• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

GRUMPY CAT NEEDS HELP ON "DIPLOMACY" PAPER

Well, it seems to be too much of a coincidence that Britain, Russia and France are all squeezing Germany into oblivion at the same time!

Turkey looks as though it's not made any alliances with anyone. And it appears that Italy is not in an alliance with Britain or Russia. Germany and Austria-Hungary have played so badly it makes me wonder at times if they had an alliance at all. Historically speaking they're supposed to be the aggressors!

Does Russia look like its in with anyone?

Does Russia look like its in with anyone?

That's a good question given one concern. While both Britain and Russia (and France) are doing a "full-court press" on Germany, note that lone British fleet in the Barents Sea. It forces Russia to maintain an army in their supply center, St. Peterburg.

They might be cooperating in part against a war with Germany. However it looks pretty clear Britain and Russia would make for uneasy allies given the disposition of that one fleet. There may well be no formal alliance the more I think about it.

Turkey might have made a limited alliance with Russia. Not a mutual defense treaty, but simply a non-aggression pact. Can't really tell for sure. If I play Russia I usually don't bother with Turkey. Usually too many concerns in the Warsaw area.

Regarding England and Turkey - Can Turkey go through Syria and grab Englands supply centers?

You lost me there. Syria is on the other end of the map from England. If you are asking can a player circumnavigate the map, the answer is "no". Amusing question though! :p

The only way you can travel and wage long distance war is with contiguous fleets convoying armies spanning various bodies of water.

You lost me there. Syria is on the other end of the map from England. If you are asking can a player circumnavigate the map, the answer is "no". Amusing question though! :p

The only way you can travel and wage long distance war is with contiguous fleets convoying armies spanning various bodies of water.

This one piece of information I'm using is saying "Englands "backdoor" in the North Atlantic is more difficult to defend than Turkeys back door in Syria". What does that mean?

This one piece of information I'm using is saying "Englands "backdoor" in the North Atlantic is more difficult to defend than Turkeys back door in Syria". What does that mean?

ROTFLMAO. I don't really know. It just dawned on me that the game version I always played was the original...circa 1961. Simple point- they may have changed the rules. But to me this would make no sense. But now I see why you asked that previous question. NT vs. Aspie interpretation? Maybe....:confused:

It may simply reflect the geographical vulnerability of both Britain and Turkey in that an opponent can convoy armies using fleets all the way to those two countries' "back door". Something more landlocked nations don't have to worry about as much. However there are more avenues of approach where Britain is concerned, given it's an island nation.

Of course historically speaking this factor is an asset more than a liability. The game doesn't differentiate in how truly hard it is to tactically and logistically cross the English Channel. A lot of time passed from 1066 to 1944 to reflect this reality. 878 years! :eek:

Note how often while I discuss the game, I like to parallel it with historical realities. This may help you on your analysis of it all...

Last edited:
I think Russia is in with Turkey.

Stands to reason. Neither country has much to gain from attacking one another. Their issues lie to the west....not north or south. A non-aggression pact is the way to go.

Turkey was a country I always enjoyed playing. Never once considered attacking Russia.

No, I think they are in cahoots with each other. It says with an alliance between Russia and Turkey, Russia usually demands that Turkey not go into the Black Sea.

No, I think they are in cahoots with each other. It says with an alliance between Russia and Turkey, Russia usually demands that Turkey not go into the Black Sea.

"Stands to reason" means I agreed with you. That they likely have a non-aggression pact. And if not, they should. But Turkey's lack of movement reflects a probability that they don't have any mutual defense agreement in place either. But once Italy leaves the Eastern Med Turkey might start moving westward. They have nothing to lose chasing Italy. But if they venture northward into the Balkans they'll likely be facing eventual hostilities with Russia.

If I were Turkey I'd go for the easy play and stick to attacking Italy, and stay out of the Balkans beyond Bulgaria. Maybe make a deal with France to carve up Italy's possessions provided France doesn't get there first...which frankly looks almost certain. But for France to seriously get involved in the Mediterranean Sea means they need fleets they don't presently have. Should be interesting to see how Turkey and France deal with one another.

The big "wild card" I see is Britain. They'll need to gobble up their allies' supply centers to win the game while Russia and France can still attack Italy and Austria-Hungary. Leaving Britain as the first to likely break their alliance or whatever terms they have between France and Russia. That British fleet in the Barents Sea...should be VERY ominous to Russia very soon!

Last edited:
Britain could hit Russia.

I think it's inevitable. That British fleet in the Barents Sea isn't there for goodwill. But timing is everything.

Britain should wait until Germany is effectively taken off the map. Then hit Russia hopefully before Russia moves on Austria-Hungary's supply centers.

Last edited:
Same degree I have except bachelors - no extra salary, but a lot of extra debt! :mad: (And lots of extra stress which means possibly more gray hairs and more wrinkles! :eek:) Crap.
GC if you don't mind sharing, I'm not familiar with nursing educational requirements. What do you have now, a 2 year Associates degree? In what major? And now you are pursuing a Bachelor's degree? Are you currently an LPN, or what?

Also, how many classes are you taking right now & how many hours are you working? I know you have a pretty full plate (plus Waldo :)), but I was curious as to the particulars.

GC, I just scanned through this thread ... Community College, so you're studying for your Associates?

And wow Judge, you are a GOOD FRIEND as well as quite the historian. :)

GC if you don't mind sharing, I'm not familiar with nursing educational requirements. What do you have now, a 2 year Associates degree? In what major? And now you are pursuing a Bachelor's degree? Are you currently an LPN, or what?

Also, how many classes are you taking right now & how many hours are you working? I know you have a pretty full plate (plus Waldo :)), but I was curious as to the particulars.

I have an ADN which is a Registered Nurse with an Associates degree. Now that is not enough to be able to work for certain hospitals. Most hospitals want a nurse with a Bachelors degree. However, the reason I got the job I have now is because of my 13 yrs of experience. Some hospitals still care more about experience - which I also believe is more important. Every extra class I have done so far is not going to help me with patient care. With all this extra work I'm doing, I'm not able to spend that time working more or taking classes that would actually benefit me in my work. I am taking a class in May (when this one is over) that specifically deals with critical care patients and is being taught through the hospital.

They always tout how education is so important. Then teach me something that I am really going to use and that will benefit me and my patients! College Algebra, Statistics and International Relations isn't it! This subject makes me so angry because the newer nurses coming out of school think they are so much better just because they have a Bachelors degree. I would trust my life more to the nurses that I have worked with that have the ADN's! ADN's have more clinical classes than Bachelors. More bookwork does not save lives!!!!!

I have an ADN which is a Registered Nurse with an Associates degree. Now that is not enough to be able to work for certain hospitals. Most hospitals want a nurse with a Bachelors degree. However, the reason I got the job I have now is because of my 13 yrs of experience. Some hospitals still care more about experience - which I also believe is more important. Every extra class I have done so far is not going to help me with patient care. With all this extra work I'm doing, I'm not able to spend that time working more or taking classes that would actually benefit me in my work. I am taking a class in May (when this one is over) that specifically deals with critical care patients and is being taught through the hospital.

They always tout how education is so important. Then teach me something that I am really going to use and that will benefit me and my patients! College Algebra, Statistics and International Relations isn't it! This subject makes me so angry because the newer nurses coming out of school think they are so much better just because they have a Bachelors degree. I would trust my life more to the nurses that I have worked with that have the ADN's! ADN's have more clinical classes than Bachelors. More bookwork does not save lives!!!!!

There is of course something to be said for being able to complete rigorous academic study etc... BUT I agree that a liberal arts Bachelors degree is not directly relevant in any way to making someone a better or more knowledgable nurse. It only proves that someone is academically inclined & can complete a varied range of course work.

Given the stress, anxiety & difficulty all this is presenting for you, plus the cost, I wonder if at this stage in your life & career it's really necessary.

Btw, the true cost includes not only the direct costs but also the opportunity cost of the lost earnings while you re-direct your time from work to school, & also the cost of any borrowing. Meanwhile too you are not saving for your retirement. Your hospital may have a 401K or 403B match that you're missing out on, & you're missing out any potential investment returns from the money you're not earning therefore saving.

Someone starting out in nursing may be required to have a BS, but your existing education plus 13 years of experience should be sufficient to keep you gainfully employed. Look at how quickly you were re-employed last year despite all your concerns. Sure you looked hard & had disappointments during your job search, but that is common in all industries given the economy & job market (which are weak & poor, respectively). In a competitive work environment I can see how you would (or could) be at a disadvantage applying for certain positions at select hospitals. But assuming you don't wish to relocate all over the country, I wonder how much that would affect you.

You mentioned debt ... I assume you're taking these classes at a CC for transfer to a 4 year school. Have you calculated out your approximate total cost & total expected borrowing (net of the possible $1,000/semester tax credit)? I would do that if you haven't already.

Education should be viewed as an investment. It's a better expenditure than buying material goods that meet a want (versus a need); but people still need to evaluate the cost versus benefit & know upfront their total borrowing needs. Another consideration is how far along are you already in this process.

This is NOT to discourage you my favorite Grumpy Cat lady, but just to give you something to think about when you have time.

There is of course something to be said for being able to complete rigorous academic study etc... BUT I agree that a liberal arts Bachelors degree is not directly relevant in any way to making someone a better or more knowledgable nurse. It only proves that someone is academically inclined & can complete a varied range of course work.

Given the stress, anxiety & difficulty all this is presenting for you, plus the cost, I wonder if at this stage in your life & career it's really necessary.

Btw, the true cost includes not only the direct costs but also the opportunity cost of the lost earnings while you re-direct your time from work to school, & also the cost of any borrowing. Meanwhile too you are not saving for your retirement. Your hospital may have a 401K or 403B match that you're missing out on, & you're missing out any potential investment returns from the money you're not earning therefore saving.

Someone starting out in nursing may be required to have a BS, but your existing education plus 13 years of experience should be sufficient to keep you gainfully employed. Look at how quickly you were re-employed last year despite all your concerns. Sure you looked hard & had disappointments during your job search, but that is common in all industries given the economy & job market (which are weak & poor, respectively). In a competitive work environment I can see how you would (or could) be at a disadvantage applying for certain positions at select hospitals. But assuming you don't wish to relocate all over the country, I wonder how much that would affect you.

You mentioned debt ... I assume you're taking these classes at a CC for transfer to a 4 year school. Have you calculated out your approximate total cost & total expected borrowing (net of the possible $1,000/semester tax credit)? I would do that if you haven't already.

Education should be viewed as an investment. It's a better expenditure than buying material goods that meet a want (versus a need); but people still need to evaluate the cost versus benefit & know upfront their total borrowing needs. Another consideration is how far along are you already in this process.

This is NOT to discourage you my favorite Grumpy Cat lady, but just to give you something to think about when you have time.

I already know I have to do what I'm doing. After being fired and having to look for another job, I found how difficult it was to find a hospital I could even apply at - most only want nurses that have a 4 yr degree or you have to get it by a certain time.

Debt-wise it will cost about $10,000. I did all my prerequisites at a community college, but now the bridge program I have to be admitted to is at a university and will be costing more. I don't see it as an investment since I won't get paid anymore than I am now. That's why I've been putting it off for so long as it is because I had weekend option at my other job. I was just telling my Ma about this nurse I worked with this last weekend - she got her master's degree and took this education job. She ended up coming back to the hospital and doing floor nurse work as weekend option because she made tons more money working the weekend option position and said the master's degree only put her into debt. The only reason I'd get a master's would be to be a nurse practitioner in a doctors office and get away from the hospital work entirely. A doctors office would be easier when I got older, but a floor nurse can actually make more than a nurse practitioner too.

I already know I have to do what I'm doing. After being fired and having to look for another job, I found how difficult it was to find a hospital I could even apply at - most only want nurses that have a 4 yr degree or you have to get it by a certain time.

Debt-wise it will cost about $10,000. I did all my prerequisites at a community college, but now the bridge program I have to be admitted to is at a university and will be costing more. I don't see it as an investment since I won't get paid anymore than I am now. That's why I've been putting it off for so long as it is because I had weekend option at my other job. I was just telling my Ma about this nurse I worked with this last weekend - she got her master's degree and took this education job. She ended up coming back to the hospital and doing floor nurse work as weekend option because she made tons more money working the weekend option position and said the master's degree only put her into debt. The only reason I'd get a master's would be to be a nurse practitioner in a doctors office and get away from the hospital work entirely. A doctors office would be easier when I got older, but a floor nurse can actually make more than a nurse practitioner too.
Total debt $10K & you're a practicing nurse with experience is fine. Now it's just the stress & gray hair to worry about! :D

New Threads

Top Bottom