• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help

Molly Poser

I wish people could understand what I go through on a daily basis. People think I'm lazy because I spend so much time in my room away from sensory things. It's not just noise either. It's visual. The only way for me to calm down is to go lay down for a while. Otherwise I get crabby. Too much talking at one time overloads me. Certain voices and tones of voices including how loud someone talks bothers me. Imagine living in a world where people talking too loud or in a certain way makes you want to cry. That is my world. Will anyone besides the people that have this problem ever understand? No they won't. Most don't even care.

Does anyone experience these symptoms?

I sometimes feel that way depending on the situation. Usually I love to join in on a conversation, but I really dislike them when they turn into shouting matches or something similar. Those are the kinds of situations where I would either politely ask them to not be so noisy or just walk away from it. It's good to get away from the sensory overload once in a while.

I wish people could understand what I go through on a daily basis. People think I'm lazy because I spend so much time in my room away from sensory things. It's not just noise either. It's visual. The only way for me to calm down is to go lay down for a while. Otherwise I get crabby. Too much talking at one time overloads me. Certain voices and tones of voices including how loud someone talks bothers me. Imagine living in a world where people talking too loud or in a certain way makes you want to cry. That is my world. Will anyone besides the people that have this problem ever understand? No they won't. Most don't even care.

Yep, sure do. Loud talkers are terrible. It doesn't help that they often have a habit of selfishly droning on about themselves as well. They don't usually make me want to cry unless my frustration with their behavior is getting overly difficult to contain... because usually I want to shout something very rude at them. There is a loud-talking lady at my son's school bus stop... she is such an annoyingly loud blabbermouth that I don't go out there anymore without headphones, dark sunglasses, and a book in my face just so I can avoid her. Even with all three of these items strategically shielding my senses, she still tries to shout loud greetings to me that I surreptitiously enjoy pretending not to hear... the headphones, you see, aren't even turned on. ;) (They muffle the sound of her voice just enough by themselves while still allowing me to keep an ear out for my son in case he needs me. The sunglasses and book likewise allow me to covertly supervise my son while maintaining the illusion of having my eyes otherwise occupied.)

I understand the self-imposed isolation as well. When much of the world's behavior is so very abrasive to one's senses, a peaceful place to retreat and collect oneself is essential.

Hey Hey welcome to the forum...you are most certainly not alone with this. A lot of us here struggle with that and the perception it brings from others. I get it every day at work. Every day. SO welcome I hope you enjoy your stay. We're all here for you if you need us.

That's why after work I'd go to a park, waterfall, or woods to relax. When I worked in construction I couldn't stand the loud noises. When I worked in NYC for my father, I felt overwhelmed by the smell of oil. Got a lot of headaches when I worked in Corporations, retail + other jobs.
I never knew what was wrong with me.

Yes! Like Verum, I will purposefully play out my shield as if it is a natural part of my world. Sometimes however, this is not possible and I end up with just a blank stare while they try to figure out what I am doing ("Your Lip's Move But I Can't Hear What You're Saying"). And like Sparticus, I must slip away and return to earth to ground myself so that their energy leaves me. Once I become neutral again, I am OK.

New Threads

Top Bottom