• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hey I`m autistic just recently found out.

Hi! I'm new to this forum lark and have recently been diagnosed with ASD and ADHD! It's been a long and hard road...being on medication for depression and anxiety and rages, several counsellors even hormone treatment. It was only when things came to a head in 2010 when I was referred to the the Mental Health Crisis team that Aspergers was suggested and 4 years later I got my diagnosis. Although I'm upset that it has taken so long to discover why I am the way I am I feel like a weight has been lifted and that this is a new beginning. It's not my fault that I've struggled and found things harder than other people. Yeah I get frustrated at myself sometimes but I also see the funny side of things too. [emoji6]

It is so very relieving isn't it? I love my new psychiatrist he took me off all the meds the moment he figured out what it was. He did put me on Ritalin but it's for only when I work because I build a tolerance so fast. Let me ask you this. Did you have a lot of problems with the meds? Things not working the way it's supposed to, weird reactions, or just made you angry?

Thanks for your response! The meds are a nightmare...I'm still on an antidepressant and an....wait for it an anti-psychotic...to help me sleep. The latter makes me so dopey!! More than usual. LOL! I see the psychiatrist every six months now but she's keeping me on my meds until I see the ADHD people. I was put on something by my doctor a few years ago and that totally messed my head up!! Also had a few months on diazepam. [emoji19]< me on diazepam!!

Anti psychotic made me have seizures. Ritalin is ok but it makes my tick worse and more trouble eating and sleeping. The best thing was vibryd but it made everything to intense with my sensory problems but was great on a low dose. Unfortunately Kaiser doesn't cover it and it's $400 for a 90 day supply. Paxil is the devil I must warn you it made me just mean to everyone.

Sounds like you've been through the medication mill. I'm still waiting for the ADHD to be addressed so I haven't a clue what'll happen there! I can't believe how much your meds cost... At lease here in the UK we have the National Health Service. [emoji52]

I have had alot of recent stress over the last few years I have become more and more distant to people. I finally started to look for help. I went from being OCD toADD\ADHD, bipolar, and now autistic. What I once thought was just quirks of being a artist is actually autism. It's alot to deal with.

Hey, Jen! Nice to see another artist joining AC! I'm currently a Fine Arts major at UAA, and I'm so excited to be following my dreams of becoming an artist. Your painting is really good. The tones are lovely, and it shows pretty deep emotion. I think that for us, our art is our communication to the outside world. It is difficult to communicate with people. I find it hard just to call to set up a doctor's appointment or ask for store hours. Let's not even get into ordering at any food places. Being an artist tends to be more comfortable for us, I think, because it limits our human contact and the anxieties it can cause. I prefer an afternoon painting at home or looking for art books and plays at the library. But, I have to force myself to socialize, or I do fall back into depression. That you are taking steps to be an independent adult is very impressive. Your little one is blessed to have a mother as strong as you. I'm sorry about your father; I lost my grandfather, one of my few and very best friends, to pancreatic cancer a while ago. He got me hooked on bluegrass music when I was little and bought me my very first violin. He gave me his violin a few months before we lost him. I inherited his beloved mandolin last year. I pray for peace for you and yours during this hard time. Welcome to AC, and I hope we get to see more of your work!

New Threads

Top Bottom