1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

hey is this sorta okay or not.....

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by Aspychata, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Aspychata

Aspychata My Art Work

So l need to ask someone what is their touch preference is? Sometimes it fluctuates? Should l ask okay touchy about touch or not so much? How do you broach this with someone who you wish not to offend?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Fino

Fino Alex V.I.P Member

Who? Stranger? Friend?

What sort of touch is possible? Hugging? Handshaking?

Why? Saying hello?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. dragonfire42

dragonfire42 Perpetual outsider

I'd think it would probably be okay if in a situation where you want to touch someone in some way, to first ask if it's okay if you do. If you want to touch someone casually during a conversation, I think it would be fine to just ask if they're okay with that or if they'd rather you not. Same if you want to give them a comforting pat on the back or a hug, just ask if they want it. I've seen people do this in conversations on occasion, and have never seen the other person react negatively to having been asked.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. Aspychata

Aspychata My Art Work

Somebody l like(blushing). I never asked them so l don't know if l should ask. Guess l worry l haven't been sensitive enough.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
  5. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I think asking is a nice idea but unnecessary. If touching is a natural part of your communication style, just do it. If he shows any negative reaction to it, of course stop it then.

man-trap-take-3gif.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Pats

Pats Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Funny, but I do agree with @Tom .
    I guess the nurse side of me was more compassionate and I remember one day one of my patients was very depressed and I sat down, and while talking, I just placed my hand on his arm. He said I was the first nurse there that would touch him and it made him feel so isolated and lonely, so I was very glad I had. He was an AIDS patient, and because uneducated people (including medical) are afraid of them they do become very isolated. So someone might appreciate the touch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. AHClemist

AHClemist noble gas

I actually agree with the others here. Don't let my post from earlier discourage you. What I learned looking around here is that most people do like to be touched.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. Aspychata

Aspychata My Art Work

Have known them for awhile but was mad at myself not checking what their tolerance is for touch. I think they are on the spectrum, so that means this maybe more important then with NT.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Wolf Prince

Wolf Prince My future job title.

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. SusanLR

SusanLR Well-Known Member

I prefer not to be but can tolerate it.
    If it is for a professional reason like a message therapist then it is OK.
    I can enjoy that actually.
    I think it is the closeness a hug or touching implies that says no.

• Agree Agree x 2