• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello..

Elle

I'm Elle and I got officially diagnosed with Aspergers a few days before my 24th birthday, (about 2 weeks ago). I'm still kind of lost and confused and don't exactly have a lot of people in my life to talk to about this stuff I guess. Its been a insane ride to get to this point, I was undiagnosed and misdiagnosed for years. I was an early start kid, reading at age 3, writing books at age 6, gifted program etc, but never really ever had friends... and certainly not many who stick around. I got misgianosed with Bipolar disorder at 18. At 22 I was diagnosed ADHD and Generalized Anxiety disorder. I had to switch to a new doctor and was looking into maybe joining and anxiety group. I was surprised to find she specializes in Autism research, and she told me I needed further testing but she already could tell I had some form of Autism. Testing confirmed it, backed with the fact that my dad and sister also have Aspergers, something I never really knew or recognized I guess. I'm highly detail oriented/obsessed, which is my biggest issue. I forget to sleep, sometimes forget to eat, and my instable schedule drives me insane. I'm infamous for temper tantrums and panic attacks over getting dressed, or leaving the house, so I'm finding myself missing class a lot. Its my first year back in college since I was 20, and this is making me miserable. The more days I spend out of class, the harder it is to go back. Its a never ending cycle of disorder. I can't ever focus or use time productively. My best example is making flashcards... I once spent 10 hours making flashcards and never looked at them again. Details control me. I also suffer with social problems, so group projects scare me, study groups... all of it is terrifying. I also have "tics" or "stims," (not sure what to call them anymore) involving hand/finger movements as well as touching my skin, that the doctor pointed out, and now that I notice them, its gotten worse. I'm just going insane, a 4.0 GPA student who cant seem to get out from underneath my out of control Aspergers. I'm supposed to start in some group sessions soon, so hopefully I can learn some coping skills. Anyone else diagnosed in adulthood and have problems adjusting/understanding? I could really use any advice you have! :confused:
-Elle

Hi Elle
Sorry to hear of your struggles
There is plenty of reading on here and I am sure many people that have are/have been in the same situation.

I am on here for my three year old (waiting on diagnoses for Asperger)
There are similarities with you both.
She doesn't eat prefers not to sleep everything has to be in just the right place for her.
When she just a year old I was doing some work and had screwdriver for which I have about sixty different attachments These attachments were all over the place in the case. She came along say down and didnt move again until she had taken them all out and put them all back in the correct places She did this many more times also

She has meltdowns about going out of the house scared of seeing people etc

I truly hope you get the help you need and best of luck to you

Welcome Elle

I'm sorry to hear of your struggles. Everyone deals with learning about their AS in different ways, however, I generally believe that the best remedy for calming nerves, are the following; firstly, learning to understand your AS, and how it affects you (both good and bad), and secondly, learn to better understand yourself. What I mean by understanding yourself, is that too often, many of us will compare ourselves to other people; generally NTs (neurotyoicals). By doing this, we aren't always catering to our own needs, but to the needs that others apply to their own situations. Understand your own stress triggers, and what calms you down. For example, for me, I am able to ease myself with a walk/ drive, listening to soothing music, or treating myself to something. If it makes you feel good, take note of this, and use it to your advantage. Just be sure that these rewards are good for your overall wellbeing. Talking to people about your concerns can ease them as well, so find someone to share your concerns with (either online, or a person you know). The act of stimming/ experiencing tics, is generally a sign of stress. The more you know, the better you will be able to control your situation. I hope that helps.

I recommend joining in on our discussions, and learning from others. Feel free to ask questions; oir members are quite friendly.

I also recommend checking our resources section:
Autism & Asperger's Resources | AspiesCentral.com

And I like to recommend this book in particular to our female members:
Aspergirls: Empowering Females With Asperger Syndrome | AspiesCentral.com

Hi Elle, welcome to AC.

I was late diagnosed at 50, for me it was a massive relief followed by regrets about my past. I put a lot of time into understanding myself, working with my strengths and keeping an eye on my weak points. Now I get help to deal with stuff I know I'm bad at and push the boundary on stuff I know I can handle.

My biggest aid was in learning to 'script' areas where I was weak, it has helped me function in a world I once considered not my own.

Enjoy your stay here, it's a great place to be.

Welcome aboard! :)
Coming to terms with a diagnoses can be a wild ride, from excitement and joy to depression and frustration. It takes time to adjust to such knowledge and learn to cope.
Best wishes.
image.jpg

Hi, Elle. I'm 52 and self-diagnosed a couple of years ago. I've been misdiagnosed most of my life as having general chronic depression and anxiety. Well, yeah ... I'm depressed and anxious, too, but that's the result of years of being "different" and "weird" without knowing why or what to do about it. I can relate to many of the issues you mentioned. I'm still working this out for myself, so I don't really have anything to offer except understanding. You'll find lots of people here who give good advice and can point you to useful resources. Glad you came here.

New Threads

Top Bottom