• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Higher empathy for animals?

Am I the only one?

I almost feel uncomfortable admitting it haha. I DO have empathy and care a lot for humans too, especially innocent ones like children. My empathy for animals though can be nearly unbearable. I would be lying if I tried to say that my empathy for animals is much, much stronger. I can logically understand why it should be higher for humans but it just isn't. Part of this could be desensitization? Although I've seen and known a lot of terrible things happening to animals and can barely handle it. I can see on a TV show a human being suffering and it's awful (although if it was a REAL human and not just fiction it would bother me A LOT more) but I can't even see fake depictions of animals hurt or sad. I struggled watching Temple Grandin's movie and watching the cows be stressed out. I definitely have a lot of empathy for humans too but my empathy for animals is a lot stronger and more intense. I have no idea why. It's always been this way. I've loved animals since I can even remember and grew up with animals around my whole life.

Can anyone else relate?
I am so glad I can truly relate to your empathy for animals, I too feel exactly the same way, I do have empathy for humans albeit solely for the ones who are vulnerable, the voiceless ie: children, elderly and disabled apart from that I feel people are able to make their own choices and act upon their in... thank you for caring for those who cannot speak. My respect. X

I think my empathy for animals and (small) humans is equal. Compared to most other people around me that means I have a lot more empathy for animals (well aside from a few vegan FB groups I'm a member of ^_^). For some reason people around me can't seem to read animal's expressions, yet they do fine with human's?! So yeah, if they look miserable I feel bad for them, ESPECIALLY if (when) it's our fault.

Am I the only one?

I almost feel uncomfortable admitting it haha. I DO have empathy and care a lot for humans too, especially innocent ones like children. My empathy for animals though can be nearly unbearable. I would be lying if I tried to say that my empathy for animals is much, much stronger. I can logically understand why it should be higher for humans but it just isn't. Part of this could be desensitization? Although I've seen and known a lot of terrible things happening to animals and can barely handle it. I can see on a TV show a human being suffering and it's awful (although if it was a REAL human and not just fiction it would bother me A LOT more) but I can't even see fake depictions of animals hurt or sad. I struggled watching Temple Grandin's movie and watching the cows be stressed out. I definitely have a lot of empathy for humans too but my empathy for animals is a lot stronger and more intense. I have no idea why. It's always been this way. I've loved animals since I can even remember and grew up with animals around my whole life.

Can anyone else relate?
I would never hear someone stay "what are you doing to that innocent human?" The aninal attacking a baby will look at you like "What is that? AAH! It only has two legs! What did it say? Whoa! It's freaking out! We better go before it kills us! It's bigger than us!" Humans are not innocent to me. Humans, unlike animals, are capable of evil and can do wrong while KNOWING it's wrong. Animals just don't have that human concept, so they're innocent. They only kill and do what humans see as wrong as a part of their survival. People make excuses that some animals kill for fun or play with their prey, BUT they don't know of it as wrong like people do! Animals are like, "This is fun! Who knew you could play with food?" Humans are like "You're traumatizing him! You're tormenting that poor other animal! That's wrong!" Animals are like "..." What? Why? Cause they don't understand what "wrong" is except in their own culture! For a wolf, disobeying the alpha is seen as "wrong", but killing another animal for food or fun isn't. Some animals eat their own mother or siblings for survival, but they don't have any ethical concerns in the same way as a human does. While animals DO have ethics connected to their survival and social groups, it's NOT towards the same thing humans use ethics in! A dog might think you peeing in the toilet (their drinking bowl) is wrong or a cat will think you throwing away "perfectly good food" (a dead mouse they caught for you to eat cause they think you can't hunt for yourself) is wrong. Like I said, animals have the concept of right and wrong, BUT it's not the same. It's not the human concept; it's animal concept of right and wrong. Next time you are an animal killing something, try to think more like the animal, and stop thinking like a human.

I actually tried not to cry when I saw animal aid on YT saving an abused donkey. The donkey looked so sad before they rescued him, and that wound! YIKES!

I was just praying the other day that God would help me to have more empathy for people than animals or the planet.

It's an aspie thing, and I hate it. People are worth more.

okay, so here's an aspie who doesn't particularly like animals, and especially doesn't like anthropomorphism - when people talk about being "mummies" or "daddies" to their pets, when they assume their animals have human emotions and outlooks: I just don't get it at all. Doesn't mean I think being cruel to them is right - I don't - but I'd never put them before my own species. It makes me fizz when I see someone begging in the street with a dog in their lap - fizz because I think there's something far wrong with our society that they should find themselves begging, fizz because they're still taking on management of a creature when they're destitute themselves, and most of all fizz because when the dog's there, people are more likely to stop... to cuddle the dog or give money because there's a dog needing to be fed too... (and okay, I know some vulnerable folk will have the dog as protection)
oddly enough, animals seem to like me okay, cats in particular...

It makes me fizz when I see someone begging in the street with a dog in their lap - fizz because I think there's something far wrong with our society that they should find themselves begging, fizz because they're still taking on management of a creature when they're destitute themselves

I see this so often. Not necessarily the street beggars, but just in general. It seems like most of the time, people who can barely afford to support themselves or their family have a houseful of animals they are supporting. As long as it's not my house I don't have a problem with it, I just I don't understand why. But it was even parodied on "Christmas Vacation".

okay, so here's an aspie who doesn't particularly like animals, and especially doesn't like anthropomorphism - when people talk about being "mummies" or "daddies" to their pets, when they assume their animals have human emotions and outlooks: I just don't get it at all. Doesn't mean I think being cruel to them is right - I don't - but I'd never put them before my own species. It makes me fizz when I see someone begging in the street with a dog in their lap - fizz because I think there's something far wrong with our society that they should find themselves begging, fizz because they're still taking on management of a creature when they're destitute themselves, and most of all fizz because when the dog's there, people are more likely to stop... to cuddle the dog or give money because there's a dog needing to be fed too... (and okay, I know some vulnerable folk will have the dog as protection)
oddly enough, animals seem to like me okay, cats in particular...
As I've already stated in this thread, I do have a higher empathy for animals and still work in animal rescue organizations. Both domestic and wildlife. I do have two dogs who I love to bits, but I also treat them like dogs not humans and hate to see people who do ruin them by treating them like they are. And as much as I hate to see animals not looked after properly because of either ignorance or poverty, I do understand why a homeless person would want a pet. Often the homeless have no one who loves them or who they love either, so the love for and of another being is almost critical to their survival. In fact for many lonely and isolated people, that love is the only thing standing between them and suicide. It may seem selfish or irresponsible to some, but I think it's important to see the bigger picture.

Am I the only one?

I almost feel uncomfortable admitting it haha. I DO have empathy and care a lot for humans too, especially innocent ones like children. My empathy for animals though can be nearly unbearable. I would be full of **** if I tried to say that my empathy for animals is much, much stronger. I can logically understand why it should be higher for humans but it just isn't. Part of this could be desensitization? Although I've seen and known a lot of terrible things happening to animals and can barely handle it. I can see on a TV show a human being suffering and it's awful (although if it was a REAL human and not just fiction it would bother me A LOT more) but I can't even see fake depictions of animals hurt or sad. I struggled watching Temple Grandin's movie and watching the cows be stressed out. I definitely have a lot of empathy for humans too but my empathy for animals is a lot stronger and more intense. I have no idea why. It's always been this way. I've loved animals since I can even remember and grew up with animals around my whole life.

Can anyone else relate?
I am so happy I found this forum, especially on this topic, 'A higher empathy for animals' I am self-diagnosed Aspergers. I need to state I do have a higher empathy for all those who have no voice, be it the elderly, children, disabled and animals. If grieves my soul, no end, day in and day out, .but I do fight hard every day for animal rights on SM . I find it so frustrating, so difficult that most people do not care as much as I do. I realise this is an old post Hazel, but have only just joined and seen your amazing post. You are a very special lady, with the very biggest and purest of hearts and yes I most certainly do relate. Animals are innocent, voiceless sentient beings, they are persecuted to the extreme via humans. It wrecks my heart and wreaks havoc on my soul to see such injustice. I adore and love all animals they truly could teach humans so much. Hugs to you dear lady. X

I wrote something to put here and then changed my mind.
So here is a shorter version.
I empathize with animals and other critters automatically, cannot disconnect from it. My husband occasionally helps because points out that I need to let something go that really is none of my business. Like for example a dog tied outside a store on a cold day. I don't have to go find the owner and tell them how to take care of their animal. It feels like I have to but I can control it most of the time.

yeah. Stuff like that.

Attachments

• 0c3367127ee4c27c217de6203f8526f7.jpg
    0c3367127ee4c27c217de6203f8526f7.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 0
Never be afraid to do what is right and just. .. I would no doubt make a fool of myself , but in the end it is the animal's life that matters. X

I wrote something to put here and then changed my mind.
So here is a shorter version.
I empathize with animals and other critters automatically, cannot disconnect from it. My husband occasionally helps because points out that I need to let something go that really is none of my business. Like for example a dog tied outside a store on a cold day. I don't have to go find the owner and tell them how to take care of their animal. It feels like I have to but I can control it most of the time.

yeah. Stuff like that.

I struggle with this, too. I used to have a disabled neighbor and she had a cat. One day I noticed that the collar on the cat was too tight. I started bugging her about it and she insisted that it wasn't too tight and then I demonstrated that you have to be able to slip your fingers comfortably between the collar and the cat's neck. She got upset with me, alas.
I sure would have cut the collar, or maybe more tactfully purchased a new one and presented as a gift to the owner. Kudos to you for caring so much x

This really feels like autistics have come from some planet or dimension where animals are the priority, the highest value. We come to planet Earth where there are different priorities and we are baffled and appalled to find how low-ranking animals are here, whereas to many autistics they are divine beings who deserve the highest respect. Why should you have to control your impulse to be compassionate towards an animal and, with any luck, teach a human how to treat the animal properly? Because tragically NT values take precedence on this planet and we are treated as nut-cases if our values differ.
100% agree!!

I feel the same about people vs animals. I can't stand to watch animals get hurt on television either, even though I know it isn't real. I once had to go in the bedroom and cry after watching a scene in a television show about a horse being killed. Although people were being killed in the program as well, the animal being harmed scenes really got to me. I've been this way all my life, too.
I've also felt this way about children in films. Which is funny because I love mine but I'm not exactly kid-crazy, especially as mine have grown. But I think it's that inbuilt compassion we feel about those (animals, children) who perhaps can't manage themselves in this world that we humans have built and imposed on earth.

Not my comment but a comment I read online:

"Animals never let you down, even when people let them down. You know, when I see those pictures of the refugees covered in blood and dying, I really couldn't care less, sometimes it even cheers me up.... but when it comes to animals, I feel a really strong bond with them and don't understand how anyone could mistreat them. Nice story. Glad he got a good send off."

Source: Newquay man takes dog Walnut on final walk and is joined by hundreds | Daily Mail Online
Wow, harsh. I definitely feel a strong affinity to animals but I'm not immune to human suffering either.

Ohhh… This is a major sore spot in my life and the source of a profound PTSD.

My answer is a big YES, I have empathy for ALL animals.

The story of the segment of my life that produced my empathy and PTSD is probably too long for here, but I guess I can mention what I learned. But I must say that my experience taught me something that is very unpopular to the general human population, so please understand that I am simply stating what is in my mind and soul, not something I mean to preach to anyone.

So, what I learned is that the distinction between human and animal is a false comparison. Humans are also animals. Humans are simply a member of the animal kingdom along with all the others. I believe that humans are above other animals only in the mind of humans. I learned that the human species suffers deeply from a profound case of narcissism and speciesism.

The average human believes that other animals are like biological robots, running on a set pre-programmed instinct. My experience has taught me that is not so. Yes, they have instincts, but so do humans. I learned that other species also have empathy, emotion, anger, happy, cares, wishes, compassion, etc., etc., etc. However, most humans observe other animals in brief snapshot views and never see their mentality and even if they did, the narcissism and speciesism filters the perception.

Humans believe that technology equals intelligence and that intelligence is defined by what humans do. Humans judge the intelligence of other animals by how closely their actions are to human actions.

My lifelong profession is electronics design engineering, thus deeply emerged (obsessed) in electronics technology. Throughout my life, however, I have come to realize that technology is not a measure of intelligence. I do not believe the technology that I design makes me more valid or intelligent than any of my friends who happen to be members of another species - nor even other humans who happens to not be in a technology profession. Intelligence is a very broad subject. Example; an animal that possesses an intelligence that is not perceivable to humans will not be considered intelligent. And, that goes both ways.

I've always had more empathy for "nature" in general since I was very small. When I was a 4 or 5, I used to make friends with trees. I would visit and talk to them everyday. I would also walk around my driveway in the rain to save drowning worms from puddles.

I also had a lot of empathy for less fortunate humans. I wanted to feed homeless people and would donate allowance money occasionally to the Red Cross.

However, when it came to connecting to people around me I was clueless.

This really feels like autistics have come from some planet or dimension where animals are the priority, the highest value. We come to planet Earth where there are different priorities and we are baffled and appalled to find how low-ranking animals are here, whereas to many autistics they are divine beings who deserve the highest respect. Why should you have to control your impulse to be compassionate towards an animal and, with any luck, teach a human how to treat the animal properly? Because tragically NT values take precedence on this planet and we are treated as nut-cases if our values differ.
'Baffled and appalled' are the perfect words to describe how I feel when I think about the zillion types of atrocities that animals are forced to experience. Blows my mind, breaks my heart and crushes my soul that they suffer like they do. I can't understand why people don't care. You're right, Baffled and Appalled!

Am I the only one?

I almost feel uncomfortable admitting it haha. I DO have empathy and care a lot for humans too, especially innocent ones like children. My empathy for animals though can be nearly unbearable. I would be full of **** if I tried to say that my empathy for animals is much, much stronger. I can logically understand why it should be higher for humans but it just isn't. Part of this could be desensitization? Although I've seen and known a lot of terrible things happening to animals and can barely handle it. I can see on a TV show a human being suffering and it's awful (although if it was a REAL human and not just fiction it would bother me A LOT more) but I can't even see fake depictions of animals hurt or sad. I struggled watching Temple Grandin's movie and watching the cows be stressed out. I definitely have a lot of empathy for humans too but my empathy for animals is a lot stronger and more intense. I have no idea why. It's always been this way. I've loved animals since I can even remember and grew up with animals around my whole life.

Can anyone else relate?

No, Hazel87, you are definitely not the only one! What you describe is an understatement of how I feel. In fact, I suffer from an extreme PTSD dating back to early childhood. I suppose probably around five to eight years old.

My family lived in the country surrounded by farms. I made friends with all the animals, both domestic and wild. I spent most of my free time out in the back fields with the animals. Still some of my best memories.

Then I discovered and witnessed what happens to “livestock”. Profound overwhelming horror! These were my friends! They were my best friends!

If you get a chance, watch the movie, “Welcome to Marwen”. It’s not about animal cruelty; it is about PTSD and its depiction is the closest to my PTSD that I have seen. The court room scene is quite powerful in revealing Mark Hogancamp's PTSD.

I learned that the profession of a cowboy is all about livestock. As a result, hearing any sort of country music makes me bolt – like Mark Hogancamp. It takes me days to recover. Seeing anything on TV depicting animal cruelty never goes away. I can’t seem to ever forget it. I have nightmares about it for - I guess forever. I have even been known to physically attack someone who was singing country music.

I don’t know if this is due to me being an Aspie, but the PTSD is greater than what I have witnessed in anyone else.

As far as having greater empathy for animals or humans; I don’t think there is a difference. I think humans are animals in a mix of all the other animals on this planet. We are all different. I don’t think humans are smarter because we have technology. All types of animals do something unique to them. Technology is just something humans do, but I don’t think that makes humans smarter. In fact, I see humans do some spectacularly stupid things. Just for one, I don’t think a smart animal would work hard at destroying the environment it lives in – or at least recognize it is doing it. I witness squirrels gather seeds and plant new trees maintaining their environment. Humans are famous for cutting them down.

Sorry, I’ll stop here, I could go on forever…

New Threads

Top Bottom