• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How long can someone survive with no friends?

When I try to make friends they say I am too loud, talk too much, act like I have high anxiety which makes them nervous. I know I never smile and stare a lot without really noticing, it creeps people out. The only people I am around is people at work and each job I have people stay clear of me. I know they are trying to figure out what is wrong with me but they cannot pinpoint it. I have high functioning autism and I laugh 30 seconds later than all and never smile. I try to smile but they can tell I am uncomfortable smiling. I have huge social issues at work and always get fired stating I don't fit with culture of company. I have no friends and have not for 13 years. It is so hard to fake all the time that you have emotion and are very happy
I get you. Smiling is one of my issues as well. Just remember, you are not a bad person just because some people don't like you. Also, just because someone is well liked, does not necessarily mean that person is 'good' either.

For me, I decided to not worry about it much anymore. I will admit about a year ago I made a new best friend and we speak almost every day. It might not be a local friend, but still consider them a real friend.

I learning how to enjoy life without people since I been disappointed by many people. If I meet someone decent during my life time it would be an added bonus. I focus on doing my camping and hiking trips as this makes me happy. The last few years I haven't been happy because I didn't have a stable income. Since I have a stable income, I can enjoy life again. What important to me as long I have that stable income, I can be happy.

I might get a chance to meet my best friend one day.

I have high functioning autism and I laugh 30 seconds later than all and never smile. I try to smile but they can tell I am uncomfortable smiling.

That's always been a social liability for me as well as an adult. The inevitable, "What's wrong? Smile!"

I just don't smile without a lot of reason. Yet people just assume something is always wrong because I don't. :oops:

Thus my nickname earned as a child. Walking around like a judge with a serious look on my face. ;)

The ironic thing is that even we on this forum would not necessarily all be good friends with each other just because we share a diagnosis, sad, but true. You need friends or someone to engage with and for those you want to know how to deal with lonliness (ok you do probably have to pay for it) this program was on the BBC recently and would be of some help to you all I think. https://store.bbc.com/the-age-of-loneliness

Without friends or otherwise romance, too much goes un-experienced in life and you watch on bitterly, enviously or desperately seeking to join the human race and be counted/significant and be heard.

The ironic thing is that even we on this forum would not necessarily all be good friends with eachhigher just because we share a diagnosis, sad, but true. You need friends or someone to engage with and for those you want to know how to deal with lonliness (ok you do probably have to pay for it) this program was on the BBC recently and would be of some help to you all I think. https://store.bbc.com/the-age-of-loneliness

Without friends or otherwise romance, too much goes un-experienced in life and you watch on bitterly, enviously or desperately seeking to join the human race and be counted/significant and be heard.

In Buddhism they teach that you should practise detachment from people. That means
not getting upset if someone hurts you or rejects you. Do you believe in a higher power, or is that something you might explore? I am starting to take up meditation for spiritual development. Your main emotional supply should come from you and from your connection with God. Other people will come and go. Some people get rejected by others more than the average person. Maybe this is your path. So work with what you've got. I hope things work out for you.

New Threads

Top Bottom