• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do you comfort yourself?

... Rub my pants alot with my thumb.

I thought I was the only person who did that. I do that too and it does help though I can become obsessive about it. Sometimes I rub too hard into the seem on the side and it hurts but if I am really panicked it is all I can do.

• I record messages for myself on my phone and I listen to them later on. I give myself advices that I might forget in this or that situation, but that I might actually need in order to help me complete the puzzle. I've got a message to help me take a decision and analyze a situation. Adapting to unexpected circumstances. Remember to do whatever works FOR ME (not what others say SHOULD be working for me). I've got a message about boundaries. Trust. Frustations. Expectations. Disorientation and being lost. And so on. I've got messages for many types of life struggles I feel disorientated in. When I'm inspired I record a message for later. They help me to remember how to deal with things when I feel disorientated and almost blind. I've got a message that's important when I need to comfort myself : it says to actually listen and take care, not be as violent, abusive and condemning as others have treated me. I tend to believe that in order to comfort myself, I need to listen first, not make it wrong.
  • I'm not asking advices from friends and getting most likely answers that aren't really helpful because many people don't share the issues I'm talking about. They also have their own lives to deal with, they're not supposed to deal with mine. People aren't that reliable either, I prefer to avoid to count on them now. If they're here I'm okay, if they aren't I'm okay too.
  • I also hug myself and balance my body back and forth sometimes. It's calming.
  • Music and singing can be useful too.
  • Watching videos on youtube with creative and passionate people talking about their passion
  • Watching a documentary about animals, animals are really calming.
  • Taking showers. I don't know why I do that, but hot showers comfort me A LOT.
  • Old familiar objects that follow me since childhood. Anything a bit childish comforts me, the lion king is great to feel better too.
  • I don't do that enough, but creating a nice environment (a nice cosy room) is calming. I don't always notice it when I'm fine, but I'm sensitive to those things, and they can make a difference if I have a bad day - or many bad ones.
  • Putting a light that's not as bright as the normal one, especially if it's in the evening
  • Cycling or going for a walk and "change air"
  • Facebook memes and people making jokes
  • I used to smoke and I want to put it here, but to say the truth smoking never helped. I stopped last year.
  • I often want to take a beer, but I rarely let myself do so because I know that it's really working to calm down. It works way too well. I don't want it to work because I don't want to deal with the possible addiction and make my life more difficult. I'm extremely cautious with alcohol.

Think about my gaslightimg ex and abusive marriage and my equally horrible divorce- which l had so many horrible things happen to me, l now feel like the last survivor on some cable channel. I also remind myself, l found my voice, l stand up for myself. And finally l tackled and succeeded at a career that l am too old for and l pulled it off. This gave me a lot of confidence in myself. And finally social distancing had given me a much needed break. In the new place l live in, there are many birds, lizards and even parrots live here. There are some very nice people who live here also. Seeing what l survived helps me believe in myself and comforts me. I also am realising l could go down on a burning boat sinking to the bottom of the ocean with giant ex-husband sharks circling for the final kill and you would find me on land waving a thumbs up and laughing.

Last edited:
Think about my gaslightimg ex and abusive marriage and my equally horrible divorce- which l had so many horrible things happen to me, l now feel like the last survivor on some cable channel. I also remind myself, l found my voice, l stand up for myself. And finally l tackled and succeeded at a career that l am too old for and l pulled it off. This gave me a lot of confidence in myself. And finally social distancing had given me a much needed break. In the new place l live in, there are many birds, lizards and even parrots live here. There are some very nice people who live here also. Seeing what l survived helps me believe in myself and comforts me. I also am realising l could go down on a burning boat sinking to the bottom of the ocean with giant ex-husband sharks circling for the final kill and you would find me on land waving a thumbs up and laughing.

I agree, social distancing is really nice.
I'm sorry for your abusive marriage. I try to think about the people who abused me as the worst relationships I ever had, yet they were also the best teachers. Without them, I'd still be at the level I was. Now I know I can protect myself better than I used to, it's a comforting thought.

In worst cases, lorazepam and telling my mum what is going on.
Although these instances are rare these days. I have a weighted blanket. And i also have my 2 teddies, Peanut and Walnut. I think as a child, they were thought of to protect me but nowadays i just like the texture of them. I know of how some sensory things can help people with asd so maybe that's what my bears do for me. :)
I think also chamomile tea works.
I managed to come out of the woods from battle with anxiety and depression and have strategies to set me for life.
I think my main source of discomfort these days is acid reflux...but ever since i reduced how often i eat triggering (to the stomach) foods like chocolate and fizzy drink/fruit juice and set times throughout the day to eat...it's gone down...but i still have to take an antacid every now and then throughout a week.

For many years I used my hobbies as an outlet for helping me cope with my trauma but also as a way to cope with my anxiety and negative emotions.

My special interests which include drawing, reading fantasy and comic books have really helped me through some dark times.

I also try to be less critical of myself since I have also been my own worst critic and need to be kinder to myself.

I will also rock back and forth though I try not to do that too often. I am still learning about ways to deal with things and it will more likely be a lifelong process but I do contribute my passions and special interests in keeping me sane over the years.

If I'm mentally feeling bad, I have to think about it until I come up with a resolution, which I always eventually do. Because if I just try to ignore it my mood for the whole day will be solidified.
I think there are many things I got comfort out of- that are now overused. I go to my favorite music and subconsciously think, oh boy here we go again.

Things that still work are... Feeling like I've exercised enough, feeling like I did what I was supposed to do.... shower.... Tea has been nice, got into "authentic" "high quality" tea, it's quite an experience. I could go on and on about it but there's a tea to suit every mood. I obtained one with high gaba content that possibly helps people on the spectrum. It does sedate the nervous system, but for me my anxiety travels to my chest to create a cool new freaky panic experience ;) oh well I still drink it, helps increase human growth hormone which helps my exercises. Other than that I think I've desperately overused many regular options of comfort but at least I've got something right now!

Another thing that keeps me comfortable is keeping strange people away from me. My social circle needs to be extremely small like minus 5 people. Lol

Another thing that keeps me comfortable is keeping strange people away from me. My social circle needs to be extremely small like minus 5 people. Lol

At first by “strange” I thought you meant eccentric or odd. Ha! I was like dude, you’re on the wrong forum.

I agree with you. Too much novelty is draining, especially when it comes to people in your life. Good one.

To cope with the daily grind I chew gum. Lots of gum. I go through maybe 1-2 packets of 14 pieces a day.

My wife says if there’s one thing she could change about me it would be chewing gum. Haha... not gonna happen!

I also tend the drink sometimes. Just to ease the edge a little bit, to numb myself, to shut down the thought. I don't do this often. There is alcoholism in my family and I know I could easily get into it, my mental blockade stops me. In my worst time I would drink until I passed out but it made me feel even worse, as pathetic as it gets, as well as realise how similar I was becoming to some people... And I stopped. I never wanted it, I hated them more than myself at the time, so I despised the thought of being like them.

Instead, at the most basic I focus on the present. Never look forward, not into the next hour, not into the next day. I survive minute by minute until it become easier to breathe.

I used to hide under my desk often when I was a child. I still do it sometime, although I'm tall so it's rarely comfortable. Hiding under covers or make a fort helps as well. It feels safer when you can touch walls around with your shoulders and the only way in is before your eyes, blocked.

But what helps me the most is meditation and journaling. Sometimes poetry or drawing. Sometimes pacing around the room for hours at a time. Or rocking.

The most important thing is to keep your hands busy in some way, so that they aren't tempted to hurt you or to grab a glass, or a snack, or to break something.

Just keep breathing. Sometimes it's the only thing you can do.

New Threads

Top Bottom