• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hi, I'm new here! (Melissa)

Welcome Melissa!
I had the same feeling when I got my diagnosis. There is just some things that really fits on me.

Welcome Melissa!
I had the same feeling when I got my diagnosis. There is just some things that really fits on me.
It explains so many things. Like I'm not self centered or bad regarding socializing but that I am just wired differently. Such a relief. I can't wait to speak with a professional who is well versed in autism and aspergers! Until then ill just keep researching

It explains so many things. Like I'm not self centered or bad regarding socializing but that I am just wired differently. Such a relief. I can't wait to speak with a professional who is well versed in autism and aspergers! Until then ill just keep researching
I hate to talk about myself! Is that an Aspie trait? I heard rumors of the opposite? but it involved Autism instead of Aspie? OK, OK, I don't exactly HATE it. It makes me uncomfortable. But I Do share for learning better strategies to cope, therapy and bonding purposes. Mostly, I dislike to speak (I do it way TOOooOOO much! with too much enthusiasm!) because I already know all my own stories. I want to practice listening skills. I actually love to be entertained by other people's stories! Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE to help people, if I can! : )

Last edited:
Hello Melissa,
Welcome to a great place, even if you are not an Aspie. You will know better than anyone else if you have it or not. Trust your instincts. It is a great relief to find answers to ones life where there were just questions. May your journey lead you to a happy place.

Hi Melissa! I'm new here too. It's always good to get a second opinion. I have been tested three times. I grew up a military child who moved a lot and every doctor wants to test for themselves it seems. My second testing was done by a doctor who is now under investigation for his methods. He told my mom and I that while I had all the symptoms, I didn't score high enough on an iq test in the math section to be considered on the spectrum. That didn't even make sense. Follow what you believe because one doctor is just one doctor.
Hi, My name is Melissa. I am pretty sure I have Aspergers. It would explain so many things! Was told in the past that I didn't but I'm going to get a second opinion because two people who know me very well think I do have it. It feels like I found someone who understands now! So glad to be here. Thank you. :)
m

Thanks Ebonbon! Welcome to you too. Yeah and I think more has come out about the illness too. And its probably foreign to some doctors too. Especially women's symptoms. Good night!

Although Aspergers could be considered a "Sickness", I am not one who agrees with this. Aspergers is a word used to describe how a small percentage of people view the world in a non conventional way.
We are not sick, we do not degrade unusually quickly, we don't require surgery and there is no suck thing as recovery or a cure.

I like that! You said we are a small percentage of people who view the world in a non conventional way. So true. Thanks for that. Hope you have a nice day!

While I agree with Peace, and I don't believe Asperger's is an "illness," I am wary that if NTs come to accept it as "normal" that they will take away the programs and accommodations that are so necessary for some Aspies to function in jobs and in general life. I believe the term "disorder" is the best middle-of-the-road term to describe it.

Good point Cali Cat. I have always required additional resources/help/services for my mental illnesses of OCD/anxiety. So, I wouldn't want them taken away. They have helped me greatly. I don't know if you recommended Aspergirls to read but I will get it soon. Today, I'm going to the library to request that or the Look Me in the Eyes book today to get more information; I like audiobooks. They help eliminate distractions. Disorders definitely run in my family! What about yours?

Disorders definitely run in my family! What about yours?

Most definitely. I'm one of the least affected members of my family. I'm beginning to think my mother may have been an Aspie to the same degree as myself. I'm sure my father was, plus a few personality disorders on top of that. My paternal grandfather was bipolar and became psychotic in his later years and had to be committed. My paternal aunt is eccentric as all get-out. I'm sure the list gets longer on the paternal grandfather side, but nobody ever mentioned that side of the family (I wonder why?).

Mental Illness is all over my family too. Alcoholism also. But I'm so grateful that we are looking for solutions/coping skills! So many are not willing or able to. We are the lucky and blessed ones.

Hi, My name is Melissa. I am pretty sure I have Aspergers. It would explain so many things! Was told in the past that I didn't but I'm going to get a second opinion because two people who know me very well think I do have it. It feels like I found someone who understands now! So glad to be here. Thank you. :)
Welcome, Melissa!

New Threads

Top Bottom