• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to Survive Amusement Park

Not sure of what control you have over the day, but my advice would be to find places to take breathers a couple of times in the day. You'll likely have a few people in the group who feel this is eating up coaster time, but walking round a quieter piece of park for 10 minutes can reset everything well. There's always a couple of places that are away from the crowds.

For queues, don't think too much on where you are in the queue, where you need to be, how long it's going to take, etc. These will all up your stress levels. Queues are also good times to work out where you're heading next. The worst place to work out where you are going next is in the middle of a path just after you got off a ride, where you will have people streaming past and members of the group start wondering off.

Finally, have earplugs handy in case you end up in a particular situation you need them (like the guy behind you in a queue have an obnoxiously loud voice and laugh). I wouldn't recommend using them for extended periods as it can make the whole place seem even more confusing. You're going to be walking in busy areas where having poor sound input will make things feel unpredictable and more frustrating.

I'm not such a fan of parks as I used to be, but that's because I have two younger kids who have a tendency to walk off the moment you stop to look at a map, so half my day is spent asking "where's x gone now?"
I am also unsure how much control I will end up having/am even comfortable having but my hope is that some people will also be tired and I can at least follow them around. The standing in line bit is not fun but the main concern I have is actually fainting as I have a disorder that causes fainting if I stand for too long but I am thinking of contacting the park and asking if I could bring a small folding stool or even just something to lean on.

do you have any earplug brand you recommend or just any foam earplug?

Perhaps if the ride line looks too long, maybe just sit on a ride ledge near the ride, and let your organizer person know that so you feel okay. Your organizer probably have chunks of time aside to just rest and reorient yourself. Sounds fun! If you have something bright on, it will easier for others to spot you too. Congratulations on this new program. So glad to read that it matches up with your skill level. The only thing l have learned, is don't be afraid to ask for help, and keep asking until you find someone that truly assists you. You really have come far, and you must have a giant sense of accomplishment.

Last edited:
That is a good point. I like to read all the signage wherever I am and knowing more is always helpful.

residential but mine is residential) that helps young adults with disabilities transition to adulthood and independence by teaching life skills and job skills. Mine has classes, coaching, outings, activities, and apartment support/check ins. I was in a different program before that had less education and it was more like a group home with some job training and outings. They are all different and help different populations. My current program fits me much better than my last and I have made lots of progress. When I age out next year I believe I will be mostly equipped to live my life with minimal support.

I wish I had had a program like that. I was in a group home but they did nothing for us, it was just a place to live. I never got help with life skills or anything. I am glad you have a program that is helping you, that is a big advantage.

I wish I had had a program like that. I was in a group home but they did nothing for us, it was just a place to live. I never got help with life skills or anything. I am glad you have a program that is helping you, that is a big advantage.
the group home program was like that mostly. It was also quite the hostile environment at times. I feel so lucky to have access to the place I am now and I have made tons of progress I otherwise would not have made. It is one of my life goals now to improve access to these programs and also just raise awareness that they exist. My family had to jump through a lot of hoops to get me here and I wish it was not as hard as it was. I know that I have a chance that I didn't before because of this program and I wish that every autistic person who needs these programs could get access. The stats about employment and independence of autistic people are grim right now but that is due to lack of opportunity in many cases.

I was writing my response but everything froze and I lost my text, I was able to screen shot some of it.
IMG_1112.jpeg

@grommet l agree. And we finally figure out that dishonest people exist and you need to stay on top of situations using logic. It's a long road of learning, falling down, picking yourself back up, and trying again.

I am also unsure how much control I will end up having/am even comfortable having but my hope is that some people will also be tired and I can at least follow them around. The standing in line bit is not fun but the main concern I have is actually fainting as I have a disorder that causes fainting if I stand for too long but I am thinking of contacting the park and asking if I could bring a small folding stool or even just something to lean on.

do you have any earplug brand you recommend or just any foam earplug?

I don't know if it's available at the amusement park you plan to visit, but some places like Disneyland allow disabled people to go first in line. My autistic nephew always gets to skip the long lines at Disneyland because of his autism. You have to get special tickets before you go.

@grommet l agree. And we finally figure out that dishonest people exist and you need to stay on top of situations using logic. It's a long road of learning, falling down, picking yourself back up, and trying again.

Logic did not work for me. I am literal. In public once a man I did not know began talking to me and said he was interested in all the things I was. He talked to me for about fifteen minutes then told me he wanted to have sex with me. It was jarring, the way he changed his speaking. He talked calmly and seemed casually interested in talking to me, liking what I did. Then his words became short, his expression changed and he faced me differently. It was like the person he was before then he said something not connected to anything he had been saying.

I was caught totally unprepared because it was not logical. He had a pattern then started a new one but there was no transition I could follow. So logic did not help me.

I think many of us were bullied in school by kids who realized the could fool us because we believed what was literally said. Logic was not helpful then though I can say if someone said they were a friend but did not do friendly things, logic would help very much. I could quickly decide what category they were in and leave them. I do that now as well as I can.

As an adult I learn as much as I can about cons and frauds. There are YouTubers who teach about online fraud and I feel like I am prepared now but in-person is different. I did learn from one man who writes about it that criminals spend all of their time practicing victimizing people. You do not practice not being victimized by their particular scam so you should not feel bad if you were fooled by an expert who only practices fooling people.

I wish there were counseling and support available but as I have said I cannot find any. A counselor or worker could help me identify threats or tricks. But years ago a social worker who was supposed to be helping me kept telling me he wanted to take pictures of me. It made me feel awful but I could not explain why.

As an adult I learn as much as I can about cons and frauds. There are YouTubers who teach about online fraud and I feel like I am prepared now but in-person is different. I did learn from one man who writes about it that criminals spend all of their time practicing victimizing people. You do not practice not being victimized by their particular scam so you should not feel bad if you were fooled by an expert who only practices fooling people.

Excellent point. Precisely why I maintain a "zero-tolerance" of anyone attempting to contact me on an unsolicited basis through either the phone or email. Knowing that no matter how savvy I think I may be that there are those who spend a great deal of more time and effort honing their craft of criminal fraud.

Over the years I have had thousands of such phone calls, and to date I have never answered a single one. Now the calls have greatly subsided, but the number of fraudulent emails has risen alarmingly. I guess they've changed tactics. Luckily my email does a decent job of filtering them out at the outset. As for the rest, if they are unsolicited that remains my first line of defense in purging such messages without even examining the content.

Ironically only recently I had such an email I brought it to the attention of my landlord as the content included them as well. I was initially told to simply ignore it as being bogus, only a few days later to be told that in fact it was legitimate, but a poor business decision involving a corporate property management firm that failed to inform their employees in another state. And to think I was contemplating contacting the Attorney General's constituent services representative, and perhaps even the FBI as a matter of interstate fraud!

Basically a third party was negotiating the right to charge tenants for contacting the credit rating bureaus of tenants paying their rent on time to bolster their credit rating. At $9 a month it seemed like robbery, apart from someone like myself who doesn't need such a service to begin with. The corporate landlord decided not to go through with it, and later all tenants were notified. Not surprising this third party entity does not enjoy a positive reputation online, as often their "customers" only find out about such an arrangement after the fact.

My main concern and apprehension remained mostly as while I could identify the third party as a legitimate business, I couldn't verify whether or not the email itself was "spoofed" using the identity of this business just to host some email links that might have gone directly to malware.

Meanwhile some scams and their scammers just keep getting smarter. Making it that much tougher for people like you and I.

Last edited:
Excellent point. Precisely why I maintain a "zero-tolerance" of anyone attempting to contact me on an unsolicited basis through either the phone or email. Knowing that no matter how savvy I think I may be that there are those who spend a great deal of more time and effort honing their craft of criminal fraud.

Over the years I have had thousands of such phone calls, and to date I have never answered a single one. Now the calls have greatly subsided, but the number of fraudulent emails has risen alarmingly. I guess they've changed tactics. Luckily my email does a decent job of filtering them out at the outset. As for the rest, if they are unsolicited that remains my first line of defense in purging such messages without even examining the content.

Ironically only recently I had such an email I brought it to the attention of my landlord as the content included them as well. I was initially told to simply ignore it as being bogus, only a few days later to be told that in fact it was legitimate, but a poor business decision involving a corporate property management firm that failed to inform their employees in another state. And to think I was contemplating contacting the Attorney General's constituent services representative, and perhaps even the FBI as a matter of interstate fraud!

Basically a third party was negotiating the right to charge tenants for contacting the credit rating bureaus of tenants paying their rent on time to bolster their credit rating. At $9 a month it seemed like robbery, apart from someone like myself who doesn't need such a service to begin with. The corporate landlord decided not to go through with it, and later all tenants were notified. Not surprising this third party entity does not enjoy a positive reputation online, as often their "customers" only find out about such an arrangement after the fact.

My main concern and apprehension remained mostly as while I could identify the third party as a legitimate business, I couldn't verify whether or not the email itself was "spoofed" using the identity of this business just to host some email links that might have gone directly to malware.

Meanwhile some scams and their scammers just keep getting smarter. Making it that much tougher for people like you and I.

Three days ago, my little sister who is deaf and very naive was defrauded by someone who got her debit card number and emptied her bank account, a total of over $600.00. The thief paid a car note in Los Angeles and an AT&T phone bill. I took her to her bank, cancelled the debit card, and gave her money to replenish her bank account so she can pay her bills. The bank officer is going to try to block the two fraudulent charges but I don't have high hopes because it was a debit card.

Both the bank employee and I explained to my sister that it is a lot safer to use a credit card for purchases, to write checks to pay creditors and post them in the mail, and to never get a debit card. Laws are more protective of consumers who use credit cards. There's really nothing to protect you if someone uses your debit card online.

There's really nothing to protect you if someone uses your debit card online.

Thank you for posting. I suspect a lot of people don't realize how vulnerable one still is with debit cards.

"Police don’t investigate debit card thefts because of limited resources. Another reason for no investigation is that debit card thefts are non-violent crimes. Therefore police treat them as the lowest priority. Here you will explore debit card theft and how to avoid it. So let’s get started!"

I like to rock so I am hoping to go on some rides that rock and I may even try a roller coaster. I am most concerned about the lines and the noise. Restaurants can be too much so more people in a small space is almost impossible.
You'd probably LOVE Disneyland's "Space Mountain" then. However yes, the lines are long and compacted. The good news? They're indoors. At least in Anaheim. Makes a big difference in late summer. However...the thrill factor is amazing IMO. More a matter of being thrown than rocked.

Mostly because you don't see the turns you should lean into until it's too late. :cool:

I always loved "Pirates Of The Carribean" as well, but standing in those lines was always torture. Too many people, always too compacted in highly cordoned lines.

Last edited:
My point about keeping valuables inside your clothes was more about not having them stolen than losing them. Amusement parks are an attraction for pickpockets and occasionally snatch & run thieves.

I like to have a small amount of loose cash in my pocket so I don't have to take out a wallet to buy something.

You'd probably LOVE Disneyland's "Space Mountain" then. However yes, the lines are long and compacted. The good news? They're indoors. At least in Anaheim. Makes a big difference in late summer. However...the thrill factor is amazing IMO. More a matter of being thrown than rocked.

Mostly because you don't see the turns you should lean into until it's too late. :cool:

I always loved "Pirates Of The Carribean" as well, but standing in those lines was always torture. Too many people, always too compacted in highly cordoned lines.
Space Mountain is the absolute maximum ride I can tolerate. Even so, I'm woozy and shaken. Not going on another ride for at least an hour after.

My point about keeping valuables inside your clothes was more about not having them stolen than losing them. Amusement parks are an attraction for pickpockets and occasionally snatch & run thieves.

I like to have a small amount of loose cash in my pocket so I don't have to take out a wallet to buy something.

I never knew pickpockets were in amusement parks. Is this something you are sure about? I never heard of it. Scary.

I never knew pickpockets were in amusement parks. Is this something you are sure about? I never heard of it. Scary.

Oh yeah, amusement parks are great places for pickpockets. Lots of people and easy to disappear/hide. Pretty much any place where lots of people gather is great for pickpockets.

Oh yeah, amusement parks are great places for pickpockets. Lots of people and easy to disappear/hide. Pretty much any place where lots of people gather is great for pickpockets.

Thank you. I did not know this. I am suddenly feeling very scared because I did not know. That is an important life skill to know and I had no idea. I wish there were a book of life skills, chapters on different important things.

I am trying to imagine a pickpocket getting up in the morning to go to an amusement park just to steal people’s things. I wish the parks would catch them.

Any place that is a tourist attraction, is also a pickpocket's dream location. Lots of kids, lots of distractions, so the amusement parks are perfect for them. And we drop our guard, we are enjoying ourselves, and so on. In LA, there are people who are followed from the mall to their house,(house invasion). In Beverly Hills, people run up and rob people dinning outside in the cafe on the sidewalk, pretty scary. American is going backwards right now. And random crime is happening in places it never did before.

Thank you. I did not know this. I am suddenly feeling very scared because I did not know. That is an important life skill to know and I had no idea. I wish there were a book of life skills, chapters on different important things.

I am trying to imagine a pickpocket getting up in the morning to go to an amusement park just to steal people’s things. I wish the parks would catch them.

Imagine a team of pickpockets who coordinate their efforts all on the same "mark" (victim).

And that Hollywood made a movie about them. Just remember one rule: "Harry never holds!" ;)

Watch carefully.

You may never look at pickpockets quite the same if you see this film.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom