• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has anyone seen The A Word?

Misty Avich

I have ADHD
V.I.P Member
It's a British TV drama series about autism. I think it's good, and I love the way the NT characters in it have their own quirks and communication difficulties, because that's giving us all the message that NTs aren't perfect and they all have their own problems and insecurities too, and can lack empathy, etc. It makes autism look like less of a problem and more like a different brain wiring. In fact I think if they all communicated like Joe there'd be no problems at all, everyone would just get on with things and get along with each other lol.
Of course I understand Joe's character is just one autistic and that not every autistic person is the same as him. I certainly wasn't like Joe as a kid but he's such a lovable character.

It was a good show. Joe is a fairly marginal character. I was pleased Christopher Eccleston's character wasn't unpleasant.
Where the show really excels is actually its portrayal of Downs Syndrome, in my view.

It was a good show. Joe is a fairly marginal character. I was pleased Christopher Eccleston's character wasn't unpleasant.
Where the show really excels is actually its portrayal of Downs Syndrome, in my view.
Yes, I was going to say that too. I like the way Ralph is not "stupid" or "childish" like what people think downs syndrome is. Like us he struggles in the NT world but he still knows what he wants. He's a sweet character.

I thought it was a good show. I saw it streaming on Prime. There's a 3rd season apparently and for whatever reason it's alluded to on Prime for well over a year and it's never been made available there. It's making me doubt that it ever will be so I'll likely never see the last season.

I thought it was a good show. I saw it streaming on Prime. There's a 3rd season apparently and for whatever reason it's alluded to on Prime for well over a year and it's never been made available there. It's making me doubt that it ever will be so I'll likely never see the last season.
I have the third series on DVD too. I'm hoping they'll do a forth series because I'd like to see a teenage Joe.

New Threads

Top Bottom