• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How my NT illusion was shattered. Was it ASD or something else?

tfwo

V.I.P Member
About 20 years ago before I knew about ASD, I went through a rather significant breakdown. At the time, I didn't really have any idea clear idea as to why it was happening to me. I was afraid that I might have been going insane. Although I'd always known that I was somehow different from everyone around me, I didn't know why. So I began writing "a lot", and taking inventory of the ways that I was different from everyone else my age. Looking back I can see that this had the unfortunate oversight of me comparing myself to NT's, which at the time, I thought that I was. As a result, I've put myself through much more hell than needed over the last 20 years.

In hindsight, this is how the period of, and leading up to my breakdown played out. But I need to fill in some details beforehand.

(Point #1) Throughout my memory of childhood, I've always tended to live in my head, or preferably, go off by myself and pursue my own interests. As I got older, I would pursue my interest in areas of the house that I'd claimed to isolate myself. In fact, I've done this in every house that I've lived in for any length of time. (I'm grateful that my parents were alright with this.)

(Point #2) I took electronics in high school, and co-op'd at xxxxx service center. My parents knew the manager there, and helped get me the job. I was there for 5 years, and had several friends that I had mutual interests with. To some degree, the job acted as a glue, a common interest, that helped hold our friendships together. Aside from the companies lack of interest in employing me full time, I was rather comfortable there. When I was 21, they laid me off for several weeks just before Christmas. Then again they did it a year later when I was 22. At the time my uncle had been working at zzzzzzzzzz, and recommended that I consider working there, which I did.

(Point #3) My beloved interest for the past few years had been my 1972 C-10 Chevy pickup. If you'd have driven it, you'd know what I mean. :)

(Point #4 - The Fall ) For the first few months at the new job, I'd been too busy to really notice what was going on. I think that I attributed it to anxiety with the new job. Now I think that I was getting in over my head on multiple levels. Dealing with customers has always been uncomfortable for me, but I'd learned how to deal with them for a few moments at a time at xxxxx. In the new job I was often in the customers home for an hour or two at a time. The job was not as fulfilling for me as working with electronics. Although I got along with the people there, we rarely saw each other, but there wasn't much that I had in the way of common interests with them. As time went on, the clouds gathered over head, I could feel them. I remember telling one of the guys there that I had no emotional outlet. He had no reply. (What was I thinking?) It was a call for help I guess. This ultimately culminated with me quiting the job. I was so so far at the end of my rope, that it took all of my energy and effort just to do one service call, when 4 to 5 are typical. My thinking was not clear. I seemed to have developed such a hypersensitive temperament, that it felt like the emotions of others bore straight through to the core of my soul, even if they were not directed at me. I could hardly bear to be in the same house with people arguing. When I spoke with the supervisor about quitting, he mentioned something to the effect that I should get some professional help.

(Point #5) I was at that time living on the second floor of my fathers house. Due to parking difficulties on the street of my fathers house, I had to find somewhere to put my truck. I ultimately let my brother use it. :(

(Point #6) After I had been on the new job for a few months, my father sold his house, and I had to move into the spare bedroom at my grandparents house. I left many boxes of my belonging behind, because I didn't really have a place to put it all. In the new living situation, I didn't have room for a workbench, or means to pursue my electronics interests. The worst part of it was the family, "what's wrong?","Are you all right?"...Me,"No I'm half left." I had no idea about what was going on. I felt as if my world was falling apart, and I was loosing my mind. I felt very bad energy in that house that overwhelmed me, and I tried to only go there when I had to.

Due to not being able to have quality isolation time (Point #1 & 6), and being separated from my interests (Points 2,3, & 6), as well as having a job with a higher level of stress, and a much less fulfilling social life (Point #4), led me to consciously act out in desperation. I truly did not understand what was happening to me, which led me into a rather profoundly deep period if introspection, studying, and writing.

After quiting the job at zzzzzzzzzz, I moved into and apartment, and found the perfectly laid-back job at the airport. It was the night shift through the weekends, with 10 hour shifts. Many nights went by where we didn't get a single plane in. So I spent my time, reading, and writing about the nature of the breakdown, relationships, and of ways to make things more manageable. I ate rather little during that time. I slept about 10 hours a day. The isolation that the job and living situation provided, as well as the work I'd put into clarifying my thoughts, slowly allowed me to recharge, and consider moving forward with my life. I worked at the airport for about 9 months, then decided that it was time to attempt to put my life back together.

My question to you, dear readers... Does the paragraph below sound like it was written by someone with ASD given the above situation? Or might it be somthing else? This is from my writings, at the beginning of grappling with what I was dealing with.

" Over the past several months my empathic sensitivity has been increasing, and making me very sensitive to the world around me. I always been empathic, but recently it's been getting to the point that it can become more than I can handle at times, to deal with all of these strong feelings, which build up inside until I feel as if my soul will be torn apart. I have no outlet for these emotions, so they keep building up and causing me great distress."

Dear tfwo,

I am an NT but I have experience with ASD and aspergers thanks to a family friends child I grew up with having autism and my ex being aspergers.
As for myself, I consider my self an empathy and personality wise, I am an INFJ (a type of introvert personality type) which means that I prefer my own company but am also somewhat social and tend to pick up on people's emotions/states/difficulties more easily than most (INFJs are known for being extremely insightful).

Just from the description of your experiences and your writing excerpt, it sounds to me as though you may also be a highly sensitive person.
Sensitivity to others can be part of ASD however without proper testing and talking with a professional with lots of experience in this area it would be very hard to say whether you are ASD or not.
In general, however, I would say that you sound a lot like some form of introvert; unlike extroverts who gain energy from interaction with others, introverts lose energy in social interactions and if not allowed to go off and do their own thing to recharge, introverts very quickly become overwhelmed and burn out.

Dear tfwo,

I am an NT but I have experience with ASD and aspergers thanks to a family friends child I grew up with having autism and my ex being aspergers.
As for myself, I consider my self an empathy and personality wise, I am an INFJ (a type of introvert personality type) which means that I prefer my own company but am also somewhat social and tend to pick up on people's emotions/states/difficulties more easily than most (INFJs are known for being extremely insightful).

Just from the description of your experiences and your writing excerpt, it sounds to me as though you may also be a highly sensitive person.
Sensitivity to others can be part of ASD however without proper testing and talking with a professional with lots of experience in this area it would be very hard to say whether you are ASD or not.
In general, however, I would say that you sound a lot like some form of introvert; unlike extroverts who gain energy from interaction with others, introverts lose energy in social interactions and if not allowed to go off and do their own thing to recharge, introverts very quickly become overwhelmed and burn out.

Angel123, Thank you, I completely agree with your reply. I am borderline INTJ/INTP. I'm scheduled to get my evaluation started on the second of February. I agree that at times I am sensitive, sometimes overly so. Yet at other times I can be quite clueless. My sensitivity seems to have something to do with my stress level, which is influenced largely by my environment, which I try to control as much as possible.
I've also made a list of 67 reasons that suggest that I might be on the spectrum, but as you pointed out, these things are not simple to diagnose.

Last edited:
Different specifics but, all of that sounds familiar if you change the type of career and change relatives to housemates.

I focused more on the empathic aspect when I went through that myself and, actually got into psionics, metal shielding, energy work, whatever you want to call it. Surprisingly to me at the time, it worked, I got my empathy under control and, stopped that from overloading me. I also used what I learned to develop a very thick emotional skin, serves me well but, it does have drawbacks. I do a lot of "Well if I weren't so thick skinned, I'd feel this way." now but, that beats living on overload 24/7. I've got enough other stuff in my life that pushes me close to overload. I don't need runaway empathy doing it too.

I also took a little acronym to heart F.L.Y. First Love Yourself. No that doesn't mean be conceited or overly vain, it means make time to do nice things for yourself no matter how hectic and stressful your life is, take care of yourself first, the rest will fall into place and, you'll be better able to be there for others, do your job and, all of the other things life demands of you.

Yes, that feels selfish at first, but, it takes a while for the results to start manifesting in your day to day life and, then you see it isn't selfish, it's making you your best so that you can be who and what those you care for need you to be when they need you a lot more often. It's enabling you to perform at your best in your job and other activities and, it's keeping you sane.

Different specifics but, all of that sounds familiar if you change the type of career and change relatives to housemates.

I focused more on the empathic aspect when I went through that myself and, actually got into psionics, metal shielding, energy work, whatever you want to call it. Surprisingly to me at the time, it worked, I got my empathy under control and, stopped that from overloading me. I also used what I learned to develop a very thick emotional skin, serves me well but, it does have drawbacks. I do a lot of "Well if I weren't so thick skinned, I'd feel this way." now but, that beats living on overload 24/7. I've got enough other stuff in my life that pushes me close to overload. I don't need runaway empathy doing it too.

I also took a little acronym to heart F.L.Y. First Love Yourself. No that doesn't mean be conceited or overly vain, it means make time to do nice things for yourself no matter how hectic and stressful your life is, take care of yourself first, the rest will fall into place and, you'll be better able to be there for others, do your job and, all of the other things life demands of you.

Yes, that feels selfish at first, but, it takes a while for the results to start manifesting in your day to day life and, then you see it isn't selfish, it's making you your best so that you can be who and what those you care for need you to be when they need you a lot more often. It's enabling you to perform at your best in your job and other activities and, it's keeping you sane.

Thank you Beverly for your insight. I know what you mean about developing the "thick skin", as I've had to do that as well. But I definitely need to work more on taking care of my own needs. I've been living my life by the standards and conventions of the NT world for so long, that changing is a bit of a challenge.

Sadly, with the state of society in general now, we have to pretty much pass as NT to succeed in this world. It is far from easy and, it only gets harder to do without loosing your real self as you get better at passing. Creating a safe place with safe people where you can drop the façade, take off the NT mask and just be yourself is not easy. Finding time to be in that place once you have it isn't easy either and, the better the façade works, the more demands are placed on you that require that façade.

Keep doing it and, you find yourself, as I have, having to say "No, I have already made other arrangements for that time and, I can't change them." Just to get you "me time." And, there you go again, using your "proper scial words" and sounding all too NT, even when you're sitting alone in your living room.

One good thing about living by NT standards, it does teach you the façade you need to succeed very well, it's learning how to drop that in your safe place that's the real challenge. How to shift gears, how to relax, how to stop your mind from over analyzing your every action and word to see if it's NT enough.

Start with just five minutes per day when you do something you want to do just because you want to and, you aren't allowed to do or say anything that isn't instinctive and natural. Build on that, adding time as you can until you find how much you need to decompress from the day, and actually feel right with yourself. It isn't easy to do and, some days you simply won't have enough time but, if you can find it even two or three days a week, it does wonders for your attiude, peace of mind and, stress levels.

Dear tfwo,

I'm an INFJ, HSP aspie. It's hellish.

I hope you're making enough to live independently. Even though others around you may mean well, since they can't relate and don't understand, they are holding you back from being yourself.

It is okay to live by your own standards as long as:
1. They are not hurting anyone else.
2. You are able to survive on your own without depending on others' by living under their roof or using their money.

If you must live on someone else's roof, you have to do your best to respect their wishes because you are under their mercy basically. A lot of us here know how you feel. I hope you find something that works for you. In some ways, I still feel like I'm in your shoes despite some of my successes and luck.

New Threads

Top Bottom