• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How can I gain control of my facial expressions?

Do you have this problem?

• Yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No

• Sometimes

• Total voters

superboyian

Former Co-Owner
V.I.P Member
Right, I'm going to watch a movie and before you know it, I pull a frown without knowing I'm doing it.

The last time I went to the movies and I had a frown on my face and I was also in a good mood, I scared the daylights and I've upset my girlfriend and it hasn't been the 1st time it's happened, it's been many of times.

Now I just want to stop it and I don't know what to do, I'm alright other than that, it is only when I'm concentrating on something or watching a movie I seem to not have the control of my facial expressions, what should I do? Because I don't want to make the same mistake for the next time I decide to go back to the movies.

Does this also happen to members here too?

I dont know what to click, but i been told i can show a happy and sad face but cant show any other emotion.

I can show happy and sad when I feel those emotions but not others. I have been told I have a scared face when I don't feel scared.

She just has to learn how to read your facial expressions, tell her it's your concentration face, that seems like a better solution to me, instead of you faking or supressing your facial expressions. Because that's what I've learned myself, and I'm not really glad I did. I do have quite some control over my facial expressions, I can even do a very convincing fake laugh. Lots of practice in front of a mirror and studying of other people's expressions, I can even do mixed expressions and subtle ones.
But it's just fake, dishonest. And when people find out you do it, they'll trust you less. And find it even harder to read you, which can be rather disconcerting for them. And when you supress them, which is the easiest method, you'll also become harder to read and people will sense coldness from you, which makes you also less approachable.

My problem mostly with learning is that I've grown accostumed to doing it, it goes almost automatically. And it's a habit really hard to kick, so don't even think about starting it. Just stay yourself.

Sometimes I frown when I'm happy or v/v. Sometimes people say "what's the matter with you! why can't you smile!", usually my parents, when I'm feeling absolutely fine, maybe even happier than usual. If I say "it's my natural expression", they explode and say "well, change it then!". They think I'm actually feeling sulky alongside the expression when I'm not.Usually I have one set expression, I don't change it much. When I'm listening to someone I'm told I look blank?
But I do get what you say about suddenly smiling etc without realising. If I'm reading a book and it's a happy scene, I will find myself beaming. During a sad bit, my face will get what it's like when I'm not happy. Etc etc. I didn't realise this was an AS trait, or even something that other people did, are you sure that's an AS thing?

New Threads

Top Bottom