• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How do I make friendships?

Maybe it is time to start a 12-step group for recovering 'phone addicts. Such groups often have practice social events.

How about volunteering? I made some friends by volunteering, built up good relationships, I see them weekly, we have a laugh and all good fun! Plus you give back as well to the community

I’m not completely comfortable giving my location away online, especially since I am a minor. Is there a reason why you’re asking?
I understand why you would hesitate on this, especially as a minor.
Sometimes, some people who are familiar with certain areas might be able to tell your resources nearby that are appropriate. That is why someone would ask for a location.

In the same token, whether a minor or adult, but especially as a minor, you should start off only giving generally where you are. Obviously, no exact addresses except for the address of a public place like a mall, library, community center, those kind of things. Always good to meet in a public place.

If you ever feel there might be an appropriate time to share more personal information with someone, that is when you've known them in-person for awhile. Especially since you're a minor, a good rule of thumb is to eventually introduce a potential friend to a parent/guardian and if they are a minor, request the same. Then base it on context.

If you are an adult, we generally go by context only. We ask to get parents involved only if we have to live with them, but if living independently, then you should probably judge yourself based on context.

Personally, I feel people who've had experiences with High Fucntioning Autism (NT like) would be favorable for friendships - yet, people who've had too much experience with the Autism Spectrum might actually prove unfavorable.

New Threads

Top Bottom