• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has anyone experienced trichotillomania?

YES, at some point in junior high, I began plucking at hair at the top of my head, pulling them out. It was a very confined area, perhaps the size of a quarter or so; always the same area. I'd just pluck here and there. I don't know why. This went on for about two months, I believe. Then one day (and I don't recall if it was a deliberate inspection or a coincidental thing), my fingertips were on the "pluck area," and I felt stubble where there should've been hair. This alarmed me so much (a "bald spot!"), that I quit the plucking cold turkey and never returned to it. Nowadays, in middle age, I have this full head of hair, and get very upset if a strand comes out by accident.

YES, at some point in junior high, I began plucking at hair at the top of my head, pulling them out. It was a very confined area, perhaps the size of a quarter or so; always the same area. I'd just pluck here and there. I don't know why. This went on for about two months, I believe. Then one day (and I don't recall if it was a deliberate inspection or a coincidental thing), my fingertips were on the "pluck area," and I felt stubble where there should've been hair. This alarmed me so much (a "bald spot!"), that I quit the plucking cold turkey and never returned to it. Nowadays, in middle age, I have this full head of hair, and get very upset if a strand comes out by accident.
I’m glad that you could get rid of it. I still struggle. I’ve been working on it all my life and somehow I always get back to it when I am stress and anxious. I’m trying to avoid triggers and it’s been working so far. Thank you for sharing

I have problems with pulling my hair out. It's both a compulsion and done for sensory reasons. I've recently mostly stopped this behaviour, but I still do it if I get really stressed or bored.

I have problems with pulling my hair out. It's both a compulsion and done for sensory reasons. I've recently mostly stopped this behaviour, but I still do it if I get really stressed or bored.
Thank you for answering. I got triggered by anxiety or boredom too.

New Threads

Top Bottom