• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello from Sandiney

Sandiney

Hello All,

My user name is Sandiney and I'm glad to be a part of this forum. I'm a graduate student in special education and about two months ago my professor approached me about having (HFA) high-functioning autism.

Before this conversation, I thought I had autism, but none of my friends and my family confirmed my belief. Everyone just wrote it off as me being a "ditzy blonde."

During my undergraduate time at my university, some of my peers thought I was just "slow" and thought maybe I had ADHD.

At first it bothered me to the nth degree to admit to myself that I have autism, since I lived to be what I thought was a normal life. I had finished two bachelor degrees with a 3.29 GPA, while raising my kids. Plus, I worked. However as I began to examine my social relationships and behaviors, I had to admit to myself that their was a difference.

I now believe my autism is my gift. It is awesome to have passions for subjects that don't consume normal people. My unemotional nature has helped me to maintain a cool head in emergency situations. The fact that I am rule-oriented and don't follow the social-norm has kept me safe. I love having the hyper-focus to where I can tune everything out.

I don't like it when I stem though, I pace in a circle numerous times and notices that it bothers normal people. I also have a hard time with job transitions. If I'm trained for one task, it is hard for me to switch to another.

I aspire to be an autism advocate and educate the public and I hope to hear from everyone.

Thank You,

Sandiney

ac-welcome-banner.jpg

Do you know why people thought you were slow? You definitely don't come off as being "slow".

I know various people on the spectrum who're perceived as being "slow" due to them being overly quiet. To some, for a person to be very quiet means they're "slow" . . .

ac-welcome-banner.jpg

Do you know why people thought you were slow? You definitely don't come off as being "slow".

I know various people on the spectrum who're perceived as being "slow" due to them being overly quiet. To some, for a person to be very quiet means they're "slow" . . .
and

I believe it was because I was taking German and didn't pronounce the language extremely well. I have trouble hearing cetain vowel sounds and was taking the course with the "gifted" students. Plus, the faculty did not do differiated instruction and expected everyone to keep pace.

Thank you for introducing me to this ides that I may be an AS. I think it might me so. But, i see that I am unique, but never slow. In fact I am too quick for others.

I think it is probably true for you that you process data faster than NTs, but I'm usually judged as being "slow" because of how I interact socially; however, NTs judgements are not a true reflection of my intelligence. I just don't respond socially at the same speed and I don't usually bother to discuss being on the AS spectrum because they look at me like I'm insane.

New Threads

Top Bottom