• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello Im Tia

Tia

Hello my name is Tia and i was hoping to get some helo assitance for my son. I have two children with autism, my daughter is high functioning and my son is more moderate/severe.

My son is 12 and was diagnosed when he was 3. My daughter was just diagnosed in November after years of fighting with doctors. My son has never been fully self sufficient but in the last year has really regressed. The school started complaining about 10 months ago that he wouldn't sit or talk or write will at school.

For awhile we thought they were crazy because when we would get him in evening from daycare he was our normal happy child. One day I had a meeting during the day at the school and what I walked into broke my heart it was my child in the flesh but he had no idea who I was he was making a noise I never heard him make before and doing moments with his body I had never seen.

Long story short after multiple tests and doctor visits we still have no answer. He is in what's almost like a psychotic state from 8-4 (timeframe changes) while in this state he wont eat drink sit use restroom or touch anything. At 4 he comes out of it as if nothing has happened. We have noticed that it's almost like he can tell when it's coming but can't control it.

Has anyone else experienced this? What was the outcome? A doctor suggested autistic catatonia but there is not much information on it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I know nothing about it but people here will have some suggestions.
Only while he is at school? If I understood you correctly and it only happens during school, then something about the school isn’t right, for him.

That's what we thought at first but it still happens on the weekends so we were unsure.

The time also changes and he does different things at different places for instance at school and home he won't sit when he is like this but at my mother in law's house he sits.

Hi Tia

welcome to af.png

I agree with @BraidedPony about the school. If you consider routines, it's possible that between those same hours he has learned this is what he needs to do for survival or whatever reason. What does you M I L do that allows him the ability to sit? Any idea?

New Threads

Top Bottom