• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to develop self discipline when on the spectrum?

I am incredibly impulsive and I am also extremely prone to engage in addictive and unhealthy behaviors. I need to figure out a way to develop some self discipline while being my own parent, but I do not want to be too harsh on myself and I do not want to be too lenient on myself, and I can see myself doing both of those things at the same time oddly enough.

I want to curb some of my addictive habits and behaviors, and I want to work on building myself up to having a healthier body and a healthier mind. I am lacking the self discipline it takes to seek out anything outside of immediate gratification these days, and it will be the end of me if I allow it to be.
People with ADD/ADHD, depressed people, bipolar people, and people on the spectrum are known to be especially vulnerable to this.

The DSM-V calls it "impulse control disorders not otherwise specified."

Impulsive behaviors persist because there's a ping of dopamine or other pleasurable chemistry associated with them. It originates with the body's way of rewarding behavior with survival value. Shopping is a good example because it is functionally equivalent to finding a bush with sweet berries on it or stumbling onto a freshly dead wildebeest. That instinct is often less than useful in a modern world but the instinct and behavior remain.

We all need occasional pings of such chemistry. It is built into us. If you suddenly stop getting them from other sources you go and do that which you know will provide. It is rough when other sources of satisfaction are not available. You need to find your way out of your current funk and start getting pings from other sources. And tear up your credit/debit cards or at least make them inaccessible and only carry enough cash to buy exactly what you decide you need before you go shopping. Make a written list. That will force you to look elsewhere for pings.

The proprietors of businesses are all well aware of the power of the dopamine pings that spending can provide. It is part of the business plan.

Last edited:
It is good to have knowledge of ourselves both academic, scientific and from intentional introspection.

Some may be content with knowing why then again some
want to change their behavior.
The op asked how to develop self discipline.
How can we address the how part?
Does Sapolsky do so, somewhere in the Standord lectures or his books?

People with ADD/ADHD, depressed people, bipolar people, and people on the spectrum are known to be especially vulnerable to this.

The DSM-V calls it "impulse control disorders not otherwise specified."

Impulsive behaviors persist because there's a ping of dopamine or other pleasurable chemistry associated with them. It originates with the body's way of rewarding behavior with survival value. Shopping is a good example because it is functionally equivalent to finding a bush with sweet berries on it or stumbling onto a freshly dead wildebeest. That instinct is often less than useful in a modern world but the instinct and behavior remain.

We all need occasional pings of such chemistry. It is built into us. If you suddenly stop getting them from other sources you go and do that which you know will provide. It is rough when other sources of satisfaction are not available. You need to find your way out of your current funk and start getting pings from other sources. And tear up your credit/debit cards or at least make them inaccessible and only carry enough cash to buy exactly what you decide you need before you go shopping. Make a written list. That will force you to look elsewhere for pings.

The proprietors of businesses are all well aware of the power of the dopamine pings that spending can provide. It is part of the business plan.

Yeah, I do have problems with impulse control. I will bring this up to my therapist in a few days from now.

oh I like it but I'd be guessing OP prefers other stuff, I like red, but I make myself buy white because it's easier for me to say no to.

I hate all wine, but I do love craft beers and IPAs. I also love bourbon, but good bourbon is usually outside my price range.

My take is that living in the moment and making conscious correct choices beats everything else. You adult, you hold yourself accountable.

My take is that living in the moment and making conscious correct choices beats everything else. You adult, you hold yourself accountable.

Of course, you are correct. I am an adult and I know the difference between right and wrong, I just find it hard to care about that difference when I feel like my life is devoid of purpose and that is entirely my own fault.

@KagamineLen If you can, try and expose yourself to some new things every day. Whether it is YouTube videos or an event or hiking a new trail or taking a class. Something will click to give you inspiration and set you off in a new direction. Hang in there friend! If you feel you are at rock bottom, then the only direction left is UP!

New Threads

Top Bottom