• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Home made junk food

So much more civilized.
It is if you see how it works, wait staff that are paid tips are supposed to drop that money in the staff tips jar, to be shared by all staff at the end of the year. If they instead put that money in their pocket then they are in effect stealing from the other staff.

If they instead put that money in their pocket then they are in effect stealing from the other staff.
I started out as a chef and it was a real bugger that part of the tip the servers got was based on the quality of the food, but they kept the tips and the cooks got jack squat for our efforts. Of course we were paid as badly as the serving staff. I miss being a chef, but I don't miss the poor pay and even poorer working conditions.

We don't tip in Australia and we actively discourage tourists from doing so. We don't want to create a situation here like there is in the US, where wait staff are taxed as if they earned 15% more than their declared income because it is expected that they'll get that much in tips. Regardless of wether or not they received such tips.

Some establishments will have a tips jar next to the cash register and if you really feel the need you can put tips in there, that will pay the drinks tab at their end of year Christmas party, but any wait staff that accept a cash tip personally will get sacked if they're found out.

It's much of the same here, tipping is a very American thing. I can't remember giving a tip here, because people get salaries for their work. It probably happens somewhere, but it's not common.

That's a panini maker. I don't have one because I have too many cooking appliances and vessels that I can easily duplicate with existing stuff I own. Kitchen space is precious! Want a panini? Just heat up a cast iron skillet and put a smaller cast iron skillet on top of your sandwich to press it down. Flip the sandwich over and do the same thing on the other side. I have a cast iron grill skillet with raised ridges that makes the grill marks if that is what I want.

I used to make breakfast sandwiches for my kids. I scrambled the eggs in a big skillet, so the eggs spread out in a thin layer and were flat, then I cut the eggs with a knife in whatever shape I needed - squares for sandwich bread or circles for bagels or English muffins. I used bacon for the square bread and Canadian bacon for the round breads.

My current favorite homemade junk food is nachos, made with corn tortilla chips topped with black beans, cheese, salsa, pico de gallo, cilantro and lots of jalapeno slices, served with Mexican crema or sour cream. Yum!

That's a panini maker. I don't have one because I have too many cooking appliances and vessels that I can easily duplicate with existing stuff I own. Kitchen space is precious! Want a panini? Just heat up a cast iron skillet and put a smaller cast iron skillet on top of your sandwich to press it down. Flip the sandwich over and do the same thing on the other side. I have a cast iron grill skillet with raised ridges that makes the grill marks if that is what I want.

I used to make breakfast sandwiches for my kids. I scrambled the eggs in a big skillet, so the eggs spread out in a thin layer and were flat, then I cut the eggs with a knife in whatever shape I needed - squares for sandwich bread or circles for bagels or English muffins. I used bacon for the square bread and Canadian bacon for the round breads.

My current favorite homemade junk food is nachos, made with corn tortilla chips topped with black beans, cheese, salsa, pico de gallo, cilantro and lots of jalapeno slices, served with Mexican crema or sour cream. Yum!
I misspelled panini. Oops.
I love crunchy food. So l just find healthy versions of crunch and creamy food.

@velociraptor

I always thought it was Brian Johnson from Ac/Dc

View attachment 95499
I saw him once, or at least I'm pretty sure it was him. It was over 20 years ago in our hometown of Newcastle. I hopped off a bus with my guitar on my back and almost walked into him and my guitar kinda swung round into his path. He nodded and smiled and basically said hello "Al Reet?".

I couldn't for the life of me remember where I knew him from. So I got into this stopping and looking back at him as he walked off. He waved a few times. In the end I concluded he was probably someone who had been to one of my gigs or something. I felt pretty bad that I couldn't remember who he was. Though this wasn't entirely unusual when I was in a band, random people would say hello.

It wasn't until I got about 100 yards up the road that I clicked!

I guess he probably saw my guitar and the way I dressed and thought I would be likely to like AC/DC. Which was true but I wasn't a huge fan I guess. So he looked familiar but I didn't instantly recognise him.

So that's my run in with either Brian Johnson or some dude that looked very like him lol!

I also once made potatoes (fries) with cheese and gravy. Pontine ? (You get in Canada). It was okay…really weird with cheese And gravy. I can do one, not both.=D

Apparently MSG or Monosodium Glutamate, can really enhance the taste of "junk food". It has been previously attacked by some rather racist doctors in the past.

It's quite an interesting subject, the whole scaremongering began when an alleged doctor wrote a letter that was published in a science journal. It was simply that, a letter, but because it was published in a science journal some people have cited it as somehow being the product of scientific research. It has also been speculated that it may have been done as a joke. But anyway, that's where the myth began.

I'm sure in large quantities, it won't be good for you but apparently you only need a tiny amount to get that authentic "junk food" taste! So it may be worth trying and could perhaps even make healthy food gain that "junk food X factor"! :)

The first time l tried poutine was a couple years back. It was gravy over fries with a sunny-side fried egg gracing the top in which l broke the yoke and everything melted together. Just delish on a snowy day. It's fast food with an interesting slant. Now in Florida, l have seen fries with cheese curds with gravy that l haven't been tempted to try because l didn't grow up with cheese curds. The other stand in is tater tots with gravy sold as fast food.

It was quite common to get sunny-side fried egg in Hawaii on ramen, etc.

The first time l tried poutine was a couple years back. It was gravy over fries with a sunny-side fried egg gracing the top in which l broke the yoke and everything melted together.
It used to be a common counter meal in pubs here many years ago - egg and chips. You get 3 fried eggs with runny yolks and a serve of chips and you'd dip the chips in the egg.

Apparently MSG or Monosodium Glutamate, can really enhance the taste of "junk food". It has been previously attacked by some rather racist doctors in the past.
Turkish friends of mine ran roast chicken shops, they used to save all the stock out of the bottoms of the rotisseries and use it to make their own gravy. And they used to put MSG in the gravy. It was only a tiny amount, two teaspoons in a 30 litre pot of gravy base, that then got further diluted as the base got mixed with cornflour and water to make the gravy that was served to people.

I asked old Sulley what it does and he told me to wet the end of my finger, stick it in the MSG and then lick my finger. It was completely tasteless but I started salivating severely, I put my mouth under the tap and washed my mouth out. The Sully told me that's what it does, in tiny amounts it has a psychological effect - the food is mouth watering.

It used to be a common counter meal in pubs here many years ago - egg and chips. You get 3 fried eggs with runny yolks and a serve of chips and you'd dip the chips in the egg.

Turkish friends of mine ran roast chicken shops, they used to save all the stock out of the bottoms of the rotisseries and use it to make their own gravy. And they used to put MSG in the gravy. It was only a tiny amount, two teaspoons in a 30 litre pot of gravy base, that then got further diluted as the base got mixed with cornflour and water to make the gravy that was served to people.

I asked old Sulley what it does and he told me to wet the end of my finger, stick it in the MSG and then lick my finger. It was completely tasteless but I started salivating severely, I put my mouth under the tap and washed my mouth out. The Sully told me that's what it does, in tiny amounts it has a psychological effect - the food is mouth watering.
That's very interesting. So it's less that it "enhances" the flavour and more that it triggers a physiological process that we associate with good tasting food. Sort of a sensory version of circular reasoning! :)

So here's the thing... Junk food has gotten so expensive that it costs over $40 CDN for my wife and I to grab burgers, fries, and shakes. For that same $$$ I can have this:

320646291_867060061207592_1008406670073591327_n.jpg

Actually, this costs me less than eating out (I have a sous vide). We only eat out now when traveling.

F8310D48-B7E4-4560-A8A1-2CC696FEA7D6.jpeg

here’s my contribution. No, I will not recreate this in real life as I’m already fat and slightly overweight + I don’t need to eat junk food all day

New Threads

Top Bottom