• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How can I stop coming across as creepy?

Yeah, tbh the reason why I asked is because I was on a YouTube live session and asked the Youtubers what city they lived in. They said “we’re not telling you , that is a creepy question”, and started laughing about it, making a whole scene. People started saying “stalker alert” and trying to verbally attack me. It felt awful/mortifying to be bitched about live on Youtube, so I left immediately. I didn’t think it was an inappropriate question at all, I wouldn’t have asked if I did, obviously.

In any case I thought they were a little rude given the context behind their channel.

I think people who put themselves in the public sphere shouldn’t be defensive and critical over personal questions, they should expect personal questions!

This is disappointing because I actually liked these Youtubers and watched their videos everyday.
That seems rude of them to react that way; they could have just said they weren't comfortable sharing that information.

A lot of people at my college ask me what neighborhood I live in just out of curiosity, though I know that many people would be uncomfortable being asked that depending on the situation. Also, I've had people get annoyed at me when I asked, "Where are you from?" since they thought I was asking about their ethnicity, when to me it seemed obvious that I meant where is home to them when they're not at school. I think it's just a complicated topic that everyone reacts differently to.

As for apologizing, often if people are uncomfortable they would prefer to let it go, as talking about it continues the discomfort. If you're really concerned that someone misunderstood you, then you can try to explain, but I wouldn't suggest apologizing just for being awkward.

That seems rude of them to react that way; they could have just said they weren't comfortable sharing that information.

A lot of people at my college ask me what neighborhood I live in just out of curiosity, though I know that many people would be uncomfortable being asked that depending on the situation. Also, I've had people get annoyed at me when I asked, "Where are you from?" since they thought I was asking about their ethnicity, when to me it seemed obvious that I meant where is home to them when they're not at school. I think it's just a complicated topic that everyone reacts differently to.

As for apologizing, often if people are uncomfortable they would prefer to let it go, as talking about it continues the discomfort. If you're really concerned that someone misunderstood you, then you can try to explain, but I wouldn't suggest apologizing just for being awkward.

Thanks. Yeah, it was one of my favourite YouTube channels. I was annoyed at their reaction, given that it caters to Autistic people. I didn’t expect such a defensive response, as a people we are inquisitive so I expected them to be used to this? I sort of thought that questions like the one I had asked where par for the course. I mean it’s YouTube, you’re choosing to publish your life, not me.

I realise that the way I posed the question was rude, I would normally say “where are you from?”, but it was typed out before I could stop it.

I thought about apologising and decided not to in the end as I thought their reaction was over the top and so I didn’t think my apology would be received well. I don’t think I did anything massively wrong in any such instance.

New Threads

Top Bottom