• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Home made junk food

Outdated

I'm from the other end of the spectrum.
V.I.P Member
Since living in a city again I've become addicted to junk food. I crave the next hit of burger/fried/crumbed food.

This can get expensive so I've been playing around with different things I can cook at home that give me the same hit. Here's one of them, the Schnitzel Sandwich. Real easy to do in the flat sandwich toaster. Use the supermarket brand schnitzels because they're uniform in shape and flatness. I also buy Short Cut bacon rashers, much more practical for everyday use.

Cook the schnitzel in the sandwich toaster, about 4 minutes, then lift it out and do the bacon, only takes 1 minute, then assemble your sandwich with cheese and whatever else you want and toast the whole sandwich for a couple of minutes. Quick and easy and soothes the fast food cravings.

Schnitzel Sandwich 01.JPG

Schnitzel Sandwich 02.JPG

The keys to making homemade food taste like takeout are: lots of salt (regular or seasoning salts) and fake cheese (processed cheese product like Velveeta or those individually wrapped slices). Very slightly burning things also adds to the restaurant experience.

I've deduced these key things as mimicking the 'experience' because my wife is addicted to takeout. Making this stuff at home keeps the cost down and allows me to sneak in healthy stuff without her noticing.

And it is takeout, not takeaway. Fight me! LOLOLz.

That looks so good.

I try to avoid junk food most of the time especially since it messes with my digestive issues and makes me gain weight. But my favorite junk food is probably Hot Fries. I'm crazy for spicy foods.
They only cost $1.25 lol

images

In America, we call them panni makers, you put your sandwich in and toast until super crunchy. Usually has ridges and they get really hot, and they adjust to any thickness in sandwiches.

That looks so good.

I try to avoid junk food most of the time especially since it messes with my digestive issues and makes me gain weight. But my favorite junk food is probably Hot Fries. I'm crazy for spicy foods.
They only cost $1.25 lol
Andy Capps ! Those are the best

That looks so good.

They only cost $1.25 lol

images
Ooo my favorite too :)

Since living in a city again I've become addicted to junk food. I crave the next hit of burger/fried/crumbed food.

This can get expensive so I've been playing around with different things I can cook at home that give me the same hit. Here's one of them, the Schnitzel Sandwich. Real easy to do in the flat sandwich toaster. Use the supermarket brand schnitzels because they're uniform in shape and flatness. I also buy Short Cut bacon rashers, much more practical for everyday use.

Cook the schnitzel in the sandwich toaster, about 4 minutes, then lift it out and do the bacon, only takes 1 minute, then assemble your sandwich with cheese and whatever else you want and toast the whole sandwich for a couple of minutes. Quick and easy and soothes the fast food cravings.

View attachment 95478

View attachment 95479

I love this post, thank you so much for talking about this. Making things the way you want them, just for you and not people who would make fun, is a very good thing. When I have told normal people what I like to eat they always make fun of me and I do not understand why. It hurts a lot. I stopped telling them.
For a while I was eating a lot of oatmeal everyday and I realized that I could add almost anything to it, savory or sweet. I added some canned salmon and other things to one dish and I liked it very much.

I also realized that I could put strawberry yoghurt over pasta noodles. It has no bad taste to it because the pasta does not have a strong taste and I get the gooey foods all together. I would add some walnuts to it too.

I like that you are making what you want. It looks very good to me and I think it must smell very good in your kitchen.

Homemade tortillas grilled with cheese for quesadillas. Although my tortillas are more like sopes because I don't care if they are not thin line tortillas

My favorite stuff triggers my digestive issues, but every once in a while...

The best one I've come up with is gluten-free bread toasted on the stove with loads of butter, a few eggs hard-fried together (to form a flat patty of sorts), some mayo and some sharp cheddar cheese. Everything is assembled as a massive sandwich (or 2, depending on how many eggs you use).

This isn't very 'junkish' for some but this is about as far as I can go into that territory. I have to eat really bland most of the time. I also just realized how hungry I am, so thanks!

Another cool one is homemade potato chips, simply diced up and smothered in olive oil and salt

The best one I've come up with is gluten-free bread toasted on the stove with loads of butter, a few eggs hard-fried together (to form a flat patty of sorts), some mayo and some sharp cheddar cheese. Everything is assembled as a massive sandwich (or 2, depending on how many eggs you use).
You just reminded me of another favourite meal I haven't had in a long time, omelette sandwiches. I'm about to make a tool that greatly helps with this - a square egg ring.

You need a Nescafe 500 gram coffee tin, they are made of stainless steel although very thin. Use scissors to cut a half inch wide strip out of the tin and press it in to a square shape, it's almost exactly the right size for your omelette to fit perfectly on a sandwich. As soon as my coffee tin is empty I'll make a couple and post a picture.

1320262.jpg

In America, we call them panni makers, you put your sandwich in and toast until super crunchy. Usually has ridges and they get really hot, and they adjust to any thickness in sandwiches.
I use it for cooking all sorts of things, and having no ridges makes it a lot easier to keep clean. It does a perfect porterhouse steak, searing both sides at the same time. It's good for any meat that is flat, I also use it for chicken nuggets and for frozen battered fish fillets.

It's a lot cheaper and easier to use than a fry pan, it does a much better job, and it's easier and quicker to clean when you've finished with it.

That looks so good.

They only cost $1.25 lol

images
We don't have those here. What we do have is Nobby's Nuts. Back in the 70s the advert used to read:

Nibble Nobby's Nuts, before Nobby nibbles yours.

Nobbys-Nuts.jpg

These days Nobby has hot nuts:

Nobbys_Nuts_Sweet_Chilli_Flavour_40g_5.jpg

I just realized that your bottle of tomato sauce is what we call ketchup here.
Here, tomato sauce is what you put on pizza or spaghetti. You probably wouldn't want to put ketchup on spaghetti lol

The Nobby's Nuts thing is hilarious.
I guess this pistachio advertisement is our equivalent:

uy0j49pf9rl31.jpg

Dining out has gotten soooooo expensive and now I have to tip double? Even McDonald's wants tips now. NOPE.

I much prefer to cook at home. I make copycat recipes if there's something I'm craving from a chain.

I just realized that your bottle of tomato sauce is what we call ketchup here.
We get Ketchup here now too, the old fashioned tomato sauce has a lot less sugar in it. It tastes more savoury, by comparison ketchup tastes like jam. I quite often make my own tomato sauce, I add garlic and herbs and a few different peppers.

Dining out has gotten soooooo expensive and now I have to tip double? Even McDonald's wants tips now. NOPE.
We don't tip in Australia and we actively discourage tourists from doing so. We don't want to create a situation here like there is in the US, where wait staff are taxed as if they earned 15% more than their declared income because it is expected that they'll get that much in tips. Regardless of wether or not they received such tips.

Some establishments will have a tips jar next to the cash register and if you really feel the need you can put tips in there, that will pay the drinks tab at their end of year Christmas party, but any wait staff that accept a cash tip personally will get sacked if they're found out.

New Threads

Top Bottom