• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Have you been involved with Autism Research?

Have you been involved in ASD research?

• Yes (I chose to)

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Yes (someone made me)

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • No, but I want to

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No, but my son/daughter has

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, and my son/daughter has

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

@liamod

IrisDroidology
Hey everyone. Just quick post asking if you have been involved in Autism Spectrum Disorder research. I have been involved twice, both voluntarily.

First time was when I was 11 to see if my parents had given me autism (Telethon Kids Institute), I had a blood test and a few other tests.

Second time was when I did a physical survey about being bullied, which took place over 2 days at a convention at Curtin University.

I just wanted to ask you to cast your comments in the poll!

Thanks, Limo

No, I was diagnosed as an adult and the only research I have seen has been for/about kids.

I was asked to participate in a research study for adults with a diagnosis, who have or do suffer from depression. It was being conducted by a university and health trust. I gave up an afternoon to sit tests and do multi choice questionnaires. Their computer was to randomly choose candidates for their program from those that had applied, but I wasn't chosen. I was instead offered 'talking services' from my local health trust. I made three appointments with them and scheduled time off work. They cancelled each appointment with little notice, due to no one being available or computer problems logging appointments etc. They then wrote to me and said as I'd been offered three appointments which (they) had cancelled I must attend or I'd go to the back of the list! I was furious I phoned them but they weren't interested so I told them to discharge me as they were useless. A couple of months later the study people wanted me for one of three follow ups to see how someone who had had absolutely no help was coping, compared to the people they had chosen and given help to for the last two months! I said I wasn't interested, and I wouldn't participate in anything like that again.

There was a study posted on here once about post-secondary opportunities for those with ASD and I chose to participate.

Eye movement study, for mental health research, not specifically autism, but autism is part of that, I'm diagnosed Aspergers and Adhd, so in a roundabout way. Does this count? includes blood tests, and IQ type tests

I was involved with a questionnaire prepared by the research group who under took my diagnosis.

Main conclusion was that there is little support for adults. Real milk turns your cornflakes soggy stuff.

New Threads

Top Bottom