• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to deal with dry skin and sensory issues

MC1Rcat

V.I.P Member
Hi,

I am wondering how any of you who have skin sensitivity/ touch issues deal with dry skin, especially in winter. I have very dry skin, to the point of it becoming damaged more easily in winter and then not healing as well..... and my drs say I need to use lotion after showers. I don't use soap everywhere, and only use an oatmeal glycerin bar that isn't too drying. And I have tried a lot of different lotions, mixed them with water to thin them out....I even tried plain oils after bathing. I still keep running into the same problem of not being able to tolerate the heavy feeling of it on my skin. I cannot handle feeling smothered or sticky, or my clothes & the bedsheets sticking to my skin. I cannot sleep and end up having to shower again to get the film off of my skin before I feel comfortable again. Do any of you have any advice on this? Thanks in advance :)

Definitely can relate to this. I have persistent problems with dry skin, but sensitivities to certain lotions. (The smells of some lotions, as well, will send me right back into the shower to get it off.)

I have found something tolerable and stick to it 100%. Not sure if it would meet your sensory needs, but it works for me.

2f1f825d-9555-58be-af72-0cb5ecd8cad4.jpg

Hi,

I am wondering how any of you who have skin sensitivity/ touch issues deal with dry skin, especially in winter. I have very dry skin, to the point of it becoming damaged more easily in winter and then not healing as well..... and my drs say I need to use lotion after showers. I don't use soap everywhere, and only use an oatmeal glycerin bar that isn't too drying. And I have tried a lot of different lotions, mixed them with water to thin them out....I even tried plain oils after bathing. I still keep running into the same problem of not being able to tolerate the heavy feeling of it on my skin. I cannot handle feeling smothered or sticky, or my clothes & the bedsheets sticking to my skin. I cannot sleep and end up having to shower again to get the film off of my skin before I feel comfortable again. Do any of you have any advice on this? Thanks in advance :)
With me it's more about allergies, and the chronic and endless pain and cramping in my upper back muscles. I don't know why they do that. It's like I live in a perpetual cringe state every moment that I'm alive. If something especially frustrating happens, I'm guaranteed to run out of air, breathe a tremendous sigh to blow out all the CO2, and I notice one specific back muscle balling up into a painful lump. Fun fun.

I've had very dry skin and hair all my life and I can't stand the feel of any oils on my skin.

No insect repellent.
No sunblock.

When I first started printing my skin reacted very badly to all the chemicals that I was working with and every cream and lotion doctors got me to try was useless. Eventually I talked to the Polish lady that was teaching me my trade, and she had an answer for it.

50/50 Fresh Lemon Juice and Glycerine.

Put it in an empty coke bottle and use a metal skewer to poke a single hole through the lid. Rub a few drops into the affected areas twice a day. Warning - a little bit goes an incredibly long way. It soaks in and doesn't feel greasy or sticky, and it really does work. Store the bottle in a dark place, if exposed to light it will go an ugly brown colour, it will still work but it looks disgusting.

I asked Marta where she learned that and she said that when she was a little girl in Poland her father used to work in the salt mines. I said "Wow, that must have been rough on the hands.". She laughed and said "Not as rough as trying to get fresh lemons in post war Poland.".

How it works: The lemon juice opens up the pores in your skin, this allows the glycerine to get in to the newer layers of skin forming underneath. The glycerine works like a fertilizer, feeding and strengthening that new growth so after a couple of weeks your skin becomes much stronger and healthier.

Definitely can relate to this. I have persistent problems with dry skin, but sensitivities to certain lotions. (The smells of some lotions, as well, will send me right back into the shower to get it off.)

I have found something tolerable and stick to it 100%. Not sure if it would meet your sensory needs, but it works for me.

2f1f825d-9555-58be-af72-0cb5ecd8cad4.jpg
Thanks! I haven't tried this one yet. I have to use unscented as well...my skin is also very intolerant of a lot of things.... so maybe this will work

I've had very dry skin and hair all my life and I can't stand the feel of any oils on my skin.

No insect repellent.
No sunblock.

When I first started printing my skin reacted very badly to all the chemicals that I was working with and every cream and lotion doctors got me to try was useless. Eventually I talked to the Polish lady that was teaching me my trade, and she had an answer for it.

50/50 Fresh Lemon Juice and Glycerine.

Put it in an empty coke bottle and use a metal skewer to poke a single hole through the lid. Rub a few drops into the affected areas twice a day. Warning - a little bit goes an incredibly long way. It soaks in and doesn't feel greasy or sticky, and it really does work. Store the bottle in a dark place, if exposed to light it will go an ugly brown colour, it will still work but it looks disgusting.

I asked Marta where she learned that and she said that when she was a little girl in Poland her father used to work in the salt mines. I said "Wow, that must have been rough on the hands.". She laughed and said "Not as rough as trying to get fresh lemons in post war Poland.".

How it works: The lemon juice opens up the pores in your skin, this allows the glycerine to get in to the newer layers of skin forming underneath. The glycerine works like a fertilizer, feeding and strengthening that new growth so after a couple of weeks your skin becomes much stronger and healthier.
WOW.. I have never heard of this. I will try this too. I wash my hands too much and the backs of them are like sandpaper from skin damage. Sounds like it might help. Thanks

During drier months, summer where I am now or the dry season when I lived in the tropics, the skin on my legs and arms gets very dry and flaky. And they itch. Glycerine and lemon juice fixes that too. And it costs a pittance. :)

If you try it please write back and let everyone know how it goes.

During drier months, summer where I am now or the dry season when I lived in the tropics, the skin on my legs and arms gets very dry and flaky. And they itch. Glycerine and lemon juice fixes that too. And it costs a pittance. :)

If you try it please write back and let everyone know how it goes.
I will! thanks :)

I use CeraVe Moisturizing Cream. It has no perfumes, is quickly absorbed by the skin so it is not greasy or oily, and it contains ceramides which are lipids (fats) that form a protective barrier on the skin and promotes healing.

1) Try lotions that are marketed as super or fast absorbing, especially if they have no scent. Cetaphil is good. Same with CeraVe.
2) Before using the lotion, apply hyaluronic acid serum. No worries, not really an "acid." It works well with sensitive skin. It retains moisture. Trade Joe's sells one for about $8.

That combo should work.

With me it's more about allergies, and the chronic and endless pain and cramping in my upper back muscles. I don't know why they do that. It's like I live in a perpetual cringe state every moment that I'm alive. If something especially frustrating happens, I'm guaranteed to run out of air, breathe a tremendous sigh to blow out all the CO2, and I notice one specific back muscle balling up into a painful lump. Fun fun.
I have a lot of allergies to skin products as well....I think a lot of us are sensitive to a lot of ingredients commonly used in skin products, especially fragrance.

Yeah, there's a lot of soap fragrances that not only smell revolting to the point where I don't understand why they are used, and then they are highly allergenic, too.

Virgin unrefined coconut oil with a small amount of tea tree oil mixed in if using on my face. Lotion feels slimey
I have used unrefined virgin coconut without tea tree on my face, with Avene spray water underneath, in the summer. It does not irritate my skin at all and works as well as shea butter to calm my skin, so I tried it on the body. It was still too heavy for me when I put it everywhere. My face is less tolerant of ingredients, feels tight and burned, but I can put heavy things on it and it won't bother me. The skin on the rest of my body is more tolerant of ingredients, but more sensitive to touch and the sensation of being smothered and sticky. ASD makes life weird!

Yeah, there's a lot of soap fragrances that not only smell revolting to the point where I don't understand why they are used, and then they are highly allergenic, too.
Yes, a lot of fragrances give me nausea and headaches. But that makes sense to me, because most of the chemically derived ones are made with substances that are neurotoxins. Pesticides are also made with neurotoxins... as the deadly ingredient. So, that's how I see a lot of perfumes and scented products....poison to the nervous system! I have a personal joke where I refer to perfume as bug spray

New Threads

Top Bottom