• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Has anyone ever gone through what I have been through?

I have a gift that I was born with. Like so many people with Asperger's Syndrome, I am great with animals. However, I have taken this gift one step farther. I have had the opportunity to work in three zoos in the last five years. I found that I could communicate with them. Not like Dr. Doolittle, but I believe when I talk to them, they understand me. I have been able to work with monkeys, lions, tigers and pumas. As well, I took care of sick and injured animals and birds. I often ask if anyone has ever kissed a monkey on the lips. I know, it sounds crazy, but they are just as passionate as people. At the moment, I am unable to work with the animals. I have my memories and I hope that someday I can get back to doing what I enjoy most.

I have a gift that I was born with. Like so many people with Asperger's Syndrome, I am great with animals. However, I have taken this gift one step farther. I have had the opportunity to work in three zoos in the last five years. I found that I could communicate with them. Not like Dr. Doolittle, but I believe when I talk to them, they understand me. I have been able to work with monkeys, lions, tigers and pumas. As well, I took care of sick and injured animals and birds. I often ask if anyone has ever kissed a monkey on the lips. I know, it sounds crazy, but they are just as passionate as people. At the moment, I am unable to work with the animals. I have my memories and I hope that someday I can get back to doing what I enjoy most.
You could volunteer at a sanctuary ( they will probably will be one very close to you )there is a sanctuary in Australia that take volunteers all the time.

No wolves though?;)

Unfortunately there are no sanctuaries where I live. And by the way, wolves are some of the most misunderstood dogs in the world. I have known someone who had one as a pet. Unfortunately in the rural country area I live in, there are only livestock.

Unfortunately there are no sanctuaries where I live. And by the way, wolves are some of the most misunderstood dogs in the world. I have known someone who had one as a pet. Unfortunately in the rural country area I live in, there are only livestock.

Though personally I am not that interested in animals, I think it nice to hear about your interest in animals. Do you get to see animals often or not? If possible, would you want to volunteer with organizations that work with animals?

By the way, regarding your nephew, while personally I believe unless you have legal guardianship of him or if he is being abused or neglected (in which case finding a way to keep him safe and notifying social services may be important) he is primary his parents' not your responsibility, are there literally no support services for people with Asperger's and other ASDs where you live (e.g. social groups, supported employment)? Something that might be difficult is that I think it is possible and perhaps even likely that many group homes, supported living and supported employment may be designed for people with intellectual disabilities and not people with normal IQ, but where I'm from there are organizations (perhaps more that are non-government) offering supported employment and other services for people with ASDs with at least normal (70 or above) IQ. Any such services where your nephew is? Hopefully he has the potential for independent living, perhaps it's just that hasn't shown it in front of you yet? Especially if he is still relatively young hopefully his independent living skills would improve?

I am still financially dependent on my parents, however if I was in your nephew's position especially if there was a lack of resources for people with ASDs in the nearby area I would want to be as prepared as possible for independent living, perhaps by improving skills where I was weak at (e.g. if one could needs help learning how to keep track of and pay bills that could be worked on). Perhaps with the situation approached with a "best-case" and "worst-case" scenario in mind: to be working towards and expecting the best outcome foreseeable, but also keeping in mind what supports (ideally that realistically are available in the nearby area) may be necessary if one never develops the ability to live independently.

New Threads

Top Bottom