• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to deal with a grandmother who is fading rapidly?

Being a caretaker is not an easy feat. I remember how much my mother's family was involved with my father's rehab after his stroke. His own family and sisters were completely hands-off, uninvolved, and never recognized how heavy of a toll it took on my sister, my mother and I. They also magically thought his abusive nature disappeared after his stroke too. WRONG!!! It amplified at times and I will never forget being screamed at and beaten with a cane for making him dinner, which was not what he wanted but the only thing we had living on my mother's income. He was also physically and sexual abusive before his stroke, which no one believes, because he was such "a nice guy." The truth is no one knew the true him except us who lived directly under him. His stroke never diminished his cruelty and black out rages either. I still did what I could, despite him causing my own mental break down three years ago, and fulfilled my promise as a daughter to make sure he was independent and making his own calls for himself as long as he can. I did my duty to the detriment of myself and my children. Should anyone go that far as a caretaker? Absolutely not but I had to try and I was groomed into thinking it was all my fault for everything. When he started to scream and yell at my daughter, like he did to us as children, my whole world flipped upside down. I became a person I set out and made appropriate moves to never be. Lack of support does astonishing devastation, especially when you are groomed to never speak out for help. The only person who knows the whole story is your grandparent. Do not be self sacrificing in order to "save them" but as said, small compassionate things add up to being meaningful in the long run.

Sadly, over the last couple of decades of watching my grandmother choosing to be a shut-in when she was fully able to go out and do things, it may sound horrible to say it, but I lost all empathy for her because of that.

Bloody hell, that's heartless. Everyone seems to be going on about dementia because she's elderly?

But. I am autistic, I have severe anxiety & depression & some physical disabilities. I self-medicate so probably am causing early dementia. But right now, I don't have it but I AM shut-in (physically & emotionally) & do not go out and 'do things I should & could either.

I want to, I just can't bring myself to do so unless basically pressured by others. Am I to blame? How do you know why your grandmother acted like this for 20 odd years? Have you asked? How supportive were you? To say you have no compassion for her now is totally soulless & makes you a lousy human being imo. God help me then if the few people I know think like you *cries*

Edit. Just read back about the abuse etc. An abuser like that can have a lot of power over many people, generations even. Seems like there's a lot more deep stuff to this than you know. Could also explain some of your GM'S behaviour. Ever thought about that?

Last edited:
Bloody hell, that's heartless. Everyone seems to be going on about dementia because she's elderly?

But. I am autistic, I have severe anxiety & depression & some physical disabilities. I self-medicate so probably am causing early dementia. But right now, I don't have it but I AM shut-in (physically & emotionally) & do not go out and 'do things I should & could either.

I want to, I just can't bring myself to do so unless basically pressured by others. Am I to blame? How do you know why your grandmother acted like this for 20 odd years? Have you asked? How supportive were you? To say you have no compassion for her now is totally soulless & makes you a lousy human being imo. God help me then if the few people I know think like you *cries*

Edit. Just read back about the abuse etc. An abuser like that can have a lot of power over many people, generations even. Seems like there's a lot more deep stuff to this than you know. Could also explain some of your GM'S behaviour. Ever thought about that?

She enabled a couple of generations worth of sexual abuse in my family. She does not deserve the benefit of the doubt in this case. The only people she really wants to hang with are the creepy uncle who molested my mother and the creepy aunt who molested me.

She enabled a couple of generations worth of sexual abuse in my family. She does not deserve the benefit of the doubt in this case. The only people she really wants to hang with are the creepy uncle who molested my mother and the creepy aunt who molested me.

That puts a whole different slant on your original post. Perhaps you should have mentioned that first off? That information changes everything. Sorry you went through all that & then some :-/

New Threads

Top Bottom