• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

High Functioning Autism Versus Aspergers?

Speaking as someone else with an HFA diagnosis, I can safely say you're far from "defective". Matter of fact, your situation reminds me a LOT of my own - the whole "not sure if this or that or blah blah blah" ordeal...no, really. Been there, done that! I've had many of the same doubts myself as to whether or not I'd amount to much of anything (despite apparently having good intelligence and verbal skills myself), and with my fluctuating, almost totally nonexistent self-esteem I could definitely beat myself up all day just thinking about it.

My advice? Stop overthinking it and focus on you first, NOT on others and certainly not on a bunch of already vague and ill-defined terms. True, there are a handful of us folks who experienced minor problems with development, and at some point we were viewed as "broken", "defective", "retarded", etc., but as time passed we overcame those obstacles, pushed forward and very likely achieved greatness as you put it, proving damn near everyone wrong in the process. You heard of Temple Grandin or Donna Williams yet? Don't give up or feel as if you're (insert something negative here) just because of a stupid label or a misinformed opinion - you're not a clinical description, you're a human being just as worthy and entitled as the rest of them.

Actually I think it was a great thread you started. Great advice from the folks above. I would add, don't get too caught up comparing yourself to others. I guarantee you there are some great things about you and you can discover what you are good at. You may fail at some things but don't give up. It took me 45 years to finally become content with who I am. You probably have a high IQ and are very intelligent. I always thought I was dumb because I sucked in school. Turns out I am up there with Einstein as I like to joke with my wife. I just don't learn the way schools teach.

Don't give up and spend your life down on yourself. Keep searching for the skills and qualities you do have that can make the world a better place. And most of all, don't compare yourself to others. Be you!
Same for me Jimbo ,I always did poor on schoolwork I was not very organized and I couldn't take notes no audio memory or multitasking to speak of. :(
On the other hand all the strait A students were totally shocked when I blew them all out of the placement tests on science...I was number 1 without even trying.

Tomis Eddison was thrown out of school as a retard....there is hardly a product today that we use that doesn't have some connection to his inventions somehow.

I am more a classic auti and I easily blew the doors off of CERN with a pencil and a piece of paper.
Just keep looking for your hidden talents....there are endless combinations of savants and gifts not all are easily seen. Even just being a warm and kind to others can be a great gift....we had a sweet lady like that out here she was a ray of sunshine to everyone we all miss her....she is gone to the arms of God now.

Best wishes to you in life Maelstrom:fourleaf::rabbitface: Carnelian

Ahhh, Carnelian. I ask myself the same things. After forty something years trying to push my square peg into a round hole, it has been a shock to finally fit a square hole. Society tells us that round holes are the norm, are desired, are the apex to aspire to. Heck, we even shape our kids to fit a round hole!

As others have pointed out, bad luck! It makes sense to embrace who we are, where we are at AND be ok with it. It is a huge thing to do, but necessary.

You have not caused me offense, by the way. :)

And you do have something to contribute. We all do. It may not be a marketable skill that society deems fitting to its narrow repertoire, but then half the world feels useless and undervalued on any given day - the role of mothering.

You may even find a niche you had never before considered.

New Threads

Top Bottom