• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Hanging on to our childhood likes

As I'm a bit fond of mentioning, I rediscovered my favourite childhood series of books --The Worst Witch. I absolutely loved reading the whole series (5 more than when I was a kid), it was much easier than the first time round, probably due to undiagnosed dyslexia. Reading them was really quite wonderful. Usually I just read technical stuff. I do remember I came back from school one day to find my mother had done one of her "clear outs". Basically she would tear through my room while I was absent and throw out most of my belongings. I remember I got upset and asked for my Worst Witch books and I was told I wasn't allowed them as I shouldn't be reading "girls books" and I was too old for them (I was 9 at this point).

I'm rather unapologetic about my attachment to things that made me feel good (however briefly) as a child. They were often unceremoniously ripped away from me when my mother got into one of her moods. I'm told she has a diagnosis of a Personality Disorder, and I strongly suspect it's the Narcissistic type based on what I experienced.

So over the years I've "reunited" with my "old friends". But yeah, I guess I am a bit obsessive concerning some of these things. I discovered that I had 14 variations of the computer my dad bought me when I was 11. I own an identical car to one (it may even be the actual car!) I used to see on my way to school in the 80s/90s. I used to see it go past each day and think it was the greatest thing I'd seem on 4 wheels and I would have one, one day!

Now I have quite the nerdy collection of computers and (let's call them) figurines and models. They make me feel happy, and my childhood very often was unnecessarily miserable.

I was never allowed to just enjoy things. I remember my mother used to come to my room when I had finished up my homework and I was about to reward myself with a quick game of Crazy Cars 3 or Fantasy World Dizzy on my computer. She would say things like "If you play computer games you will become Autistic". Seriously she said that! Then she explained that I would end up like "those kids in Romania on the news" --repeatedly banging their heads against bedframes etc. So this is what I came to believe Autism was.

I suspect, perhaps someone had suggested at school that I displayed some Autistic traits. So perhaps that motivated her to say that to me. Of course, it's just my theory. But she was the type to think she could somehow bully these things out of me.

Looking back, I was clearly Dyslexic. I had people recommend I get tested several times. At school I even spoke to a councillor about getting tested and they agreed that it was worth ruling out. I had to fill in a form (I had informed my mother about this at every stage by the way) and of course due to my age I had to get a signature for permission to sit the test.

She got real angry at me and refused, suddenly now telling me that I " had already been tested" and it was negative. She also told me that it was "unfair to others" and they would think I was "attention seeking". I got a test finally 10 years later and it turns out I had been Dyslexic all along and they could find no record of any previous test. I felt really annoyed that I had struggled all the way through school and it was likely avoidable. I suspect if I had an ASD test, I might get similar news.

So the way I see it, after all she put me through, I'm going to enjoy these things from my childhood and it's like a gigantic middle finger to her lol! I may just draw a picture of me and the original Mildred Hubble flying on broomsticks and set it up on a billboard across from her house! :smileycat: :smileycat: :smileycat: :smileycat:

You only get one life and you should enjoy what you want to enjoy, even if others see it as "childish".

I’m 20 and still obsessed with Super Mario. Ever since I played Super Mario 64 for the first time, I never looked back. Super Mario has always been there throughout my life and I have a very deep attachment to the series. Yet I also feel like this could be considered childish. Super Mario is a series considered for “all ages” but for some people something “family friendly”/“all ages” would mean “childish” to them. I’m also still really into the animated movies I saw as a kid.

I am still obsessed with TV shows and comics and i think i will always be.

@MildredHubble The worst witch series was one of my favorites too! It definitely had good world building, and it was better than most witch books i read (and i read a lot) Fantasy is still my favorite genre of novels.

Last edited:
I am still obsessed with TV shows and comics and i think i will always be.

@MildredHubble The worst witch series was one of my favorites too! It definitely had good world building, and it was better than most witch books i read (and i read a lot) Fantasy is still my favorite genre of novels.
I agree! I noticed that Jill Murphy uses lots of quite advanced words that would certainly expand a younger readers vocabulary. But she doesn't over do it to the point where I'd imagine they would be put off.

I just love the world she created. It's whimsical but with just a little peril at times. Nothing truly bad happens. At least nothing that doesn't get happily resolved at the end :)

Keep in mind that in the past people died in the same world they were born into. What was popular in their childhood was still popular in their adulthood. Only when things started moving very fast is when you saw older generations having an almost different culture from the younger generation.

Last edited:
I agree! I noticed that Jill Murphy uses lots of quite advanced words that would certainly expand a younger readers vocabulary. But she doesn't over do it to the point where I'd imagine they would be put off.

I just love the world she created. It's whimsical but with just a little peril at times. Nothing truly bad happens. At least nothing that doesn't get happily resolved at the end :)
I remember the book where they take a trip to an island. It Somehow stuck with me. Also Ms. Hardbroom lol.

I remember the book where they take a trip to an island. It Somehow stuck with me. Also Ms. Hardbroom lol.
That was the 4th book I think! It was a nice story and of course Mildred saves the day! The thing I thought was quite funny is that she faked swimming the same way I did as a kid lol! :)

This morning when I was making my morning coffee I was happily singing away to myself and I suddenly realised, I've been singing the same song since I was about 3 years old. There's no words, just nonsense sounds that fit the tone and miter. And it's not really a tune so much as a conglomeration of tunes.

I don't know where I got them from, probably from adverts on the TV and radio, sometimes there's a little bit of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in there too.

Have I held onto my childhood likes? Not really. I grew up and...worked. Paid bills. Worked some more.

(Nevermind that there is a lego fort on my nightstand. [How'd that get there!?] Or that my gardening--which I've done since I helped my mom tend hers as a small child--is totally non-conventional. It's just this wonderful mass of green. [Or was. We've since had a good frost.] I kind of have a Breyer horse collection I add to every so often--but I only add the models from the 70's & 80's. I still listen to the same music. My rock collection I had to leave behind when I moved, but I still have this habit of picking up things I find & bringing them home. Lately, it's brightly colored bird feathers. I will always be a beachcomber. I miss creek walking--hubby won't go. I learned to crochet when I was three and, despite an injury that makes it difficult to crochet, I have this surprising yarn collection that is starting to grow again [with some help from a generous bequeather of spare yarn!]. I am thinking of taking up knitting and seeing if my wrist can handle the motion better. I have all of my favorite childhood books in the living room still--even though the grandkids could care less. [I'm still upset they trashed my original lego boxes & that I let them open my $300 lego pirate ship. Pretty sure I vacuumed up a few pieces when they were done--after stepping on them & breaking a few! So, no! They cannot play with my legos anymore!] Recently, I rediscovered the joy of learning while in my Master's program. It's like something you can't get enough of. I actually cried in the class where this rediscovery happened--it felt like I was rediscovering myself. It reminded me so strongly of that sense of awe and wonder and discovery I loved as a child. I am so sad that I have now graduated. Maybe, if I get this teaching position as an adjunct, maybe I'll be able to share some of that passion for learning and the awe and wonder that comes with discovery with my students. I would sure like to be able to do that.)

Mm. Maybe I'm not all that different than I was as a kid. Just quite a bit more outgoing and quite a bit more somber. (Too many bills?)

Mm. Maybe I'm not all that different than I was as a kid. Just quite a bit more outgoing and quite a bit more somber. (Too many bills?)
Before retiring, engineering was very much the domain of my childish side, comparable to solving puzzles & playing with Legos. ;)

My hubris has changed a little since then. One of my sons recently gifted me with a Gear Ball. I am hesitant to scramble it knowing the (positive) anxiety that it will induce trying to solve it. I would be less anxious if I had a printed solution to fall back on. I still do other puzzles, like Sudoku or Mastermind, because I have found them to be solvable while being varied.

Last edited:
Before retiring, engineering was very much the domain of my childish side, comparable to solving puzzles & playing with Legos. ;)

My hubris has changed a little since then. One of my sons recently gifted me with a Gear Ball. ...
Just curious, what is a gear ball? Is that like a Rubiks Cube?

It is a variant of...
I stumbled on to the solution of Pyraminx & others on my own, but I need a book for the regular Rubik's Cube.
That is really cool. Maybe I'll add that to my Christmas shopping list for my grandson. He's really good at math and puzzles.

(Rubiks Cube & I had a parting of the ways when I was...4? 5?...and I discovered that a butter knife could pop off the pieces and I could reassemble it however I wanted. Discovering the cheat sort of diminished its fascination.)

Have I held onto my childhood likes? Not really. I grew up and...worked. Paid bills. Worked some more.

(Nevermind that there is a lego fort on my nightstand. [How'd that get there!?] Or that my gardening--which I've done since I helped my mom tend hers as a small child--is totally non-conventional. It's just this wonderful mass of green. [Or was. We've since had a good frost.] I kind of have a Breyer horse collection I add to every so often--but I only add the models from the 70's & 80's. I still listen to the same music. My rock collection I had to leave behind when I moved, but I still have this habit of picking up things I find & bringing them home. Lately, it's brightly colored bird feathers. I will always be a beachcomber. I miss creek walking--hubby won't go. I learned to crochet when I was three and, despite an injury that makes it difficult to crochet, I have this surprising yarn collection that is starting to grow again [with some help from a generous bequeather of spare yarn!]. I am thinking of taking up knitting and seeing if my wrist can handle the motion better. I have all of my favorite childhood books in the living room still--even though the grandkids could care less. [I'm still upset they trashed my original lego boxes & that I let them open my $300 lego pirate ship. Pretty sure I vacuumed up a few pieces when they were done--after stepping on them & breaking a few! So, no! They cannot play with my legos anymore!] Recently, I rediscovered the joy of learning while in my Master's program. It's like something you can't get enough of. I actually cried in the class where this rediscovery happened--it felt like I was rediscovering myself. It reminded me so strongly of that sense of awe and wonder and discovery I loved as a child. I am so sad that I have now graduated. Maybe, if I get this teaching position as an adjunct, maybe I'll be able to share some of that passion for learning and the awe and wonder that comes with discovery with my students. I would sure like to be able to do that.)

I have 2 fresh Lego sets to build! One is a cute Sonic the Hedgehog set my girlfriend got for me and the other is a Toyota Supra set. I need to build them, I've been letting too much "grown up stuff" get in the way! :smileycat:

I have 2 fresh Lego sets to build! One is a cute Sonic the Hedgehog set my girlfriend got for me and the other is a Toyota Supra set. I need to build them, I've been letting too much "grown up stuff" get in the way! :smileycat:
Post a picture of them when they're done!

& have fun with them! Life's too short not to have a little fun--especially with legos.

That is really cool. Maybe I'll add that to my Christmas shopping list for my grandson. He's really good at math and puzzles.

(Rubiks Cube & I had a parting of the ways when I was...4? 5?...and I discovered that a butter knife could pop off the pieces and I could reassemble it however I wanted. Discovering the cheat sort of diminished its fascination.)
@Misery, here, has an extensive collection.

Post a picture of them when they're done!

& have fun with them! Life's too short not to have a little fun--especially with legos.
I use Legos Megabloks in my 1:6 scale, amateur drawing studio, Studio 126.
Lego Sofa (w/Nichelle0 & Mike)
full

New Threads

Top Bottom