• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello everyone.

MM80

First post so pls be gentle.
39 yrs old male uk, last week i was diagnosed with asd. I suspect im higher functioning, not that it really matters to me where i am, im autistic.
My story hopefully will be familiar. I presented at the doctors with depressive symptoms after what i now believe was a burnout. I was sent on my merry way with antidepressants. They helped me function to some extent. For the next twenty years i fell into the category of a depressed person who needed antidepressants. I went through them all and they helped to mask some autistic traits. I saw many mental health proffesionals and none spotted any signs of autism. friemds who had family members or some connection with autism woukd comment about me, and it became too much to be a coincidence. I had a breakdown last year and demanded to be tested for utism instead of a new antidepressant. I have now been diagnosed.
Mixed feelings. Some relief that some of my past mistakes often came from a lack of awareness allround and there are reasons. Some sadness that there is no cure and that im somewhat limited in life compared to a nuorotypical. Also a bit of frustration and anger that its took so long to be diagnosed although there is nobody to blame.
Just looking for some validation of my experience and or support.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hi MM80

Welcome to the Forums. There are quite a few around from the UK. Hang around a bit and you will discover who.

Hello and welcome my diagnosis was also late (40yrs old) and not dissimilar to yourself it’s been tough to accept a lifelong neurological difference, not sure Autistic people have less advantage than NT individuals, certainly it presents (or can) difficulties for myself anxiety and depression and challenges to like myself but knowing and accepting who you are and your value will certainly make for a happier life. I hope you find comfort and support within this community

upload_2020-3-9_18-0-49.png

Welcome to the forums. I was diagnosed at 12 (asperger's) and my mother never told me about it. So then I struggled through the next 25 years taking antidepressants and self medicating, until I finally got reassessed (twice) as having ASD-1 at 37. So yes, I can definitely relate.

Hello and welcome my diagnosis was also late (40yrs old) and not dissimilar to yourself it’s been tough to accept a lifelong neurological difference, not sure Autistic people have less advantage than NT individuals, certainly it presents (or can) difficulties for myself anxiety and depression and challenges to like myself but knowing and accepting who you are and your value will certainly make for a happier life. I hope you find comfort and support within this community
Many thanks. I do feel better for knowing who i am, and having a label thats a bit nicer than weird, or odd lol. I also hope you are right about us not being disadvantaged. Its just that i still feel our society is a bit behind with autism. My doctor doesnt know what it is and their seems to be very little support in the uk for adults.
Thanks

Welcome to the forums. I was diagnosed at 12 (asperger's) and my mother never told me about it. So then I struggled through the next 25 years taking antidepressants and self medicating, until I finally got reassessed (twice) as having ASD-1 at 37. So yes, I can definitely relate.
Im sorry but that sounds awful on mums part? Im sure she had her reasons, maybe to protect you, or maybe some denial? Either way surely would have been better knowing ?Alcohol has been my crutch and has caused me problems.
Thanks

Many thanks. I do feel better for knowing who i am, and having a label thats a bit nicer than weird, or odd lol. I also hope you are right about us not being disadvantaged. Its just that i still feel our society is a bit behind with autism. My doctor doesnt know what it is and their seems to be very little support in the uk for adults.
Thanks
There is a big unbalance between support/understanding for adults and that may change,my experiences lead me to not expect reasonable adjustments from relationships or employment and regardless of your presumed deficits do your best day by day to find then do the things that make you happy.

There is a big unbalance between support/understanding for adults and that may change,my experiences lead me to not expect reasonable adjustments from relationships or employment and regardless of your presumed deficits do your best day by day to find then do the things that make you happy. Alcohol continues at time to be my ‘support’ and like yourself it’s had negative impact.

Im sorry but that sounds awful on mums part? Im sure she had her reasons, maybe to protect you, or maybe some denial? Either way surely would have been better knowing ?Alcohol has been my crutch and has caused me problems.
Thanks

I think mainly because she thought it could make her look bad is the reason why she didn't tell me or anyone. In hindsight I probably wouldn't be where I am had so known about it, but still would have appreciated some help and understanding for the first 37 years of my life. But, you are right, back then especially and even now there is very little autism awareness and a lot of stereotypes.

Hi and welcome. I am glad you have got a meaningful diagnosis, at least it's a key that explains some of how you experience the world. There may not be a cure, but at least it enables you to devise strategies around how you are. I understand that there's no cure for being neurotypical either, btw... we all just have to hack it. And as has been said, there's upsides. I hope you enjoy it here, people are friendly.

:seedling::hibiscus::herb::fallenleaf::leafwind::blossom::cat:

Your Mom didn't tell you, & Mine simply refused to acknowledge it outright even though I knew.

A very big welcome to you!

Your now in a wonderful place that is chock full of super intelligent & nice folks.
Heck, even this sites administrator is pretty awesome.

New Threads

Top Bottom