• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you react when the phone rings?

I have a landline and cellphone. I never answer either unless it's work and I'm on call or it's my friend Mary or Ma. Usually I'm doing something on the cellphone other than using it as a phone and a call will come in. I jump, of course, say some word that's not ladylike and make sure I don't touch the screen again because then the person will be right there. Work has started calling my cell phone to see if I'll work extra thinking that if they call the cell phone then I'll answer - just because its on. I still don't. :rolleyes:
My landline I keep for the alarm system, but I said I will never give it up because it still works when the electricity goes off. I never want to be with just a cell phone. If the lights went out and I had no way of calling out to get ahold of someone, I would have a panic attack. :eek: I remember when I took a trip up into Amish country and my cell phone wouldn't work and kept dropping the calls (I could still get texts from Alaska - go figure). I never felt more alone and scared. How does a landline phone work with no electricity? Can anyone tell me?
Of course I get a lot of telemarketers and I do my best to block those. I got so many one time I had used every space for call blocking on my landline phone and also had to turn off the ringer completely but could still hear any important messages left. If they don't leave a msg then it's must not be that important.

Last edited:
How does a landline phone work with no electricity? Can anyone tell me?

If it's a landline from a conventional phone company through the phone jack that is a separate electrical source. I kept such a service until 2009. It came in handy a few times when our electrical grid went down, and yet I could still call the utilities company to inquire about the duration of the outage.

But since then my landline goes through a cable modem. So if the grid goes down, so does my landline.

For what I was paying for only local phone service with a true landline, I pay less monthly and can now call at no additional charge anywhere in the continental US. So having a less reliable system is more than worth it for me.

My favourite mode for my iphone5 is flight mode. Kinda like to think I am avoiding frying my testis with microwave radiation intermittently. On the downside, when my mum passed away 2 months ago, I got a shock to see her dead (my brother sent a post mortem MMS photo). I was 3700 Km away- lucky my heart didn't stop right there and then.

[QUOTE=". How does a landline phone work with no electricity? Can anyone tell me?
.[/QUOTE]
Landline phones are powered by large batteries at the exchange. They are direct current and 48 Volt.

I don't react much at all, because I know that thanks to 21st century technology, I can screen every single call I get. If it's an unknown number, you had better leave a message, because otherwise you'll never hear from me again! In fact, having an iPhone makes it even easier, as it makes it easy to see which numbers left which voicemails...before, I had the hardest time keeping track, and you'd be lucky if I got back to you at all, no matter who you were!

I am instantly annoyed because I don't want to stop whatever I am doing and work to carry on a conversation when I know most people think I am weird. I live alone and am almost a hermit. I have two adult kids and I usually enjoy talking to them for a few minutes but then, I start searching for the right thins to say or I am simply not interested in whatever they are talking about. I have a older brother in another state and I do love him, but he never has anything interesting to say. Finally, if someone brings up a subject that really interests me I am very likely to take over the conversation and then THEY can't wait to get off the phone. I never text or do anything like social media. Most the stuff I have read on Facebook is totally trite and I can't be bothered with that stuff. There are a few people and forums that I enjoy and I like email because I can read and think and react before I write anything. When I am on the phone I usually play Solitaire for something to do. Guess I am an Aspie, huh?

I hear you because I have a lot of that same thing. Conversation gets kind of difficult and I do get sick of Facebook philosophers that not only post the philosophy but live hypocritically. Am I judgemental, you betcha :-D LOL! I'm starting to find that Aspies Central has a lot of interesting people on it and some of my daily needs for connection are met simply by sharing and learning from others. The folks on Aspies Central are pretty interesting, supportive, and delightfully quirky people. I wish I'd discovered this board sooner.

My husband get so mad because he hates that I don't pick up the phone. I have an aversion to the the telephone most defintiely!

My phone is on silent all the while, people know to leave a message and I'll get back to them. My landline is for computer use only and has no phone attached.

I actually got a personal phone call yesterday. My one friend in R/L. My intuition told me to pick up the call since it was from my old neighborhood in another state. Lucky for me...had a lot to catch up on.

The house phone is on silent. If people do not know not to bother calling it, they figure it out after a while.

I have done a lot to get the phone out of my life. I do have to use the phone for business - and that is enough of that. At least in business situations and negotiating on the phone, I am very adept and know exactly what to say. I have hundreds of business contacts and could end up on the phone a lot but I try to re-direct people to emailing. In social calls with little or no agenda, no goal? Awful.

So, I have actually tried to have a few in the past 2.75 years after a full ten years with no social chit-chat phones calls. I succeeded at some. Most were weird. I have figured out that if there can at least be some agenda to help anchor the call, that works best. Like if someone has a problem and needs advice? I am actually quite good at that.

I use my mobile phone for text, email, apps...

I, too hate it when the phone rings. First, it's surprises me and second, it pulls me away from doing something that I want to do or interrupts me asking me to do something that I don't want to do.

Generally, I'm not a phone person. There is a lot of awkward silence and well, awkwardness in general. It's like running into someone and being forced into a conversation, which I dislike.

The exception to this is I really like getting a call from my wife and children.

I usually ignore it and tell my partner to answer and say I'm out then i will decide weather to call back. If I'm alone i totally ignore it. I hate when you get up to answer the phone from cooking or a nap and its a sales person or wrong number so now i only answer if i feel like it.

Most of the time can be annoyed. I don't have any friends so most calls I get might be about a bills or some stupid tele marketer.

I have to deliberate for a moment if I'll answer or let it ring. I'm better at holding conversations over the phone now, but it's still awkward.

It depends. I'm ok if I'm expecting a call. I can chat with someone I know for about 15 minutes. If I don't recognise the number, I let it go to voicemail. I figure if it's important they will leave a message. If I'm having a bad day, I just turn it off.

New Threads

Top Bottom