• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi...

Dinotector

I'm 17 and have wondered for a while whether I have Asperger's Syndrome or not. Any time I try to bring it up to my parents they kind of shut down and don't listen. I have also had teachers tell me that I am too smart to be on the spectrum no matter what any of the other signs that I show. I'm pretty sure one can not be too smart to be on the spectrum though. I have loved dinosaurs since I was little and still carry dinosaur toys around with me, and they are all I can seem to talk about sometimes which is rather bothersome to some people... I love art too. Drawing, painting, pastels, and really any media other than something such as Photoshop. At the moment I am self-diagnosed and a couple of my friends say that they could see it being the case, but the adults around me are the ones who will not listen.

Hello, Dino!

Based on your parents' reaction, it sounds like you'll have to investigate the issue on your own. Hopefully the forum will be useful to you. But I can tell you that your teachers are misinformed. People on the autism spectrum can range in function from being completely nonverbal and dependent on others for care (this must be the kind of autism your teachers are thinking of, though they're also wrongly assuming that severe autism comes without intelligence) to being essentially completely functional in society. Some folks with autism may even have a genius-level intellect.

The biggest thing about autism that most people don't yet understand is that there really is no "mold." One person with autism can be completely different from another.

Anyway, best wishes, and welcome! :)

Hello :)
I had tried to explain that to them, but the counselor said that since I am able to force myself to have conversations with people when necessary, that I shouldn't even worry about it. I feel that she thinks there is a mold because she had a relative who could not talk, but then she got upset when I said that has nothing to do with his level of intelligence. I think more than anything I would rather be able to get an official diagnosis because it would allow me to help others understand why I act the way I do and why I don't prefer to talk and such.

And yes, I read something the other day that says, "If you've met one person with autism, then you've met ONE person with autism."

Thank you Sander!
I had taken the test that you have the information for down at the bottom and...my results were much different being: Aspie score: 180 and Neurotypical score: 37

Hey, I have the same problem. I am very gifted intellectually and some research shows that Aspies with high intellect often adapt somewhat differently to the NT world. Google "gifted Aspergers" and find articles about it. In fact some of what I experience is opposite to the official symptom list for Aspergers. It's strange, cool and hopefully helpful.

That is completely normal, I've got a light form of Aspergers, that's why my NT score is higher and my AS score lower

Welcome to the forums Dinotector! :)

When I was trying to get diagnosed, or when I had similar things to talk about, my parents would also shut down; so its not an uncommon issue I don't think. I do hope however, that your parents eventually do try to listen to you. Dinosaurs and art are both really awesome obsessions, brings me back to reading Calvin and Hobbes lol. (I was a really big fan of the comic)

There are some really cool books and resources here that might help you: Resources | AspiesCentral.com

Judging from your results for that Aspie test, I would say that its fairly likely that you are on the Autism Spectrum. Though, its always better to get a psychiatrists input onto the diagnosis - if you do go down this path, try to find one that specializes with people on the Autism Spectrum.

I hope you enjoy it here.

I
That is completely normal, I've got a light form of Aspergers, that's why my NT score is higher and my AS score lower
I am hoping that since I will be away for the summer that maybe I the teachers I will be around may notice something and suggest it to my parents that I be tested, but I'm not really sure.

When I was trying to get diagnosed, or when I had similar things to talk about, my parents would also shut down; so its not an uncommon issue I don't think. I do hope however, that your parents eventually do try to listen to you. Dinosaurs and art are both really awesome obsessions, brings me back to reading Calvin and Hobbes lol. (I was a really big fan of the comic)

Judging from your results for that Aspie test, I would say that its fairly likely that you are on the Autism Spectrum. Though, its always better to get a psychiatrists input onto the diagnosis - if you do go down this path, try to find one that specializes with people on the Autism Spectrum.

I think they shut down because they don't want to think about "their child having something wrong with them," but in reality they have dealt with me having being this way since I was little. They just think it is really weird that I never got over dinosaurs and art even though my mom consistently talked against the two and how dinosaurs are for boys and that I have no artistic ability. - I am now in art 4 and started drawing seriously last summer. I haven't ever really read Calvin and Hobbes, but I have always liked the way they are drawn.

I would prefer to get an official diagnosis because to a point I feel it would be helpful in helping others understand me. I also didn't know there were psychiatrists who specialize with people on the Spectrum.

You cannot be too smart to be on the spectrum. Even Albert Einstein is believed to have been on the spectrum! Anyways...

Hello and Welcome!! :)

Salmongirl17,

I didn't think you could be which is why we argued about it. Asperger's has NOTHING to do with IQ, but she has had relatives who are very low functioning and thinks that's how everyone on the spectrum has to be.
And thank you!

Salmongirl17,

I didn't think you could be which is why we argued about it. Asperger's has NOTHING to do with IQ, but she has had relatives who are very low functioning and thinks that's how everyone on the spectrum has to be.
And thank you!

While I am, by no means trying to be challenging at all, it does seem however that there is a significant correlation between the 'suppposed' iq and Aspergers. According to the sources I've read while investigating my condition, we generally have "average, or above iq" (this is obviously not for every case I imagine). Anyways, just thought I might note that observation I made.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how accurate or valid this correlation between Aspergers and IQ score is.

While I am, by no means trying to be challenging at all, it does seem however that there is a significant correlation between the 'suppposed' iq and Aspergers. According to the sources I've read while investigating my condition, we generally have "average, or above iq" (this is obviously not for every case I imagine). Anyways, just thought I might note that observation I made.

Disclaimer: I have no idea how accurate or valid this is.
That's true. It's often the case that people with Asperger's have average IQs, or above, but what I meant is that the condition is not based off of your IQ. - This still would have no reason for me to be too smart to be on the spectrum. I just meant that it is not solely based on that, I guess I didn't word that very well. However, I don't find you being difficult, just allowed me to rethink how I stated that.

I

I am hoping that since I will be away for the summer that maybe I the teachers I will be around may notice something and suggest it to my parents that I be tested, but I'm not really sure.
Well if they haven't noticed it until this point, I'd say it's not very likely they will in the summer.

What might help is right now thinking about some things:
-are you sitting next to a classmate?
-Do you have (lots of) friends?
-how do people react to you saying something?
-do you talk every average lesson as much as possible? Or are you very silent?

Just some things that teachers will see, if that is at a normal level, it would be a lot harder to suspect someone because if he talks alot, has friends, people talk normal to him and so on.

Try to think about all your social aspects of your average school day. If you see a relation between them, you try to explain it to your teacher.

Well if they haven't noticed it until this point, I'd say it's not very likely they will in the summer.

What might help is right now thinking about some things:
-are you sitting next to a classmate?
-Do you have (lots of) friends?
-how do people react to you saying something?
-do you talk every average lesson as much as possible? Or are you very silent?

Just some things that teachers will see, if that is at a normal level, it would be a lot harder to suspect someone because if he talks alot, has friends, people talk normal to him and so on.

Try to think about all your social aspects of your average school day. If you see a relation between them, you try to explain it to your teacher.
I usually don't sit next to people unless I have to.
I really only have one friend aside from people I have met online.
I normally get, "You can talk?" and some other stuff.
I don't talk during lessons unless the teacher asks me something and then I freeze up and it takes me a while to answer.

The teachers where I go...just don't pay attention.

I usually don't sit next to people unless I have to.
I really only have one friend aside from people I have met online.
I normally get, "You can talk?" and some other stuff.
I don't talk during lessons unless the teacher asks me something and then I freeze up and it takes me a while to answer.

The teachers where I go...just don't pay attention.

Yes but the behavior you are describing, even if you are paying less attention is getting your attention.

So that would leave me thinking, or they don't care, or they don't want to deal with it.

Welcome, Dinotector!

I like your name and avatar! I understand why you feel you'd like an official diagnosis. For a variety of reasons, getting diagnosed (in my late thirties) brought me some measure of peace with myself.

Best of luck!

Yes but the behavior you are describing, even if you are paying less attention is getting your attention.

So that would leave me thinking, or they don't care, or they don't want to deal with it.
I've been several other places and the teachers have talked to me, but they don't want to say anything to the counselor a because they say it will limit my job opportunities. Here...they just don't want to deal with it I guess.

Welcome, Dinotector!

I like your name and avatar! I understand why you feel you'd like an official diagnosis. For a variety of reasons, getting diagnosed (in my late thirties) brought me some measure of peace with myself.

Best of luck!
Thank you! And...I've felt like this four a few years. I just...don't know how to get my parents to hear/listen to me....

New Threads

Top Bottom