• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to keep Cd's and Dvd's healthy and without fungus

Jorg

Today as I opened and checked a Limited Edition DVD/CD box which I bought in 2010 found the dvd's and cd's are forming somekind of fungus and the guitar pick it came with had a copper/brown sticky sustance.

The box in fact is a set of dvd's and cd's from The big 4 Live on Bulgaria and besides the discs it also came with a poster, a booklet, pictures from the bands. Seeing this only leads me to believe a lot of my other cd's/dvd's may be having it too. I live in a tropical country so the humidity could be a factor here.

So what do you suggest I could use to preserve (the most) of my collection?

Today as I opened and checked a Limited Edition DVD/CD box which I bought in 2010 found the dvd's and cd's are forming somekind of fungus and the guitar pick it came with had a copper/brown sticky sustance.

The box in fact is a set of dvd's and cd's from The big 4 Live on Bulgaria and besides the discs it also came with a poster, a booklet, pictures from the bands. Seeing this only leads me to believe a lot of my other cd's/dvd's may be having it too. I live in a tropical country so the humidity could be a factor here.

So what do you suggest I could use to preserve (the most) of my collection?

If the humidity is likely to be a factor, it seems as if a dehumidifier might be worth considering. It ocurred to me that you might not be able to afford one, but if you are a serious collector, then you must have a lot of disposable income.

Businesses exist that are for the purpose of storing or archiving things that are sensitive to environmental conditions. There are experts in such storage who could figure out a storage solution for keeping your collection safe at home. That might cost more, but you would have them handier for use. Museums often have these experts on staff.

What would've helped is not waiting 7 years to open a CD you bought in 2010.

CD's do wear out eventually. Also, if you don't handle them with great care they get finger marks and stuff all over them and stop working as a result.

What would've helped is not waiting 7 years to open a CD you bought in 2010.

CD's do wear out eventually. Also, if you don't handle them with great care they get finger marks and stuff all over them and stop working as a result.

I did opened them! :sweatsmile: But I don't use them regularly since my laptop dvd' drive broke (maybe the lack of use and heat from the cpu broke it) and I don't want to play them and wear as much, so I made a virtual copy of them (an ISO image).

I was thinking in built a closed acrylic box and store the most rare of them and buy silica packages similar to those which came with shoes to prevent humidity. I could seek for a dehumidifier as well.

I did opened them! :sweatsmile: But I don't use them regularly since my laptop dvd' drive broke (maybe the lack of use and heat from the cpu broke it) and I don't want to play them and wear as much, so I made a virtual copy of them (an ISO image).

I was thinking in built a closed acrylic box and store the most rare of them and buy silica packages similar to those which came with shoes to prevent humidity. I could seek for a dehumidifier as well.

you can use the program handbreak to convert them to a more useful file type and also rip straight from a disc.

Also if you have a huge collection, Kodi is a good option for organizing and applying applicable metadata
in a visually appealing user interface.

it took me about 2 and a half years (i have a massive movie collection) to transcode all of my movies, but was well worth it

Many CDs and DVDs suffer from manufacturing variance which causes air and/or other stuff to be trapped under the coating and/or in the main layer.

This is still a significant cause of “disc rot”.
It can take time for this to happen.

Your problem could be caused by that manufacturing variance.

Thankfully Blu-Ray doesn’t suffer from this

New Threads

Top Bottom