• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How old were you when you first spoke?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Me? As I recall I was just turned 3 (circa mid April 1979) I was a late talker.

And then for a few years I had to have speech therapy as I spoke with a lisp, couldn't pronounce my S's.

How about you lot?

I think it was when I was 4, not even properly at that and the german had some russian mixed in.

6 or 7 - whatever age I would have been in second grade. My family says before that I just made sounds like "uh uh uh", but I remember thinking I was saying the words. Speech therapy to learn how to talk. I still mostly didn't like to talk.

I don't know exactly. I'm told that I didn't have a speech delay, but had advanced vocabulary for my age and learned to read very early.

Didn't speak in full sentences until around four years of age.

I guess I just didn't have anything to say until then. :p

Not sure. I do know I went to see a speech pathologist at age 8 but was speaking before that.

I was probably around the same age most kids are when they start to speak. In fact, I developed pretty normally as a baby.

I don't know exactly, except my Mom always said I spoke earlier than most kids she had seen.
Less than a year old probably. First word was Kitty.
Had some difficulty with pronouncing certain letters and words though.
My Grandmother had me scared to death I remember, because she kept telling my parents I was
tongue tied and would need to have the underside of my tongue clipped!
Thankfully NO! :eek:

I think around 3. I have a very vague memory of being able to say a few sentances.

However, I was told that I did not learn to crawl until late, but no age was given.

My issue was not being able to explain myself. I know that I went through a phrase of feeling absolutely wretched at seeing white. I remember the panic and turning my head away from the white walls, but not being able to say anything, other than: I feel horribly sick.

Other instances had to have been me being verbal, due to the circumstances, but never being able to explain the emotion.

4. I spoke adult words by 5 with the help of a special and language unit I went to and a speech therapist for a few years after starting mainstream school. Speaking at 4 makes me feel close to someone like Einstein despite clearly having an intellectually inferior mind. But I'm okay with that.

Right around the time I started elementary school, I went from being nonverbal to speaking in complete sentences. So, I'm not sure if I couldn't speak or if I just didn't speak.

I could read at 3 years old and knew my multiplication tables up to 12x12 by 4.

My parents insist I spoke by the age of two months. I find this hard to believe, but I did develop language abilities early, nonetheless. This is why I was very opposed to the clinical merging of classic autism with Aspergers. They are not the exact same thing, and even EEG studies in 2013 confirmed this.

When I spoke for the first time, it was when I was 4 or 5. I remember starting kindergarten and not talking a lot. My communication was also terrible. So I went to homeschooling and went back to school for HS.

I started talking on schedule, then went almost silent from 12-15 months, then skipped to complex sentences with at least one dependent claise.

New Threads

Top Bottom