• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to deal with dry skin and sensory issues

1) Try lotions that are marketed as super or fast absorbing, especially if they have no scent. Cetaphil is good. Same with CeraVe.
2) Before using the lotion, apply hyaluronic acid serum. No worries, not really an "acid." It works well with sensitive skin. It retains moisture. Trade Joe's sells one for about $8.

That combo should work.

Happy Birthday, Marc!

As above, I use conditioner in the bath. No soap.

I’ve used coconut oil on my hands and the tips of my hair.

But when going on a canoe trip, I needed something totally without scent and substituted food grade mineral oil. I found it worked better than coconut oil.

@Yeshuasdaughter and @WhitewaterWoman
Thank you both for the conditioner idea. That sounds really good...I wash my hair with conditioner in between shampooing. I never thought of washing my skin with conditioner! Maybe I would do conditioner after soap in certain areas. I will have to try and see. It will definitely leave less of a film on my skin than oil or lotion would. :) Putting it into liquid soap is also a good idea. I use a castile soap for handwashing...and I wash my hands way too much... this will probably help my sandpaper hands a lot!

By the way, I am totally into DIY beauty products, so if you have any further suggestions, I am game! I was thinking of making a spray bottle with a tiny bit of moisturizer and lots of water too... the conditioner might work better and won't clog the sprayer up as much.

I really appreciate all of the comments that everyone is sharing. This issue has been difficult for me this winter and a lot of people I have asked outside of this forum have treated me as if I was being ridiculous for not being comfortable with substances that leave a film on my skin. It's so nice to be understood and to have so many possible solutions. Thank you everyone :)

I use this cleansing bar in lieu of soap.

It cleans, but not as harshly as soap does, and so minimizes the removal of natural oils (which with regular soap can aggravate dry skin).
302993923046_1.png

OK, so I have tried the washing with conditioner thing...and it is helping some. I still am going to try the other moisturizers and the lemon/ glycerine thing, because I still need more moisture in the winter. I am still planning on doing a spray bottle w/ a little moisturizer + a lot of water. I think it may just be a matter of finding the right moisturizer through trial and error. Thank you all :)

New Threads

Top Bottom