• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Help! Can't sleep

you could turn off all unnecessary lighting and sounds, pick up a financial prospectus and read it as hard as you can, that works for me.

I've found a few different tools help me:

1. Good "sleep hygiene" - dark room with minimal electronics (alarm clock and music is it), blue light filter on my computer in the evening, turn thermostat down at night, bed used only for sleep and sex, etc.

2. The latest tool I've found for when my brain doesn't want to shut up is to imagine myself in a room in my head, putting all those thoughts into boxes for later. Then, leaving the room and closing the door and locking it. It's sort of like "closing up for the day" like an office. It gives my brain closure.

3. Listen to music, white noise, or a ticking click. I've found this helps focus my thoughts and releases everything else.

4. Write it down. Sometimes, I find my brain doing it because it doesn't want to forget something (or many things). Writing it down satisfies that "can't forget" urge without requiring my brain to focus on it.

Hope these help.

I understand the frustration. In case other people can't sleep:

On the note of meditation, I recently finished listening to an audiobook called "Search Inside Yourself" by Chade-Meng Tan for free (with my library card) through the Hoopla app, which might help you quiet your mind.

Instead of rainforest sounds, I block out noise with with a whooshing sound with a Marpac Dohm white noise machine.

And if you must use a smartphone or laptop before bed, you your phone might have a blue light blocking setting, you could get blue light blocking glasses, or reverse the color scheme on your computer which exposes you to less blue light.

Remember, along with neural diversity comes a variety of obsessive traits that serve as both blessing and curse. Sleep is so critically important to our mental health and quality of life that this is a subject that really needs to be respected and honored. These are all great suggestions for centering the mind, reducing distractions, and improving sleep outcome. Occasionally medication is required to rebalance our sleep patterns. However, if you require sleeping medication regularly, there is probably another biochemical issue: bi-polar, depression, or an anxiety disorder, that has nothing to do with your character or how you were raised, but really is about neurochemistry. A good doctor can also be of service in more extreme circumstances. Sleep medication addresses a symptom, but usually not the underlying medical problem. If you are really suffering from a sleep problem, and meditation, magnesium, massage, self-gratification, ibuprofen, benadril, breathing exercises, or chiropractic care doesn't help, find a good medical doctor and discuss your options.

I used to have HORRIBLE insomnia:( The best thing I ever tried is an all natural sleep"cocktail", that a nursing friend told me about - one Valerian, one 3mg Melatonin, and one 500mg magnesium. It's safe, non-habit forming, and all natural, and it works! Good luck <3

SEX! Maybe um masturbate and after climaxing youll beable to go to sleep? I hear you have a high sex drive and when I cant sleep it works for me, because um I have a high sex drive and sometimes cannot sleep and um doing so helps me sleep, *blush*

New Threads

Top Bottom