• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hello All - I'm 80 yrs old, undiagnosed....

Richard Haard

Life has been good. After university I struggled to find a career that fit and after 3 'failures' stumbled into a magic job that allowed me to thrive and totally occupy myself for about 30 years. I can keep working if I want but my mind and body are slowing down and I just cannot do it. In this world I made for myself I have become isolated socially and need to find a way to adapt to retirement. With my lady of 55 years.

I think this transition will go well for me. There will be depression but is never severe for me. I am concerned my autism spectrum will ?evolve as I grow older. I'm wondering how to raise this concern with my GP in an upcoming annual physical and to not raise a flag subjecting me to testing and analysis I do not want or need.

For me learning to adapt often takes very long time. Relief from stuttering as a youth through my Ph.D prelims was accomplished by finally meeting a therapist who also stuttered and showed my how to relieve my tension about speaking. Inside me there is anger that I was not 'recognized' and given council to help me find a better path for myself as when my professor advised me to seek help after my disastrous oral prelim.

I'm thinking I need a similar tool to the help me to adapt. It was a simple, 'hang on I'm having trouble getting this out' that relieved my tension. However when I'm frozen up in a social situation, I'm reluctant to say something about my poor social skills.... or mention autism because I am undiagnosed.

Admitting this to myself, I'm autism spectrum, has taken a long time.

welcome to af.png
Hi Richard :)

Life has been good. After university I struggled to find a career that fit and after 3 'failures' stumbled into a magic job that allowed me to thrive and totally occupy myself for about 30 years. I can keep working if I want but my mind and body are slowing down and I just cannot do it. In this world I made for myself I have become isolated socially and need to find a way to adapt to retirement. With my lady of 55 years.

I think this transition will go well for me. There will be depression but is never severe for me. I am concerned my autism spectrum will ?evolve as I grow older. I'm wondering how to raise this concern with my GP in an upcoming annual physical and to not raise a flag subjecting me to testing and analysis I do not want or need.

For me learning to adapt often takes very long time. Relief from stuttering as a youth through my Ph.D prelims was accomplished by finally meeting a therapist who also stuttered and showed my how to relieve my tension about speaking. Inside me there is anger that I was not 'recognized' and given council to help me find a better path for myself as when my professor advised me to seek help after my disastrous oral prelim.

I'm thinking I need a similar tool to the help me to adapt. It was a simple, 'hang on I'm having trouble getting this out' that relieved my tension. However when I'm frozen up in a social situation, I'm reluctant to say something about my poor social skills.... or mention autism because I am undiagnosed.

Admitting this to myself, I'm autism spectrum, has taken a long time.
Wow! Your story is amazing! Congrats on your marriage of 55 years! How long have you known you were in the spectrum?

Welcome to AutismForums! I was diagnosed when I was 62 and I am 72 now. It is a pleasure to welcome someone who is actually old than I am.

Hello and welcome!
Adapting can be difficult and your marriage is amazing.
I hope you like it here. I am an older Aspie too. Not diagnosed until I was 58.

Hi Christie - My own determination -very recent as I have analyzed my life path over the last 2 years.
Everything is certainly starting to make sense now for the first time ever . Not sure if you saw this book I posted , but it’s really good and was given to me by my therapist.

Attachments

• 90C26EB3-E490-4670-AAC5-01E9185BBA6C.jpeg
    90C26EB3-E490-4670-AAC5-01E9185BBA6C.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 0

New Threads

Top Bottom