• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

High IQ

Does anyone else find that people are confused by their high IQ?
I think people look at me and my life circumstances and think that I'm a bit slow when actually my IQ scores around 130 on a bad day (139 is my best score, not a genius but not bad either).
So I get treated like an idiot by bosses, professionals etc when in fact I'm way ahead of them. It drives me mad.

As others have posted, there are many types of intelligence. The other point, is that a cumulative IQ score of 130, for example, may mean an IQ of 110 in one area, 150 in another area, 100 in yet another, and so on. My IQs were all over the place,...I too, ended up at 130 cumulative, but was at 110 for verbal skills,...average. My pattern recognition skills were well into that 100th percentile category,...150+.

I too, run across your situation, all too frequently. For example, I can interpret mechanical ventilator waveform graphics almost instantaneously and with a high degree of detail. Now, trying to concisely and accurately discuss these findings, and my concerns, with a physician is quite difficult for me. I've literally been able to recognize conditions in a patient within a few seconds that took a team of well-trained, well-meaning physicians over 6 months to confirm,...no exaggeration,...much to my frustration,...much to the parents frustration,...and much to the patient's detriment. It was like I was speaking an alien language to these people. Darn near quit my job because of it.

I am quite frustrated with my inability to articulate in words, what is very obvious to me, but others do not see.

The books that [ghost?]wrote may have been the outlet that the article was searching for.

Saying that his parents were being pushy was a bit unfair. Some people can absorb information faster than they can acquire it. It is comparable to the metabolism of a hummingbird or a shrew.

I hope this post wasn't inaccurate. It would be good to find info on t William James Sidis that we know is all true, I'm not saying the info I found isn't, I just don't know

Pretty sure your bosses will change their behavior when they see you making more money for their company. Or fair and square outperforming other employees. Just curious, do they ever take ideas which were presented by you before but "forgotten" and presented as somebody else?

I'm pretty sure my high IQ (if my mother remembered correctly, somewhere in the 150s. I thought I remembered 130s. That was in 3rd grade, and the exact number really doesn't matter now.) is the reason why I don't have an autism diagnosis (this was back in the 90s when a high IQ disqualified you from an autism diagnosis. Plus, I'm female.)

I was failing most classes and had what were probably considered pretty serious behavioral issues (I kept disappearing from class, etc.) so I was pulled out of class and evaluated. I was declared "gifted" and put in special classes. I did better academically after that, but it didn't do anything at all to help my social difficulties.

I really wish I had my records from back then. I bet they're illuminating.

Pretty sure your bosses will change their behavior when they see you making more money for their company.
More often, they are worried about us gunning for their job, even though I had zero interest in being in management (with its requisite people skills :eek:).

New Threads

Top Bottom