• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi ...

kris

I started a thread earlier this week and think I'll stick around awhile... so Hi!

I'm 32, self diagnosed starting about 6 months ago. Still trying to decide if I'm going to pursue official diagnosis. I took every online test I could find for asperger's (some of them more than once!) and none of them were even borderline aspie...all well into aspie range. I'm not sure an official diagnosis would be worth the cost at this point.

It's been an interesting experience to say the least.. so many things make so much more sense now. But at the same time, I had no idea how much I really do miss. That test with the eyes made me want to scream, and I did way way worse than had I just been guessing.. I had no idea I can't read facial expressions.

At least it makes sense now why I don't really have friends and don't get invited anywhere.. why it's so hard to start a relationship and why people end conversations with me so very abruptly. I've really been trying to make an effort to be better in public situations...although, I don't think I've noticed much improvement in making friendships yet.

Anyways, I live in SoCal (any other local aspies here??)... I used to be an engineer but recently quit my job and now I sew for an etsy shop and have been for the past year.. it's been a truly amazing year, and I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life. I have a big wrinkly mastiff that keeps the depression pretty well managed, and I'm running again. And no more coworker/boss/job stress! Now, if I could just learn to drive :/

Cheers!

Welcome to AC, Kris. Yeah....being without a driver's license in L.A. could be problematic. :eek:

Welcome to AC, Kris. Yeah....being without a driver's license in L.A. could be problematic. :eek:
Haha... thank you! And it's not that bad.. you get really good at public transit. Also, uber is wonderful. Plus, I don't stray too far from downtown.

Haha... thank you! And it's not that bad.. you get really good at public transit. Also, uber is wonderful. Plus, I don't stray too far from downtown.

They're (taxi lobby) giving Uber a pretty bad time here...they don't even want them to get their foot in the door. Public transit here (NNV) is so-so...but then I used to commute on BART when I lived in the Bay Area. Loved it. Couldn't imagine driving in San Francisco even on a weekend!

Welcome aboard! Always happy to see a new member. I am self diagnosed then got an official diagnosis in Wooldnand Hills.
I live in Ventura county, pretty close.
I too, have always struggled with friendships and people.

They're (taxi lobby) giving Uber a pretty bad time here...they don't even want them to get their foot in the door. Public transit here (NNV) is so-so...but then I used to commute on BART when I lived in the Bay Area. Loved it. Couldn't imagine driving in San Francisco even on a weekend!
I've heard of some bad uber experiences here, but I've never had a problem.. I take public transit first if I can, but if it gets late at night I'll call uber. I get in the back, give them the address and then play on my phone so I don't have to talk to the driver and haven't ever had a problem. I can see why the taxi lobby wouldn't want them around, though.. they're faster and cheaper!

Welcome aboard! Always happy to see a new member. I am self diagnosed then got an official diagnosis in Wooldnand Hills.
I live in Ventura county, pretty close.
I too, have always struggled with friendships and people.
Very nice to meet you.. I love your etsy shop! I want to get back into painting again but well.. no motivation. Engineering school sort of sucked all the art out of me and it's been hard to get back into the groove of being creative.

Officially welcoming you :)

I'm glad you've found this site to be helpful so far. I've just posted a few suggestions below, which I hope you find useful (should you yet to have discovered these).

Resources section:
Autism & Asperger's Resources | AspiesCentral.com

I like to recommend this book to our female members, as it explains some key traits of AS for females: Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

These websites are good too:

Day 62: Females with Asperger’s Syndrome (Non-Official) Checklist | Everyday Asperger's

Aspienwomen: Adult Women with Asperger Syndrome. Moving towards a female profile of Asperger Syndrome | Tania Marshall

Hi, Kris. Another self-diagnosed, self-employed Californian Aspie here. :) I'm up in the central San Joaquin Valley though. Glad you've decided to stick around. This is really a great place to learn more about AS and make friends.

Officially welcoming you :)

I'm glad you've found this site to be helpful so far. I've just posted a few suggestions below, which I hope you find useful (should you yet to have discovered these).

Resources section:
Autism & Asperger's Resources | AspiesCentral.com

I like to recommend this book to our female members, as it explains some key traits of AS for females: Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

These websites are good too:

Day 62: Females with Asperger’s Syndrome (Non-Official) Checklist | Everyday Asperger's

Aspienwomen: Adult Women with Asperger Syndrome. Moving towards a female profile of Asperger Syndrome | Tania Marshall
Thank you so much! That resource section has been really interesting to browse. I've read the aspergirls book and really looking forward to aspienwomen being published. One of the biggest surprises for me was how much aspergirls can mimic other girls (and yet *still* not get it right).. I never realized NT girls didn't do that. I even joined speech and drama teams in high school to practice. I'm not sure why it never occurred to me that studying other girls that intently might not be "normal".. I definitely still do it now, though to a lesser extent as I'm not so concerned about trying to fit in anymore as I get older.

Hi, Kris. Another self-diagnosed, self-employed Californian Aspie here. :) I'm up in the central San Joaquin Valley though. Glad you've decided to stick around. This is really a great place to learn more about AS and make friends.
So very nice to meet you! I've read to much about employment being hard for asperger's, but I really think when we're doing what we're supposed to be doing that it comes quite naturally. I really never saw myself as an entrepreneur, but self employment has been incredibly rewarding. Anxiety and depression are at an all-time low, but social pressure has gotten much harder now that I don't really have an excuse to be in public or follow office rules... when I was in engineering, working with other engineers wasn't that bad.. but now that I'm in "fashion", I've sort of been hit with more social awkwardness than I've ever imagined. Welcome to the real world, I guess!

Welcome, welcome, welcome! It is fantastic to have you here. I have met many kind people here; hopefully you will, too. :)

By the way, what is Kris short for, if you do not mind me asking? My nickname is Kris as well, but spelled as Crys, which is short for Crystal.

Welcome, welcome, welcome! It is fantastic to have you here. I have met many kind people here; hopefully you will, too. :)

By the way, what is Kris short for, if you do not mind me asking? My nickname is Kris as well, but spelled as Crys, which is short for Crystal.
Thank you! I hope so, too.. .I'm already starting to recognize a few friendly "faces" :)

It's short for Kristina.. I'm not sure why I used my name as my profile name but it is what it is now.. couldn't think of anything else haha.

New Threads

Top Bottom