• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How Calligraphy can improve your drawing and painting skills.

Ken S.

Dog Cookie King
V.I.P Member
If you look at a set of proper calligraphy pens like a set of specialized paint brushes it make the connection easy. It also calls for precise strokes for a variety of fonts. An art form that computerization has all but destroyed except to those who are enthusiasts. While I gave it up I still appreciate the lessons something so simplistic taught me. If anyone has similar experiences please post them.

While I gave it up I still appreciate the lessons something so simplistic taught me. If anyone has similar experiences please post them.

Actually did a calligraphy course, I loved it. It's was taught as part of a course related to fonts. I have the nibs and holders and pens and I love the clear perfect lines and curves that they make, I still use them in art with watercolour and paint and ink.

Also use radiograph pens, which were used in drafting which I also liked alot. Very much like an automatic ink line. It's as close to a perfect line as possible.

They also trained us to use these and I still use them:

images

They hold a larger amount of ink, the more you close the two pieces together and they also make various thicknesses of solid ink line.

Have really liked calligraphy most of my life. The preciseness of it, the beauty of it. My father was taught as a child by my grandfather to write formal script in copperplate. As an adult he usually printed, because his handwriting was so elaborate and took so much time.
I still have letters he wrote to me in copperplate that look similar to this:

Confucius+Quote+250906-4.JPG

Last edited:
Also use radiograph pens, which were used in drafting which I also liked alot. Very much like an automatic ink line. It's as close to a perfect line as possible.
I have a complete drafting set but never thought to use them for anything but drafting. Thanks for the information.

I have a complete drafting set but never thought to use them for anything but drafting. Thanks for the information.

Also loved drafting. Only did it at school, but, it was so precise. We used to do blueprints, and run down to the blueprint shop near the school to have them printed out for local businesses.

Check the radiograph pens though, if they are not used for awhile the ink clogs them up. You can use ethyl alcohol to clear them usually.

Last edited:
I was a cabinet builder for many years. Had to take blueprints and make correct the architects design and present shop drawings back to them for approval.

Had to take blueprints and make correct the architects design and present shop drawings back to them for approval.

I'm not quite sure what it is that I liked so much about drafting and calligraphy. Maybe it was the idea that everything that you did could be measured, everything was known, all you needed were a few rulers some pens, pencils and ink. Something that perfect has to be respected.

Last edited:
I specialized in radius work and know the algebra for segments of circles by memory. Rise squared plus half the base squared divided by rise times 2. Also drafting makes it easier to understand vanishing point drawing.

Last edited:
One of my favourite clients was a small tool making company. I did all the drawings for his company catalogue. He would give me the tools and I would measure everything with a caliper and draft all of them precisely to scale. Then shrink them down to a smaller size to fit the twenty page catalogue. One of the best contract jobs I ever had. There was no arguing about colour or page layout, it was either right or not. Correct dimensions don't lie.

@Mia Thank you for the conversation. I wish more people joined but it has been enlightening and enjoyable.

I liked it too Ken, and I too learned some things. Guess that there are not so many people interested in some of the older art forms, like calligraphy. Wish I could do it a bit more, but with the arthritis in my hands it's much more difficult to use a nib and holder in such a precise way. It requires a lot of control of the hands and fingers.

That is why I am venturing back to a childhood hobby, rock tumbling but am also going to do some cutting and cabbing.

That is why I am venturing back to a childhood hobby, rock tumbling but am also going to do some cutting and cabbing.

What's cutting and cabbing? I noticed that my husband's grandfather had a really large collection of polished and unpolished stones, that he collected when he was a railroad engineer and travelled all over canada.

Cutting stones into roughly 5/16 inch slabs with a water cooled diamond blade saw. Cabbing is making the slabs into different shapes by cutting off the excess rock then use water cooled diamond grinding/polishing bits to finish shaping them for jewelry without using a tumbler. Here is an example.
shattuckitebluecabochon-2.jpg

I have ordered everything I need except the things I will need from the hardware store once I figure my work area layout. First shipment due tomorrow. :)

So something like these stones were initially cabbed to make these cabochons?

upload_2020-5-30_16-30-41.jpeg

Yes. If you look in my Geology folder I have a couple of photos of raw Ethiopian fire opal similar in quality as the one bottom third from left that I will shape into something like that. After I practice on chert/flints that I get for free all over the property which are close in hardness as most other quartzites are.

Last edited:
I'm going to be doing a door to door leaflet for my art in the coming months. I asked my mum to draw "Art by Ed Foulds" in her writing as she has a nice calligraphy style.

Calligraphy.JPG

But then I wondered, shouldn't I be doing my own? I'm not too sure. Either way it got my creative juices flowing. I haven't done graff in over 10 years, but this feels like a solid start.

107835000_326234325205329_7465765707257769122_n.jpg

I'm going to continue working at it until I'm happy with the font and then get it ready for the printers.

Ed

New Threads

Top Bottom