• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to make a space more "Aspie Friendly"

nyxjord

Was wondering if you guys might have some suggestions on how to make a space (house/ bedroom etc) friendly for those on the Spectrum? Obviously I was thinking things like no sudden/jarring noises and comfortable furniture, but what else? It's just for me/ my own space and those that might come into it.

I guess one can see if soundproofing is an option to prevent sudden noises from neighbours and such happening.

Aside from that; find furniture with textures you like (well; it has to look nice I suppose, but if you can't deal with the sensory stimulation leather gives you, I wouldn't go for a leather couch).

Friendly for those on the spectrum can go a lot of ways. Dimmable lights might be a nice solution for those with light sensitivy issues, without having the entire "either on or off" approach. Perhaps even look into what kind of doorbell you have so you don't get rattled everytime it rings (but then again; we do have an old one at the house, opposed to those electronic ones that play a tune)

I wish our bedroom had blackout curtains. The sun is up earlier this time of year than I care to be and any little light affects my sleep.
We have a sound machine set to Ocean, as any other noise (dripping water, snoring, TV on in the other room, etc.) keeps me from sleeping. The white noise is calming and puts my brain into a homeostatic state.

I have installed dimmer switches on all lights in my house. I used to get complaints about how dim the lights were in my house and apartments, I have few wall or ceiling light fixtures, I mainly have table and floor lamps. Candlelight would do it for me, but I have to make sacrifices somewhere.

I also do not like clutter, or a lot of furnishings, especially things where stuff accumulates. And that goes for display, as well. I know that my tendency to minimalism might seem cold and uninviting to others, but then, I don't invite many visitors anyways.

My number one complaint is pointy corners. Counters, furniture, doors and doorways, all of which I gripe about roundly to my husband. I may have good balance, but I'm clumsy. And bruises to prove it half the time. Them suckers need rounding off!

Swiffer products so you don't have to use a noisy vacuum!!!! What?! I can't hear what you just said!!! Or hear the telephone, or the doorbell, or the TV, or the radio or my loud, noisy neighbor "The Biatch." :confused: Hey, I think I'll keep my noisy vacuum! :D But I still highly recommend Swiffer products - and I don't work for the company. :)

I find minimal clutter, not a lot of extra furnishings, to be the most mentally comfortable. Not quite Spartan, but in that direction. It also makes cleaning easier and faster.

Swiffer products so you don't have to use a noisy vacuum!!!! What?! I can't hear what you just said!!! Or hear the telephone, or the doorbell, or the TV, or the radio or my loud, noisy neighbor "The Biatch." :confused: Hey, I think I'll keep my noisy vacuum! :D But I still highly recommend Swiffer products - and I don't work for the company. :)

Sound proofing I listen to everything loud.

Making sure everything goes back to the same place or nothing of mine is touched.

Also perhaps a personal maid I am horrible at cleaning

I like having movement and patterns, basically a 'grown up' version of the sensory rooms I've seen in special needs schools or the home make-over tv show where they included sensory elements for an autistic child.

For movement
  • ceiling hangings/mobiles
  • lava lamp
  • LED fairy lights that dim in-and-out to give a sparkly effect

For pattern
  • Artwork
  • Patterned wallpaper, duvet cover, blanket, curtains, blind, carpet etc (maybe just a few of these with patterns, rather than all of them)
Artwork with a sense of depth/distance can help make the room feel like less of a 'box', but if the 'box' feeling is desireable, then artwork without a sense of depth/distance.

Colour can have an impact on the mood and feel of a room too.

For me its a big help having a place for everything. If I don't, my room will be a mess!

And as everyone says: comfy lightning! I prefer warm yellow ish light and lightchains/fairy lights

Maybe a big whiteboard or something like that to organise everything?

Put things that make your think. A book for visits to sign, paintings, patterns in the stairs, a clear division of the space which can be accessed and that which cannot...

A nice comfortable couch (not leather) and a thick duvet for the winter to snuggle into, good soundproofing, thermostat to control the temperature, light dimmer, several smaller lights around the walls of the room rather than one bright overhead light, the window with an adjustable roll up blind so I can look out during the day and easily close it at night. A lava lamp would be good. I think that they key thing for me would be able to adjust everything so it's just right for my needs at all times.

I adore those hidden lights in the ceiling because they don't shine right into your eyes. I'm not sure the official name for them. Dimmers are also a plus.

false-ceiling-2.jpg

I adore those hidden lights in the ceiling because they don't shine right into your eyes. I'm not sure the official name for them. Dimmers are also a plus.

I know the type of lighting that you have pictured as "recessed cove".

New Threads

Top Bottom