• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

High pain tolerance

Once gained a nasty gash to the leg and quickly bled out. The pain should have been unbearable, but I couldn't even tell how bad the wound was until the doctor stitched it.

No, the stitches didn't hurt me at all.

I've been thinking about this topic recently and it dawned on me, what if it isn't a high tolerance to pain but we just manage pain differently.

When I was a child I fractured my wrist in two places. It hurt when it happened, like a sharp pain but I thought it was only sprained as it wasn't mangled. It hurt when I let my hand hang so to compensate I put my hand in my pocket to relieve the weight on my wrist.

Almost two weeks later my mother was walking me to school and I was dawdling across a road and my mother grabbed me by the hand and pulled me across the road. She seen that it had caused me discomfort and took me to hospital after school.

We waited 5 hours in the first waiting room to see a doctor who ran a few dexterity tests, getting me to open and close my hand and move my fingers. She said that my hand wasn't broken and that I may have a slight sprain. My parents talked her into allowing me to get my wrist x-rayed for their peace of mind which she accepted. I went to the x-ray waiting room where we waited for 2 hours, I got my x-ray done and we went to another waiting room to await the results. Then we got called in first to be then told that I had two greenstick fractures above the wrist and was very apologetic.

I didn't really show pain other than when it happened or got moved suddenly, I just got on with it.

I tend to come across as a happy person even in some of the worst situations, so when it comes to me saying that I'm in hurting or need help, people don't take me seriously.

i have a tremendously high pain threshold,but when i do feel pain i dont naturally show emotions that would tell people im in pain,nor communicate it.
but i have such severe nerve damage to my spine and have had trigeminal neuralgia since 19 that i live in very severe pain every day.
now mental pain,theres a thing thats hard to cope with.

i have a tremendously high pain threshold,but when i do feel pain i dont naturally show emotions that would tell people im in pain,nor communicate it.
but i have such severe nerve damage to my spine and have had trigeminal neuralgia since 19 that i live in very severe pain every day.
now mental pain,theres a thing thats hard to cope with.

I agree. I have seriously hurt myself working and playing in the past, but continued going back to the same thing because it just did not hurt that much. However mental pain is very hard for me to deal with. Particularly losing someone close to me. That is the hardest pain to endure.

I have read that aspies can have either a very high pain threshold or a very low one. I tend to have a high pain threshold. I had this as a child, and I still have it today. I'm a cyclist, and a fellow cyclist once asked me if I ever felt any pain. This pain tolerance generally works, once when I was brought to the trauma center after being hit by a car while cycling, these apparently inept idiots refused to even do a physical examination -- this despite multiple abrasions and contusions. Apparently no one takes us seriously about being in pain if we don't gripe and complain loudly.

People are surprised when I tell them a burn or cut I have doesn't hurt. One time I sprained my ankle and continued walking on it and didn't go to the hospital until it was swollen the size of a grape fruit. When I was prescribed narcotics for the sprain, I didn't use them for pain and used them to improve my mood instead.

New Threads

Top Bottom