• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Helloooo

Kivvi_Kindi

So, I made an account on here several days ago, but I've just been creeping around and reading everything for a while. Now I'm finally going to come out of my creeper-shell and introduce myself :D
I'm sixteen and I've suspected I had some kind of mental "condition" (not really sure what word I should use here; nothing seems exactly appropriate) for a while because I was just really different and it was hard for me to find people who understood the way my mind worked. It wasn't that I thought I was a special snowflake, but more that I thought there was something just so wrong with me there might not even be a name for it. I've noticed from reading others' posts that this is a common thing, which is a relief. Basically I did a ton of research on lots of different conditions and the one that seemed to encompass the most of my traits was Asperger's, so after doing lots more research I decided to officially-not-officially self-diagnose. Always a safe thing to do, right?
I talked with my mom, who is almost remarkably neurotypical, and she didn't really want to believe it at first (I don't blame her), but she now agrees that descriptions of aspies fit me, and she actually encouraged me to finally post on this forum.
My current obsessions are cartoons (particularly 90s and early 2000s ones) and comic books. I've been interested in foreign languages my whole life, but they're so time-consuming that it's hard to devote as much time as I would like to them while still paying attention to my other interests and to school :(. Currently I'm mainly studying Japanese, and I also have minor interests in Harajuku fashion and Japanese rock music. When I was little I was obsessed with 50s and 60s TV shows, Greek and Norse mythology, and astronomy (I've still maintained a bit of that). I also like making films and have done so since I was about eight. So I've basically had a bunch of interests that come and go, but they're always very intense while they last. Sometimes I wish they were more narrowed down so I wouldn't have to choose...
I'm also in university and have made a surprising number of friends at school through language clubs and other such interest-related activities, but before this I basically had no friends and I still have lots of trouble getting close to people and opening up to them. I love talking about my interests and actually have been called "popular" by people who only see me in my "element," but I clam up completely when I'm asked to explain my feelings or when I have to use small talk or talk about topics I'm bored by. So, I guess I'm a bit more on the social end, but I am never terribly comfortable in social situations. I tend to feel like I'm playing a character and I go by little mental scripts. I'm also logical to a fault and a friend recently told me, "You can't logic everything." YES I CAN. What does he know...
Weeellll, that was a long intro. Greetings, peoples! I'm looking forward to actually participating in these forums instead of just stalking the threads and silently identifying with stuff. :)

Welcome aboard! I also occasionally binge out on comics. Batman, walking dead, Sandman.

Nice to have you join. I been a member for almost two months and I consider this site as my real home. Hope you enjoy all the content all of us shared on the site.

Welcome Kvvi_Kindi. This is a good place to be. There are lots of supportive people here!

Welcome :)

I also like to logically resolve issues, and some people don't quite know how to respond to this, but it works for me.

If you're searching for another description for what this is; perhaps one that feels more appropriate to you; I would suggest the term being "neurologically diverse", as opposed to having a "mental illness". Different people perceive AS in different ways, as it affects everyone differently, but I'm sure this is what you may have been looking for.

Since you've been lurking here for some time, I'm sure you know your way around by now, but I'll leave a few links for you, just in case.

Books on AS:
Resources | AspiesCentral.com

A good read for women on the spectrum:
Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

New Threads

Top Bottom