• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hotel recommendation - San Fran

Duncan74

I've a business trip to SF (and LA/Huntington) in a couple of weeks. Due to flight schedules I'm arriving in SF on Saturday lunch so get the weekend to explore SF (never been before). Has anyone recommendations for hotels or even the area that as a city visitor would be ideal.

Somewhere that I can head out for a run (not sure, but if there is a run path by the bay then somewhere not too far from that), somewhere with some cafes / restaurants to grab some food (I hate eating in hotel restaurants on my own, so soul-less.

Thanks in advance.

(P.S. LA accommodation sorted)

The nice thing about Hotel Union Square is that you are right near everything, shops, cable car lines, shopping, restaurants.

It might pay to get some local up to date info about recent storms and storm damage. News reports I've been reading say they've been hit pretty hard.

Find the Powell Street cable cars and go north up Powell Street until you're almost on the water. From there you can go right towards Pier 39 (lots of interesting retail shops). Keep going right eastward towards Pier 31 and you might be able to take a tour of Alcatraz. Conversely if you go left and westward along the water you'll find endless tourist attractions and restaurants all the way to Ghirardelli Square. Keeping moving westward along Marina Blvd. and you can see places like the Marina District and the Palace of Fine Arts- not too far from the Presidio and Golden Gate Bridge. But whew....that's a lot of walking.

Last edited:
When I was visiting my wife in Singapore (she was working there for 5 months) I was walking 15 miles + a day, and that was with an ankle I'd torn the ligaments in the week before (operation 6 months later). So I'm used to walking loads as a tourist, and same with my running, I run up to 50 miles a week, up to 20 miles a time, a bit less at the moment due to recovering from injury. So I'm happy to 'wander' ;-)

Just never been or looked at SF and this has come at short notice, so really appreciating the tips from locals/people that have been there.

Union square is liking like a great place to base myself.

At Union Square, you can hop a cable car to pier 39, a fun place to walk around, but you have to walk a couple of blocks. Just ask where to catch a cable car back to Union Square. Chinatown is NW of Union Square and has excellent restaurants which might be walkable. Market Street is south of Union Square has good and bad parts, so just be alert in that area.

Thanks all. Had a great few days even if weather wasn't great.

Hired a bike and headed over golden gate and up Hawk Hill Saturday and the Chinese Lunar parade last night. Nice run this morning around from the ferry terminal up past fisherman's Wharf and back. Then SFMOMA for some culture this afternoon.

Attachments

• 20230204_091838.jpg
    20230204_091838.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 27
At Union Square, you can hop a cable car to pier 39, a fun place to walk around, but you have to walk a couple of blocks. Just ask where to catch a cable car back to Union Square. Chinatown is NW of Union Square and has excellent restaurants which might be walkable. Market Street is south of Union Square has good and bad parts, so just be alert in that area.
Yeah, some interesting parts of OFarrell too!

I ended up running to 39. Didn't ride the cable car, but think I can live with missing that.

If you are a local then I'd really recommend doing 'the visitors' on 6th floor of MOMA. I'm not normally a fan of video installations. But this was like a live gig, combined with a really intimate view of friendship.

New Threads

Top Bottom