• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How it feels to have a pet rabbit for 8 years

Turbocks

I am a 19 year old teenage boy with aspergers and when I was 10 years old in 2011 my little sister wanted a pet bunny and we named him Gusten which is a common rabbit name in Sweden.

HNI 0033 — Postimage.org

This is a picture of him I took in 2014 using my Nintendo 3ds internal camera when I was 13 years old.

In total this little guy lived for a total of 8 years and he eventually succumbed to old age and age related health issues during summer last year including respiratory problems and issues with his teeth.

We never neutered him but I never had that big of a problem with it because the only thing I really noticed was that he was very territorial over his cage area and everything else inside it because if somebody tried to take away or touch any items in his cage he would growl and bite you as a warning.

And sometimes he would urinate on things he was not supposed to so we had to set a limit on how long to keep him in my lap but besides we mainly kept him in an outside cage so that was also not a major problem.

What he was ok with though was being handled and he was also incredibly tame and loving when sitting in my lap preferring to lick anybody even complete strangers and he would also frequently make that relaxing noise with his teeth when relaxed and sometimes he even fell asleep.

He also had so much personality because if there was one thing he did quite often when he was younger it was building specific areas in his cage such as a toilet area or even a sleeping area and he built them himself with pieces of straw and dried grass.

He also reacted differently to certain people because for example whenever my dad held him he would actually fall asleep in his arms and when he saw my mum he would get all excited and start running around presumably because my mom was the first thing he saw when he was a baby.

During those years I learned so much about the behaviour of these animals in terms of body language because I figured out when he was excited for example when I came home from school and went to his cage or when he thought he was going to get food or when he knew there was food .

He would basicly start running around in his cage all excited and he would also stand on his hind legs and stretch out his front paws through the cage bars while staring at me like a little puppy with those adorable eyes.

At one point he also had a girlfriend
and eventually we had 9 baby bunnies
but sadly one of them disappeared and the other one became sick so my parents had to euthanise him.

I have never had a pet quite as adorable and amazing as him and I will probably buy myself a rabbit once I have the money and a home of my own.

I currently own a 145 liter freshwater aquarium but that sure hasn't stopped me from thinking of having more pets that are not fish.

They truly are incredible pets for those that can keep up with the maintenance needed to keep them healthy

Last edited:
I had a lot of pets too and I don't see my life without them. They're all different as species and they have different individual personalities. They're amazing.
When I go walking my dogs in the fields, they like running like crazy and going on their own. They just come back regularily when I call them, but they go explore by themselves most of the time, especially the younger one. I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed some weeks ago, and when I went to walk them, they were staying very near me and checking if I was alright. They didn't go to run on their own at all because they knew I was "injured". They really cared.
I had a rabbit too when I was younger and I was leaving him running freely some hours per day, and when I was resting on the bed he was jumping and running all around me until I stood up :D He was fun.

I've never had a pet rabbit and really enjoyed reading your description of what they are like. I wouldn't mind getting one except we're not getting any new pets so we can travel without having to worry about pet care while we're gone. As our pets age and die, we're not replacing them, and we're down to one old dog and 2 old cats now. The donkeys, horses and chickens don't really count as pets because I can always get my sister or one of my daughters to take care of them while we're gone. Maybe when I'm too old to jump on a plane and go somewhere, I'll get a rabbit then to sit in my lap and keep me warm.

I love rabbits. There are many wild ones where I live and I see them all the time. I think they are adorable. I am tempted to get one as a pet. A domesticated one I mean.

Here's a picture of one I saw yesterday:

6TtDEcL.png

Never realized a rabbit could live so long!
I used to have a little wild rabbit that was found in the yard; his nest was probably hit by the neighbors' lawn mower. He was a neat little pet but very territorial, snappish, didn't like being handled at all. We turned him loose when he was big enough to go back & he did well in the wild again. Now that rabbits have returned to the neighborhood I like watching them.

Sorry to hear about your pet. Eight years sounds like quite a run for one rabbit.

"Rabbits are a group of curious, social animals called lagomorphs, not rodents as many assume. Domestic rabbits can live eight to 12 years, but rarely survive on their own outdoors where they lack the survival skills of their wild cousins. Like dogs or cats, rabbits can be easily trained to use litter boxes, answer by name and may affectionately “nose-bump” your ankles. Many also live cage-free indoors with a 'home base' supplied with a litter box, hiding areas, blankets and toys."

“It’s like having a vegan cat,” says Anna Reynoso, the manager at a shelter run by the House Rabbit Society in Richmond, Calif.

New Threads

Top Bottom