• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How good are your teamwork skills?

Rob

V.I.P Member
It's good to be back on this forum.

Have you a job that requires a lot of teamwork? If so, do you have challenges in interacting with the other employees?

For example, in my new grocery store job as general clerk, I sometimes have had to go into a chaotic warehouse where one employee has a cart full of merchandise and I have to get by the cart clearing the other cart by a few inches! And with other grocery carts lying around just inches beside me.

It is easy to get frustrated and confused in this situation if your teamwork skills are impaired. Over the years my teamwork skills had to develop along a steep learning curve. I have much more to develop too in this area.

Which brings me to the above question - how have you been able to develop teamwork skills in jobs that required them in the past?

Yes, it was one of my strengths. Part is not thinking/focusing on yourself. Focus on contributing to make the job work better collectively. Btw, team players are in a minority.

Keep plugging away until another opportunity comes along.
When opportunity knocks,it is all up to you to open the door for it ;)

I'm not able to answer that question without adding how it worked for me.When my employers saw how I carried a team of workers,I was put in charge of them.At that point,I was a part of another team that carried the company on another level.
A good crew behind a leader make the leader successful if he knows how to do his job by applying his workforce in the most efficient way. My butt got to polish the CEO chair several times during my career as a result of managing team players to the best of my ability.

My teamwork skills are not very good, probably because I have had little experience working with a team of any kind. I spent almost all of my working career by myself. All of my sports participation have been in individual sports. I put a lot of value on my alone time. I just seem to do better by myself, so I can set my pace, think things out and do what ever I need to do. The odd thing is that I am not slow. I have to be careful not to get in a hurry and miss something.

I pushed myself to work well with other people. It wasn't easy, given my lack of social skills, but I knew it was necessary for success in those past jobs.

I can work well in a team but it requires a great deal of mental and emotional energy. I cannot not sustain the effort for long periods of time. I usually end up getting the sack because I am not a team player, or because I have a negative attitude.

I'm currently at college, I'm studying electronic engineering and usually I get along well with people but this year has been terrible, group projects have been driving me crazy sometimes. In one course I had to work with a dude who is almost 25years older than the rest of us, at beginning I didn't think it would be a problem but having 4 months passed I'm praying for this friday to come (last project is due to that day). It isn't only me who feels this way, my other partner ( a non aspie/autistic guy) feels the same way but I had to work with him in more ocassions.

On the other course I work with guys of my age, it is not as bad but I'm having problems bacause the lab course is a really disorganized one, we only make 3 projects and we don't get any theory or instruction of how to do it, the theory course which goes parallel to the lab is horrible schedueled, I even remember a professor who told us to enroll theory class first and the next semester enroll the lab because it makes more sense. Well, I'm a person who needs to understand and study how do things work before start the design...my colleagues just start to do things randomly. In this last project I have to program a device in a language called verilog, my programming skills are not great and I know I need to work on them but how can I work when my partner, a guy who I must say is doing most of the project, has a lot of messy code? I mean the books I've read say we must use clear and discribe¿ing variable names and comment the code, the one he's writing has vague names and is poorly commented, so the rest of us have to study what was his meaning on most of the code, he writes all in the same sentence without leaving clear understandable paths nor newlines, try to read that thousand lines code from someone else and talk to me...

On general this year has been dificult, we often work in a general electronic students laboratory and I get tired quickly, the room is full of people and all of them are talking at the same time, the noise is very irritating and several times I just wanted to run. Even once they left me waiting on the lab for 6h because they weren't on the campus, I can understand 10-15min late but 6h and two of them had the same classes as me but they don't go because they don't like to go classes...

I work with a good team at PDSA, it also helps that the Manager, Gemma, is fit as a Butcher's dog and gorgeous!

I don't "do" team work though usually, I prefer working either solely alone or in very small groups, or 1 to 1, but they insist on 2 people on the till at once at PDSA, one to serve and one to do Gift Aid sign ups and write down the Gift Aid numbers for sales.

Teamwork skills? Good- not great. Enough to play the game politically if needed. But it's been 20 years since I had to. And I'd prefer not to. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom