• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Helping fellow Aspies in job searches in the industry I was formally employed in.

Ronald Zeeman

V.I.P Member
Yesterday I had an epipthany, brought on by a fellow Aspie on this forum searching help in networking, I am retired, he was interested in the type of work I did before retirement and would he/she be qualified for this type of position. interesting he/she would be with some assistance. A lot of other on here are perfectly qualified actually. What many here think as Weakness are strengths in this industry.

We listen to so much -nope, u can't do anything message from parents, etc. But in reality, we find a niche and are quite surprised to enjoy the work, and even be great at it.

We listen to so much -nope, u can't do anything message from parents, etc. But in reality, we find a niche and are quite surprised to enjoy the work, and even be great at it.
I have never been told i couldn't do the job itself, and have no reason to believe to. What i was told is that I can't do anything that surrounds the job, team work, befriending colleagues, getting trough the interview etc.

Coil lines by their nature are a bit of a haven for people with autistic tendences, I'll explain latter first finish my my morning routine. pay is very good for all positions even hourly most NT,s do not like not being able to socialize so after a week or tend to quit.

Last edited:
I know a lot here know nothing about coil coating and you like doing you own research. Lets get started
the first site you want to see is NCCA, national coil coaters association.

I have never been told i couldn't do the job itself, and have no reason to believe to. What i was told is that I can't do anything that surrounds the job, team work, befriending colleagues, getting trough the interview etc.
You will now be on your way I am quite willing to help with cover letters resumes who will most likely interview you questions to ask whatever else you need to know I know this industry inside and out. How to locate open positions?

I expect the next question is what type of positions? Coil lines are usually long and thin hundreds of metres, lenght of line low density workforce may be a dozen positions or less spread over the lenght.
1 entry operator
2 chemical operator
3 prime coater operator
4 finish coat /clear coat operator
5 console operator
6 helpers to various operators
7 inspectors
8 supervisor
that would be the team per shift.
All this in a huge plant the only people you might socialize with would be your helper if you were an operator. or of course the supervisor even they would have little contact as they are more worried about technical, parts of the position then the trained operators. the highest turn overs are supervisors or inspectors both salaried positions. and NT's cannot handle these type of positions well as they are not what they are used to.

Most of the management teams tend to be engineers. production manager, plant manager.

I expect the next question is what type of positions? Coil lines are usually long and thin hundreds of metres, lenght of line low density workforce may be a dozen positions or less spread over the lenght.
1 entry operator
2 chemical operator
3 prime coater operator
4 finish coat /clear coat operator
5 console operator
6 helpers to various operators
7 inspectors
8 supervisor
that would be the team per shift.
All this in a huge plant the only people you might socialize with would be your helper if you were an operator. or of course the supervisor even they would have little contact as they are more worried about technical, parts of the position then the trained operators. the highest turn overs are supervisors or inspectors both salaried positions. and NT's cannot handle these type of positions well as they are not what they are used to.

Most of the management teams tend to be engineers. production manager, plant manager.
Sounds like a male dominated industry.

I have seen woman in a number of the position's and be successfull. Sex makes no difference the ability to do any of the jobs I am currently good friend with a woman who has a master's degree in physics who joined the company as an Inspector. Lent her quite a few books on treatment systems, paint rheology. She has gotten promoted a few times now still works there. I liked discussing my ideas in physics with her. Even gave her a book from Carlo Rovelli on time when I retired. another women worked at a coffee shop asked about the chance of getting a position, started as a prime coater operator, then moved to crane operator then to inspector, then got promoted to work in the office handling internal claims . She is still there. If you have the attitude do not mind working alone or shifts, most of the hourly employees have been their for decades, very low turn over, high pay long way from a sweat shop. the machine does the work. physical labour is minimal. I was the hardest worker in the plant made all the ink.
no one else could do it not even the suppliers. Just give me good pigment I took care of the rest. A former boss described the jobs as half jobs for full days pay as you cannot hire half people to fill each of the positions. currently my former employer is so busy doing prints for garage door roofing and siding with no competition that they are at full capacity. the biggest complaint I hear from former employers too much money from over time not possible to spend it. wages or a minor part of the companies overhead.

Last edited:
I have seen two major issues with member on this forum, wanting relationships not much I can do other than give a bit of advice, and second under employment, I am in a unique position to be able to help on the second. I have a track record. it took me a few minutes to locate position currently open at some of the coaters. I could easily help some one here fill the position what information would they need to to get up to speed and let them know how well qualified are they currently for the position. coach they so the probability or of getting interviewed and landing the position would be high. Any body here with an associate degree in engineering would be a very good fit for a inspectors position I saw yesterday at one coater. Having worked in the industry I am familiar with many of the competitors of my former employer.

Last edited:
I like your style. It was because of a person like you many years ago that I fell into an oddball career that turned into a very well-paid occupation, and led to other opportunities after that.

If you like programming and know at least a little bit, and if you're willing to do a video chat with me, I could refer you. I work in a full time program where you're provided with an in-house career coach to help you deal with executive functioning skills in working with other employees. There has to be a drive for willing to move if necessary and more of a vibe for relative independence.

New Threads

Top Bottom