• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you make your plans?

Aspie_With_Attitude

V.I.P Member

This video explains how I make basic plans and what it all means to make things happen the way you want them to happen.

Since everyone is different, how do you make your plans?
Is it written down like in a diary?
Do you keep them in your thoughts and just focus on the plans?
Or do you some what illustrate what your plans are?

In most "important stuff", like where I have to be at X o'clock, month/day, my S.O. does it, and yells instructions.

For the meaningless stuff I care about, like what's next in the plant/grow/harvest/preserve sequence, I follow a flexible mental clock.

I use methods suitable to the task. For a day trip running errands, I'll have a standard checklist, selections from the standard grocery list, and the special requests of the month.
For a cross-country trip, I study maps, and sometimes use Google Street View to preview the tricky bits.
Often, work planning involves a lot of semi-formal drafting with dimensions. If I'm moving to a new place, I may make a scale drawing of the floor plan, with cutouts of all my furniture to try in different arrangements. Sometimes there's a lot of measuring and math. I've just been through several days of experiments to find out how much power a refrigerator would take if re-built to fit a space in my car. Other times, the work will be greatly affected by the materials on hand, or even inspired by them.

This video explains how I make basic plans and what it all means to make things happen the way you want them to happen.

Since everyone is different, how do you make your plans?
Is it written down like in a diary?
Do you keep them in your thoughts and just focus on the plans?
Or do you some what illustrate what your plans are?
I have an online scheduler called "Cozi." It is my home page when I first bring the PC up in the morning. I also get notifications from it.

I like lists. I make lists upon lists. I know that it's the process of making it that is helpful to me rather than referencing the list itself. Writing things down in an organized way helps me to execute my plans in an organized way, too.

I keep everything in my head, much like that kitchen draw where you stuff the things that have no place and cry when you open it to find a ball of string has unravelled around everything else.

I am a huge planner user. I have had paper planners since I was about 8 and have used it extensively since I was around 11 or 12, for school stuff but also everything else. I can't work with a planner in my phone, it has to be on paper. I write down all my appointments and stuff I need to remember in there. Reading my planners from earlier years is a bit like reading a diary. I also make to-do lists for singular days or for the week in there - not for every day, but when I have a lot on my mind. I also write myself little reminders in there. Usually, I keep my plans for the day in my mind, but when it's a lot of stuff, lists I can tick off help me not to forget anything.

Quite often I don't even know what day it is until I look at the date on my computer, but I always had high executive function. When I get an idea of having to do something a detailed plan of every step I have to take in order to achieve my goals instantly forms in my head. It's not something I think about, the path I need to take just seems obvious and as circumstances change those plans will adjust themselves automatically.

I have no problem remembering appointments and schedules, I never use any sort of reminders and instead I rely on my own brain to keep things in mind. It rarely lets me down.

When I was a kid my father read a whole lot of books on memory management, and because I always read everything he gave them to me when he was finished. I learnt a few little tricks from them but for the most part they merely said to do what I already did instinctively anyway. One point has stuck with me since childhood:

Memory is like any other muscle in your body, if you don't regularly exercise it then it will diminish. Use it or lose it.

I never write things down, not even phone numbers, I commit them to memory instead. The same with appointments, I make my brain do the work.

Quite often I don't even know what day it is until I look at the date on my computer, but I always had high executive function. When I get an idea of having to do something a detailed plan of every step I have to take in order to achieve my goals instantly forms in my head. It's not something I think about, the path I need to take just seems obvious and as circumstances change those plans will adjust themselves automatically.

I have no problem remembering appointments and schedules, I never use any sort of reminders and instead I rely on my own brain to keep things in mind. It rarely lets me down.

When I was a kid my father read a whole lot of books on memory management, and because I always read everything he gave them to me when he was finished. I learnt a few little tricks from them but for the most part they merely said to do what I already did instinctively anyway. One point has stuck with me since childhood:

Memory is like any other muscle in your body, if you don't regularly exercise it then it will diminish. Use it or lose it.

I never write things down, not even phone numbers, I commit them to memory instead. The same with appointments, I make my brain do the work.
My brain can't do the work anymore. When you get older, exercise cannot always compensate for the rate at which muscle, or short-term memory, is lost. One reason I dropped out of acting. Couldn't store the lines in my head anymore.

New Threads

Top Bottom