• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello!

stuffandthings

Hello everyone, my name is Caroline, and I was diagnosed with high-functioning autism a little over a year ago. It felt like finding a missing part of myself, but at the same time, it feels like I won't be able to overcome my social issues. I've never understood how to hold a conversation, and talking to new people makes me really nervous. It's been a long time since I've had any close friends, and it only got worse when I moved away for college. I love my family, but I know I need to make my own life outside of them.

I'm afraid I'll never be able to make friends and that I'll be alone. I'm now a senior in college, and although I've worked hard in school, I envy the kids who partied their way through school. I would rather have friends and bad grades than what I have now.

welcome to af.png

Welcome! Have you considered joining some sort of activity group or club? Something like toastmasters (or taking a public speaking course) might help you gain more confidence in talking to people.

Hi Caroline, welcome to the forums. Don't stress so much about friends, they happen once you get out of school and get in to the real world.

Welcome Caroline! This is a special place and at the very least you may make some online friends in the process.

I empathize with your experience. When I was in college, I never had a friend and was not particularly found of the roommates I was stuck with, from time to time, living in my dorm. I kept from going mad by learning to play contract bridge. Even so, I dropped out at the end of my junior year because I was bored with school and set out to expand my horizons.

I did not find socializing particularly attractive and only, and quite slowly, worked my way into it by hanging out in specialty bookstores where my interests and passions were not looked on as strange or weird. As for partying, that will come if you let it. You just need to learn that you are not as alone in the world as you might think. I say this from the vantage point of being very similar to you back in college and having survived and thrived in the world. Your life is yours to live, there are both hurt and joy along the way, but what really matters is what you are passionate about and that is where you can find meaning and fulfilment when you least expect it.

This is a great place where you can be yourself without fear of judgement.

New Threads

Top Bottom