• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hey there...

Hello, my name is Finn and I'm 17 years old! I struggle really bad with social interactions and even writing in this forum makes me a bit anxious. I have a hard time following conversations and get distracted pretty easily which often gets me in trouble when someone asks questions about the things they told me. The first time I thought about having Asperger's was when I was in a mental institution and met another guy who's been diagnosed with it. I got along with him pretty well and understood him. I hope to meet some nice people and maybe it helps my communication skills a bit. Anyway, here I am and look forward to meeting all of you :)

Hi Finn,

Welcome to AC, no need to be nervous here as we're all sailing in the same boat. Look forwards to reading your posts.

Enjoy your stay :)

Welcome aboard Finn. I hope you enjoy the community. Best wishes. :)
image.jpg

Just interacting with this site made my anxiousness go away. I hope it does the same for you. Welcome and good luck!:)

Hi & Welcome,
Its ok to be anxious here, but you don't really have to worry about things much. The rest of us are too busy being anxious about ourselves to notice or care about any errors or awkwardness on your part.

Welcome Finn.

Socialization difficulties, accompanied by anxieties and awkwardness may be the most common trait possessed by those of us on the spectrum. This forum is the most understanding place in the world for you.

There are many resources here to assist with improving your communication skills.

Sometimes I think that Aspies are perhaps too good at communicating and that it is the NTs who need to catch up. Aspies tend to use much more precise language, on average, than does the typical NT. I don't know how many times I have been told to "dumb down" the way I talk and write.

Of course, NTs have their own strengths in areas of nonverbal communication in which aspies are typically lacking.

I suppose what I mean to say is that aspies are not worse at communication per se, they just have different strengths and weaknesses in that general category. To say an aspie is bad at communicating because they use a large vocabulary is like saying NTs are bad at communicating because they use overly complicated body language.

Hi Finn, welcome to the forum :) I have difficulty saying focused on conversations too, especially if they don't interest me - my mind wanders and I just zone out.

New Threads

Top Bottom