• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

hey is this sorta okay or not.....

Aspychata

Serenity waves, beachy vibes
V.I.P Member
So l need to ask someone what is their touch preference is? Sometimes it fluctuates? Should l ask okay touchy about touch or not so much? How do you broach this with someone who you wish not to offend?

Who? Stranger? Friend?

What sort of touch is possible? Hugging? Handshaking?

Why? Saying hello?

I'd think it would probably be okay if in a situation where you want to touch someone in some way, to first ask if it's okay if you do. If you want to touch someone casually during a conversation, I think it would be fine to just ask if they're okay with that or if they'd rather you not. Same if you want to give them a comforting pat on the back or a hug, just ask if they want it. I've seen people do this in conversations on occasion, and have never seen the other person react negatively to having been asked.

Who? Stranger? Friend?

What sort of touch is possible? Hugging? Handshaking?

Why? Saying hello?

Somebody l like(blushing). I never asked them so l don't know if l should ask. Guess l worry l haven't been sensitive enough.

I think asking is a nice idea but unnecessary. If touching is a natural part of your communication style, just do it. If he shows any negative reaction to it, of course stop it then.

man-trap-take-3gif.jpg

Funny, but I do agree with @Tom .
I guess the nurse side of me was more compassionate and I remember one day one of my patients was very depressed and I sat down, and while talking, I just placed my hand on his arm. He said I was the first nurse there that would touch him and it made him feel so isolated and lonely, so I was very glad I had. He was an AIDS patient, and because uneducated people (including medical) are afraid of them they do become very isolated. So someone might appreciate the touch.

So l need to ask someone what is their touch preference is? Sometimes it fluctuates? Should l ask okay touchy about touch or not so much? How do you broach this with someone who you wish not to offend?
I actually agree with the others here. Don't let my post from earlier discourage you. What I learned looking around here is that most people do like to be touched.

Have known them for awhile but was mad at myself not checking what their tolerance is for touch. I think they are on the spectrum, so that means this maybe more important then with NT.

I prefer not to be but can tolerate it.
If it is for a professional reason like a message therapist then it is OK.
I can enjoy that actually.
I think it is the closeness a hug or touching implies that says no.

New Threads

Top Bottom