• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you cope with loneliness?

Drake Marino

For me, loneliness and social isolation are often major problems in my life. I often find myself going back and forth between having a group of 3-5 close friends and having no one. Last year I was in a good position socially, I had close friends to text and hang out with on the weekend and it was great. This year, now that I've moved on to High School, my social life has faded away. I had a falling out with one of my friends, and the other 4 friends I had went to a different High School than me. Out of the four, I'm only in contact with one of them, and I hardly ever get to see that one friend. Although my social skills have increased significantly, it seems that they still aren't good enough to create a new social circle. I've tried socializing with many new people this year, and all I have are a few acquaintances I may chat with every once in a while in the hallway. This year just hasn't been good. I had a small relationship, then got dumped out of nowhere. I thought I'd made friends with this other guy, then when I tried to text him he never responded. I'm having immense feelings of paranoia right now. I feel like everyone at this school hates me, and no one wants to hang with me for some reason, and I don't know why because I've been friendly all year. As a result of this paranoia, I'm starting to clam up and give up talking to people. I'm just feeling really lost and alone, and I don't know what to do or how to handle these feelings. All the days of roaming around the hallways alone at lunch, all the ignored texts and Facebook messages, and the indifference of my two exes at this school are really getting to me. How would you guys go about assuaging these feelings? What do you do when you're feeling lonely? Usually, what I do, is release my feelings while listening to sad music.

You'll probably find at least one friend eventually. I suggest looking out for people who seem nice and friendly. They seem like the right kind of people for you.

I had been lonely at my sports club for about 3 years. I didn't mind because I like being by myself and I'm used to it but later on this year, I got sick of it. I was a bit upset and felt that no one cared about me or valued me that much, but I still doubted it and knew there were nice people out there. The reason that I didn't have friends from that club was probably because I'm shy and haven't really bothered to approach anyone because of I wouldn't feel that comfortable. I was kind of hoping someone would approach me, but I figure since I barely talked that they wouldn't find me very appealing and they might think that I'd rather be by myself.

In November, I approached some of the people from the club and they were really nice and friendly. I kept talking to them when I saw them and it's been pretty successful. I reckon I could be friends with these people as long as I'm in a class with them.

Good luck making friends.:rolleyes2:

I spend a lot of my free time writing, and nothing really compares to the thrill of being "in the zone," however short-lived it usually is. I can forget the whole world while I'm mapping something out and uncovering the perfect way for a story to unfold.

I've also found that superficial interactions can help. What I want is a circle of close offline friends, but failing that I do enjoy people I see regularly without any real connection if my expectations are managed. We're not close, but it does brighten our day a little to see each other in passing, and that's something.

Heya, Drake. I just wanted to say that I feel your pain. I usually don't get so detailed on this subject since it's pretty touchy for me and I only get deep into it with someone I'm close to, but I feel inclined to help you out. After all, a lot of us deal with loneliness and I'd hate to pass someone up who might benefit from what I may be able to tell them. (Warning: This is pretty lengthy)

Anyways, I've dealt with loneliness for practically my entire life, from childhood to present day. Since I didn't know I had AS throughout my years in school, I just thought I was generally hated by all. Even my family members (more notably my siblings). It was worse around Middle/High School for me, for that's when I became more aware of the fact that I wanted someone close. There were times where I did actually make some friends, but it wasn't long-term after I moved on to high school. I'm also known as a shy and overly-quiet individual...sometimes to the point where people don't even know I'm there...hence sometimes being nicknamed a "Ninja" or more hurtfully, "Serial Killer". Little did people know (and myself in a sense) that I was just terrible with social interactions and I just couldn't work up the nerve to talk to people regularly. Even to this day, I still can't start a conversation worth crap (unless it's involving a topic I can effortlessly spawn out of nowhere). But onto the point, I always used to sit alone or hang by myself.

Since I'm generally a lone wolf, having alone time and hanging with myself isn't a bad thing. If anything, I really enjoy solitude. But then over the years, I realized that while alone felt nice, it really wounded my heart in the process. And if you're like me, sometimes pride gets in the way when you really want to seek help or find someone who genuinely likes or takes interest in you and wants to talk and spend time with you without YOU always wanting to be the person wanting to do things. I don't like to expose my sensitivity to others since I've constantly been surrounded by people who view "feelings" as a weakness. Because of my "feelings", I was targeted for bullying throughout elementary through about half of high school. But once I learned to steel myself, that problem halted Junior and Senior year. But people view me as emotionless or scary because of my facial expressions. Sometimes I could look angry and sometimes dull or bored. And because of the way I present myself, people fear or shy away from me thinking I'll slit their throat or something. This isn't intentional, but I naturally look like this...and no one knows my true feelings, unable to realize that I truly have a deep scar on the heart that may possibly never mend alone.

Over the past year, it became worse than ever...however, a miracle came completely out of nowhere. While some people tend to be defensive about online friendships, it really depends on the person you run into. Anyway, I met this friend on a forum and we started off just only knowing each other. But once we got to talk outside the site, I began to stick very close to her as if she was someone I interacted with in person. She's the nicest person I've ever met, really. Just as I was about to give up hope, a trustworthy person came into my life. At first, I was pretty evasive around her because of developed mistrust towards people in generally. But over time, I found myself opening up the more she made it apparent she valued my friendship. The fact that it took me so long to realize this made me want to punch myself in the gut so bad. She's been way too supportive to me...much more than my own family members have. And while we are apart by distance, the fact that we trust each other stomps on that downside. True friends aren't made based on how close you both are physically, moreso on how close your hearts are. And while translating text into true feelings is quite a challenge, you have that tingly feeling in your heart when you know something's true. The more we became close, the more I began to be attached to another one of her friends as well. I cherish them both dearly. I still do have a close friend locally that I've recently reconnected with, but I can't talk to him on a daily basis. We're still pretty great pals and we sometimes meet to play video games when the opportunity rises. I've got three great and reliable friends, and that's all I need.

You see, people these days generally do not know how to try and understand you more when a friendship is formed, hence not finding the need not to become too attached to you. But when the right person gets a hold of you, they'll know how to treat you and your feelings...and over time (since they're so determined to keep talking with you), you'll know how talk and treat them as well. They'll want to know more about you, want to spend time with you and you'll be able to genuinely feel it.

So my advice to you, Drake, is to NEVER give up! Don't ever stop on finding someone who will love and care for you. There will always be at least one person in the world that will come into your life, whether you find them or they find you. Whether it's in person or online too! Perseverance can push you through this, my friend. I know it really hurts right now and sadly, there is no guarantee you'll find the right person (or people!) immediately...however, if you give up, then you'll end up falling into a bottomless pit of darkness that you can't climb back out. Before you could fall that deep, the hand of your true friend can pull you out. I had to sit in the center of that dark place for so many years...to the point where I graduated from high school almost four years ago and fell even deeper. I find myself being pulled out of that lonely space further day by day with the help of the friends that are currently in my life, trying not to look back until I can finally feel free of loneliness. I believe you can do the same thing. If I could recover from it, anyone can. I'm not saying I'm 100% free of thoughts of loneliness, but because of sticking it through and never giving in, light finally shed. Think of dealing with your pain as an obstacle you're forced to overcome. You've got to keep on pushing through, man. Not only for your sake alone, but for the future you could possibly have with others who will likely come to you sooner or later.

Don't ever give up the battle, man. Push on through and you'll be all right. =)

I have this experience too. Lately, it also seems to have made me less tolerant and more anti social. What gets up my nose really is that I consider myself the sort of friend that is there when the going gets tough. I mean, someone has a problem and I consider it right to do what friends are supposed to do. This is why I love animals because my dog has this same mentality. That is, if I were attacked in the street or something my dog would defend me and so on.
Yet, what I find with 90 per cent of people is they are shallow. Friendship is to them about what they can get out of it. Do they get status by being your friend? Is the friendship a means to give them street cred. Like, I hang out with such and such because he or she is liked by everyone and cool.
Also what I notice is when things get tough and you could use someone to take your side, the so-called friends split. So, call me a cynic but I really don't think I have the patience or the inclination these days to bother with it.
I find it's often easier to make real friends if you travel. In Russia I made good friends a lot more easily than where I live now. Currently I'm chatty and friendly with people I see day to day but don't have any actual friends. I spend most of my time doing research, doing music and with my dog. The music helps a lot as well but publically I'm known as a geek.

For me, loneliness and social isolation are often major problems in my life. I often find myself going back and forth between having a group of 3-5 close friends and having no one. Last year I was in a good position socially, I had close friends to text and hang out with on the weekend and it was great. This year, now that I've moved on to High School, my social life has faded away. I had a falling out with one of my friends, and the other 4 friends I had went to a different High School than me. Out of the four, I'm only in contact with one of them, and I hardly ever get to see that one friend. Although my social skills have increased significantly, it seems that they still aren't good enough to create a new social circle. I've tried socializing with many new people this year, and all I have are a few acquaintances I may chat with every once in a while in the hallway. This year just hasn't been good. I had a small relationship, then got dumped out of nowhere. I thought I'd made friends with this other guy, then when I tried to text him he never responded. I'm having immense feelings of paranoia right now. I feel like everyone at this school hates me, and no one wants to hang with me for some reason, and I don't know why because I've been friendly all year. As a result of this paranoia, I'm starting to clam up and give up talking to people. I'm just feeling really lost and alone, and I don't know what to do or how to handle these feelings. All the days of roaming around the hallways alone at lunch, all the ignored texts and Facebook messages, and the indifference of my two exes at this school are really getting to me. How would you guys go about assuaging these feelings? What do you do when you're feeling lonely? Usually, what I do, is release my feelings while listening to sad music.

Heya, Drake. I just wanted to say that I feel your pain. I usually don't get so detailed on this subject since it's pretty touchy for me and I only get deep into it with someone I'm close to, but I feel inclined to help you out. After all, a lot of us deal with loneliness and I'd hate to pass someone up who might benefit from what I may be able to tell them. (Warning: This is pretty lengthy)

Anyways, I've dealt with loneliness for practically my entire life, from childhood to present day. Since I didn't know I had AS throughout my years in school, I just thought I was generally hated by all. Even my family members (more notably my siblings). It was worse around Middle/High School for me, for that's when I became more aware of the fact that I wanted someone close. There were times where I did actually make some friends, but it wasn't long-term after I moved on to high school. I'm also known as a shy and overly-quiet individual...sometimes to the point where people don't even know I'm there...hence sometimes being nicknamed a "Ninja" or more hurtfully, "Serial Killer". Little did people know (and myself in a sense) that I was just terrible with social interactions and I just couldn't work up the nerve to talk to people regularly. Even to this day, I still can't start a conversation worth crap (unless it's involving a topic I can effortlessly spawn out of nowhere). But onto the point, I always used to sit alone or hang by myself.

Since I'm generally a lone wolf, having alone time and hanging with myself isn't a bad thing. If anything, I really enjoy solitude. But then over the years, I realized that while alone felt nice, it really wounded my heart in the process. And if you're like me, sometimes pride gets in the way when you really want to seek help or find someone who genuinely likes or takes interest in you and wants to talk and spend time with you without YOU always wanting to be the person wanting to do things. I don't like to expose my sensitivity to others since I've constantly been surrounded by people who view "feelings" as a weakness. Because of my "feelings", I was targeted for bullying throughout elementary through about half of high school. But once I learned to steel myself, that problem halted Junior and Senior year. But people view me as emotionless or scary because of my facial expressions. Sometimes I could look angry and sometimes dull or bored. And because of the way I present myself, people fear or shy away from me thinking I'll slit their throat or something. This isn't intentional, but I naturally look like this...and no one knows my true feelings, unable to realize that I truly have a deep scar on the heart that may possibly never mend alone.

Over the past year, it became worse than ever...however, a miracle came completely out of nowhere. While some people tend to be defensive about online friendships, it really depends on the person you run into. Anyway, I met this friend on a forum and we started off just only knowing each other. But once we got to talk outside the site, I began to stick very close to her as if she was someone I interacted with in person. She's the nicest person I've ever met, really. Just as I was about to give up hope, a trustworthy person came into my life. At first, I was pretty evasive around her because of developed mistrust towards people in generally. But over time, I found myself opening up the more she made it apparent she valued my friendship. The fact that it took me so long to realize this made me want to punch myself in the gut so bad. She's been way too supportive to me...much more than my own family members have. And while we are apart by distance, the fact that we trust each other stomps on that downside. True friends aren't made based on how close you both are physically, moreso on how close your hearts are. And while translating text into true feelings is quite a challenge, you have that tingly feeling in your heart when you know something's true. The more we became close, the more I began to be attached to another one of her friends as well. I cherish them both dearly. I still do have a close friend locally that I've recently reconnected with, but I can't talk to him on a daily basis. We're still pretty great pals and we sometimes meet to play video games when the opportunity rises. I've got three great and reliable friends, and that's all I need.

You see, people these days generally do not know how to try and understand you more when a friendship is formed, hence not finding the need not to become too attached to you. But when the right person gets a hold of you, they'll know how to treat you and your feelings...and over time (since they're so determined to keep talking with you), you'll know how talk and treat them as well. They'll want to know more about you, want to spend time with you and you'll be able to genuinely feel it.

So my advice to you, Drake, is to NEVER give up! Don't ever stop on finding someone who will love and care for you. There will always be at least one person in the world that will come into your life, whether you find them or they find you. Whether it's in person or online too! Perseverance can push you through this, my friend. I know it really hurts right now and sadly, there is no guarantee you'll find the right person (or people!) immediately...however, if you give up, then you'll end up falling into a bottomless pit of darkness that you can't climb back out. Before you could fall that deep, the hand of your true friend can pull you out. I had to sit in the center of that dark place for so many years...to the point where I graduated from high school almost four years ago and fell even deeper. I find myself being pulled out of that lonely space further day by day with the help of the friends that are currently in my life, trying not to look back until I can finally feel free of loneliness. I believe you can do the same thing. If I could recover from it, anyone can. I'm not saying I'm 100% free of thoughts of loneliness, but because of sticking it through and never giving in, light finally shed. Think of dealing with your pain as an obstacle you're forced to overcome. You've got to keep on pushing through, man. Not only for your sake alone, but for the future you could possibly have with others who will likely come to you sooner or later.

Don't ever give up the battle, man. Push on through and you'll be all right. =)

Thanks man. Your words have helped me more than those of my friend, my mother, or anyone else. I find it surprising and admire how you can have such a profound relationship with an online friend, I personally could never take such a risk, as you never truly know whether the other person is genuine or is deceiving you.

Hello, brand new member here. I'm much older than you (46), and would like to tell you that the social problems will go away. But for me they have not. My social anxiety did decrease though.

Music helps me, but sad music always hurts me. I always seek intense music that makes me want to dance. This helps.

It used to bother me a lot and when I was younger it drove me to depression. Now that I've gotten older and realize that MY time on this earth is limited, it doesn't bother me anymore. Sure many times I think that it would be nice to spend time with so and so. But then I realize that once again I'd be wasting my time on so and so, and once again skipping out on the things that I really wanted to do. So that's what I've been doing. It's just me and my daughter when she is here and she is my everything and I am hers too. And when she's not, I play music, I go bike riding, camping, exploring places, work on my cars, or just lay around and read or watch oddball TV channels or zone out or ponder things for hours or whatever the heck I feel like doing, or if I change my mind I don't have to worry about reporting to others or screwing up their schedule. I can be as atypical as I want and nobody to tell me otherwise.

I used to have a great circle of friends when I lived in the city (Berlin)... but now... I live in a very rural area (Appalachian Kentucky) where I have no friends at all..... I remain chronically lonely... spending most of my time on forums like this,... skyping with gaming friends... and fighting depression by watching netflix and sleeping.

I am trying desperately to get a service dog to help keep me company.... amongst other things.

Thanks man. Your words have helped me more than those of my friend, my mother, or anyone else. I find it surprising and admire how you can have such a profound relationship with an online friend, I personally could never take such a risk, as you never truly know whether the other person is genuine or is deceiving you.

Actually, your typical average self serving human being is the same whether in person or online, they all pretend to be other than they are, honesty and being genuine and true to yourself an those around you, is the atypical and abnormal. 35 years of observation and research on my part, my theory only proves more true as time passes.

I like being alone. I never feel the need to seek out friendship. What does loneliness feel like?

I used to have a great circle of friends when I lived in the city (Berlin)... but now... I live in a very rural area (Appalachian Kentucky) where I have no friends at all..... I remain chronically lonely... spending most of my time on forums like this,... skyping with gaming friends... and fighting depression by watching netflix and sleeping.

I am trying desperately to get a service dog to help keep me company.... amongst other things.
I can sympathize with that, living in a rural area can be pretty tough. It's really hard to find even basic social contact at times, much less being able to find people to make friends with. As to coping with loneliness, I usually read, watch movies, day dream, clean the house, go for a walk, play video games, or if it gets really bad, I'll drive to town and go to a store, just to be around other people for a while. Luckily for me, I'm usually fairly happy being alone.

I feel ya. My lot in life has felt like that of an tree, I stand still and everybody passes me by, and at best they might stop to chill for a minute before they inevitably move on. I used a multitude of things to patch my loneliness. I draw, I wrote stories, I had many animal friends, and I chatted with random people online. I've had two or three groups of friends that lasted anywhere from a few months or few years, but I'm pretty much on my own again just me and the family.

I like being alone. I never feel the need to seek out friendship. What does loneliness feel like?

I feel lonely very rarely, I usually enjoy or am indifferent to being alone. To me it just feels like something is missing, almost like being hungry or thirsty except it is my emotions that are hungry. It's very weird if you don't feel it very often. In a similar vein, I also rarely miss specific people.

I feel always lonely not even my parents help out with that and I don't have friends just acquitances so... I feel really screwed sometimes.

New Threads

Top Bottom