• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Guys, don't get attached to women you meet online.

I am merely going to correct an assumption as to not be misunderstood by others. I do not wish to antagonize my discussion partner. I merely wished to point out that his personal experience, however extensive, is statistically irrelevant both for quantity and methodologically. They all have one common factor, himself. A factor that is not present on a larger statistical scale. This is why personal experience should never be statistically analysed, but weighed and compared.

Your mindset can affect your personality, but it doesn't affect things around you. Being optimistic, or pessimistic doesn't change the personality of someone else.

I never said you could change someone else's personality. It shouldn't be your intent to. Your mindset affects your surroundings through your behaviour. If you believe something is shallow, you will treat it as such. Generating different results than if you're optimistically open to the situation and don't try to force your own pre-set goals.

To return to the point at hand: Intimate bonds can be formed over the internet, but as someone's online identity is an incomplete form of their physical presence, romantic compatibility is always an unsure factor. In my experience, which I don't claim to be empyrical, being interested in psyche rather than intimacy results in much more interesting experiences.

Ironically, I'm not one for using dating sites. I've met people online but it was always through a shared interest or activity. I prefer to begin a (romantic/platonic)relationship on the basis of some common ground. The only thing everyone on dating sites have in common, is their interest in finding an (emotional and/or sexual) partner. Their motivations and personalities cover too broad a range to generalize.

its definitely possible to form a true attachment to people online, not even on dating sites. its just another medium on which to interact with people, after all. people form attachment over mail, over telegraphs, over radio, and so on. this is no different. :D
That wasn't my point and you just like to stir the pot. Remember discord?

Once more:
This is not a personal debate area.
This is not an area for members to engage with each other
on an argumentative level.

Dredging up past history is argumentative.

I would re-phrase that to 'guys and girls, be cautious when you establish online friendships/relationships'. It's not impossible or even rare for online connections to work. There is some sort of validation process necessary at some point, but that can occur just in the normal flow of communication. If something strikes you as suspect, listen to your instincts and be on your guard.

I've been on the internet long enough to know that not everyone says who they are online. Some people are more open online but very private in real life and vice versa. There is also catfishing, pretending to be someone your not. I think this is a fair warning for both genders not just males, and not only that NT and the ND/ASD community.

New Threads

Top Bottom